The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Attention Luddites: Full Self-Driving is Here! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125535)

dvarapala 04-18-2021 1:10pm

Attention Luddites: Full Self-Driving is Here!

snide 04-18-2021 1:15pm

Didn't watch. What happens when the police pull over a self driving Tesla? :bigears:

dvarapala 04-18-2021 1:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1874641)
Didn't watch. What happens when the police pull over a self driving Tesla? :bigears:

They give Elon the ticket. :lol:

Bill 04-18-2021 1:18pm

I would like to "hang out in the back seat" with the blonde chick. Does this make me a Luddite?

Vandelay Industries 04-18-2021 1:19pm

Quote:

Depends what color the car is. :island14:

Vandelay Industries 04-18-2021 1:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1874643)
I would like to "hang out in the back seat" with the blonde chick. Does this make me a Luddite?

:iagree:

snide 04-18-2021 1:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1874643)

Depends on if the blonde "chick" is VegasJen.

Rikki Z-06 04-18-2021 1:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1874648)
Depends on if the blonde "chick" is VegasJen.

:lol:

VITE1 04-18-2021 1:44pm

This is inevitable. The computing power and sensor capabilities are available. The software will be the key to make it safe.

It will take a few years for laws to be sorted out and then it will fast become standard equipment.

BayouCountry 04-18-2021 2:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1874656)
This is inevitable. The computing power and sensor capabilities are available. The software will be the key to make it safe.

It will take a few years for laws to be sorted out and then it will fast become standard equipment.

I don’t see how it can work safely without all cars self driving. Have you ever driven in Louisiana?

Self driving cars will become a must in cities like Los Angeles. The only solution to the grind lock is for all cars to have a reserved spot in traffic.

snide 04-18-2021 2:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouCountry (Post 1874665)
I don’t see how it can work safely without all cars self driving. Have you ever driven in Louisiana?

Self driving cars will become a must in cities like Los Angeles. The only solution to the grind lock is for all cars to have a reserved spot in traffic.

*grid

The other solution is to avoid big cities. :yesnod:

VITE1 04-18-2021 2:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayouCountry (Post 1874665)

I've been to Louisiana. And hundreds of other places. What will happen is all cars will end up being able to share their sensor and current conditions with others vars and work as a network while in range of other cars.

As I said most cars will have a self drive option with in a decade. It's inevitable.

Will 04-18-2021 5:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1874656)

:yesnod:

People vastly overestimate the importance of human intelligence and perception when it comes to navigating the road - it can absolutely be completely replaced, and with improved results, by autonomous driving tech.

The argument that computers don't have the ability to "feel" the road like humans and see/anticipate what a driver might do is bunk. The computer, via sensory input (video, radar, etc.) may not see the driver in the other car nodding off, or getting angry, but it will see the 1st incremental move off-course their vehicle makes instantaneously and calculate all the probabilities/decide on safest course of action before you can blink.

Things like GPUs may not be on the level of the human brain overall, but unlike you and I the system is being designed for one task and one task only, and autonomous driving systems will blow the human brain out of the water for that single task they are designed to do.

Plus legitimate automakers are legitimately and responsibly working on this technology, and not using consumers and other motorists as crash test dummies like Tesla is. Their antics are giving the autonomous driving revolution a bad name.

Mick 04-19-2021 6:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1874677)
I've been to Louisiana. And hundreds of other places. What will happen is all cars will end up being able to share their sensor and current conditions with others vars and work as a network while in range of other cars.

As I said most cars will have a self drive option with in a decade. It's inevitable.

I know a couple of guys currently working for GM in their autonomous driving development, and they tell me this is NOT a goal, in fact, the opposite is true. Having cars operating autonomously while connected to the internet, or some other network, opens up an opportunity for evil-doers to create tremendous havoc by hacking the system. While in development, the cars are connected to the internet, but the end goal is to have them logically isolated when operating on the road.

Aerovette 04-19-2021 7:22am

There was an accident in Houston this weekend. A Tesla wrecked and caught fire. 40,000 gallons of water to put it out and a phone call to Tesla for help. Two dead. One in the backseat, one in the passenger seat. The car was apparently driving itself. No driver.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...exas/100078068

VITE1 04-19-2021 7:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1874778)
I know a couple of guys currently working for GM in their autonomous driving development, and they tell me this is NOT a goal, in fact, the opposite is true. Having cars operating autonomously while connected to the internet, or some other network, opens up an opportunity for evil-doers to create tremendous havoc by hacking the system. While in development, the cars are connected to the internet, but the end goal is to have them logically isolated when operating on the road.

I did not say they would connect to the internet. I do say that that cars will communicate with each other and share data in a near field group type of exchange.

Aerovette 04-19-2021 7:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1874802)
I did not say they would connect to the internet. I do say that that cars will communicate with each other and share data in a near field group type of exchange.

I think license plates should be cell numbers.

Olustee bus 04-19-2021 7:39am

Quote:

It makes you an idiot, just like so many other members. You end up with a bitch of a wife and a life of misery until she dumps you.

Not like me, I am a complete idiot who would do something like that several times. :dance:

dwjz06 04-19-2021 9:03am

F that and no thanks. I will drive myself.:seasix::cert:

Steve_R 04-19-2021 9:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1874800)
There was an accident in Houston this weekend. A Tesla wrecked and caught fire. 40,000 gallons of water to put it out and a phone call to Tesla for help. Two dead. One in the backseat, one in the passenger seat. The car was apparently driving itself. No driver.

Darwin was right. :yesnod: