The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Controlled burn? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29009)

RonC5 01-31-2012 2:21pm

Controlled burn?

Looks like an "uncontrolled burn" to me. This is looking out the front door of our building.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...rolledburn.jpg

VatorMan 01-31-2012 2:23pm

Got some marshmallows ? Looks like s'mores time.

Stangkiller 01-31-2012 2:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 561210)
Looks like an "uncontrolled burn" to me. This is looking out the front door of our building.

Meh controlled uncontrolled, what's the difference, we've got a bunch of soon to be vacant buildings out there.

MEC5LADY 01-31-2012 2:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 561211)
Got some marshmallows ? Looks like s'mores time.

Yum S'mores.:dance:

RonC5 01-31-2012 2:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 561215)
Meh controlled uncontrolled, what's the difference, we've got a bunch of soon to be vacant buildings out there.

Could be part of the plan. HQ is on the remodel list.

Stangkiller 01-31-2012 2:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 561219)
Could be part of the plan. HQ is on the remodel list.

I'm trying to recognize the building...is that the Space Station Processing building with the tall doors?

RonC5 01-31-2012 2:42pm

O&C. I am in the EDL that is just south of the SSPF. HQ is just west of the O&C building.*

* Secret NASA terms
O&C = Operations and Check-out
SSPF = Space Station Processing Facility
EDL = Engineering Development Labratory
HQ = Headquarters

Bucwheat 01-31-2012 2:46pm

They have a "Controlled burn" in the swamps in south Georgia each year and the smoke comes up as far as Augusta and surrounding areas,It gets so thick in south Ga. they have to put up lighted signs and there are several wrecks during that time,People with Asthma and allergies have a hard time for a week,I see not advantage .

mrvette 01-31-2012 3:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucwheat (Post 561230)
They have a "Controlled burn" in the swamps in south Georgia each year and the smoke comes up as far as Augusta and surrounding areas,It gets so thick in south Ga. they have to put up lighted signs and there are several wrecks during that time,People with Asthma and allergies have a hard time for a week,I see not advantage .

Thing that gets ME about this 'burn' shituation is, all these green weenies and leaving everything ALONE, and yet they allow this??

can't even shoot a rat or cat without them bitching about it....

WTF???

then there is that arson fire off I75 there the other day and 11? dead over it, ....thing that strikes me strange is all these FIRES over this nation in the last several years now, didn't used to be the shituation, so WHAT GIVES??

I suspect islamic terrorist warfare, myself....good way to destabilize a society, and cheep too....

:sadangel::leaving:

Stangkiller 01-31-2012 3:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 561247)
Thing that gets ME about this 'burn' shituation is, all these green weenies and leaving everything ALONE, and yet they allow this??

can't even shoot a rat or cat without them bitching about it....

WTF???

then there is that arson fire off I75 there the other day and 11? dead over it, ....thing that strikes me strange is all these FIRES over this nation in the last several years now, didn't used to be the shituation, so WHAT GIVES??

I suspect islamic terrorist warfare, myself....good way to destabilize a society, and cheep too....

:sadangel::leaving:

Natural forest fires happen...we humans step in and attempt to put it out as quickly as possible for a number of reasons. This unfortunately means some very important cleaning up of the brush doesn't actually occur. So these controlled burns are absolutely necessary for the local eco system.

KSC also has a VERY bad Hog problem, clearing the brush should help with controlling the hog population as well.

Doug28450 01-31-2012 3:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 561254)
KSC also has a VERY bad Hog problem, clearing the brush should help with controlling the hog population as well.

And make a nice hog roast.

Entropy 01-31-2012 3:39pm

Quote:

Natural forest fires happen...we humans step in and attempt to put it out as quickly as possible for a number of reasons. This unfortunately means some very important cleaning up of the brush doesn't actually occur. So these controlled burns are absolutely necessary for the local eco system.

:iagree:

No controlled burns = what happened last summer in Texas and Arizona.

mrvette 01-31-2012 3:39pm

Quote:

Shit, and we BUY pork a Winn-Dixie?? time to head south and take out a few pigs....NO???

I remember trips to SD Ca. years ago, looking over the border to Mexico and seeing barren natural land, look to USA and seeing all that green, and now hearing of all them fires....something don't jibe with my observations....

all you all can figger the same logic, I don't have to spell it out, I HOPE...

same for here in Florida.....there is a missing link from long ago as to just WHY we have to 'control burn' areas....

:waiting:

Stangkiller 01-31-2012 3:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 561257)
Shit, and we BUY pork a Winn-Dixie?? time to head south and take out a few pigs....NO???

Nasa hires contractors to help control the pig population out there...iirc the minimum on those contracts is several per day MINIMUM.

We knew a trapper who had the contract one year, it's a full time job trying to control the pig population out there.

If you're near the Space Coast area and want some wild hog meat, I'm sure I can make a few phone calls. :yesnod:

mrvette 01-31-2012 3:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 561262)
Nasa hires contractors to help control the pig population out there...iirc the minimum on those contracts is several per day MINIMUM.

We knew a trapper who had the contract one year, it's a full time job trying to control the pig population out there.

If you're near the Space Coast area and want some wild hog meat, I'm sure I can make a few phone calls. :yesnod:

I know of two vette guys down that a way who well maybe interested....

i'ts about 2 hours south of me to Coca off I95 that's south of Titusville iirc....

GREAT area, should have moved there 15 years ago, except I would not have met my wifey poo.....

:lol::cert:

Stangkiller 01-31-2012 3:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 561268)
I know of two vette guys down that a way who well maybe interested....

i'ts about 2 hours south of me to Coca off I95 that's south of Titusville iirc....

GREAT area, should have moved there 15 years ago, except I would not have met my wifey poo.....

:lol::cert:

Now's the time to buy a mansion for pennies on the dollar down there. I grew up on Merritt Island. Honestly I'm pretty glad I got out when I did.

My dad just sold his house on Merritt Island this month for a MAJOR loss.

GRN ENVY 01-31-2012 4:24pm

:willy:

mrvette 01-31-2012 4:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 561270)
Now's the time to buy a mansion for pennies on the dollar down there. I grew up on Merritt Island. Honestly I'm pretty glad I got out when I did.

My dad just sold his house on Merritt Island this month for a MAJOR loss.

SHIT, that's too bad, I lucky in that I reversed out at the last second on my mortgage on this house, in the nick of time in '08 when I realized the financial end was near....for me and the housing/construction industry....

I just wish I was much smarter in the MONEY management end of things....

that reverse mtg. company is SO far under with this house over the last ~3 years, they never recover, and a FAT CHANCE they EVER getting me to leave until they carry may dead ass over the door step....eff em all forever....

it may be the only decent move I have done since down here....
that and marry my wife here now....

:cert:

island14 01-31-2012 9:56pm

I thought a controlled burn was putting a little spit on the side of the joint where the paper was burning too fast.

RonC5 02-01-2012 7:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 561721)
I thought a controlled burn was putting a little spit on the side of the joint where the paper was burning too fast.

So did I, but appearantly the Govment thinks different. And in their wonderful planning they did this on a weekday, resulting in heavy, heavy smoke over the entire Cape. The smoke alarm is going off in our lobby. Smoke is starting to be visable in the building, eyes are starting to water, coughing everywhere. I predict we will be sent home before long.... if I am still here. It is that bad. Already have a headache.