The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Talk me out of a Waterguru Sense (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125412)

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 10:35am

Talk me out of a Waterguru Sense

We bought a new house in October which has a pool, its my first pool. So far ive kept the same pool guy since, but the Feb freeze caused my pool to need more maintenance than once a week (although he wasn't as reliable after the freeze either). Ive bought a vacuum and scoop but I haven't messed with chems yet.

Does anybody have any thoughts on a digital pool monitor vs the old school test strips? Im pretty sure the test kits are simple enough, but i worry if ill use it often enough vs something that does it automatically.

This Waterguru keeps catching my eye. https://waterguru.com/product/waterguru-sense/

:cert:

snide 04-02-2021 12:20pm

:shrug:

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1870731)

I figured one of yall fuggers were as cheap as me and wanted to fire the pool guy. Just looking to keep it simple.

Vandelay Industries 04-02-2021 12:25pm

How does buying a water buffalo make sense?

https://media.londolozi.com/wp-conte...0/AAF_5124.jpg

snide 04-02-2021 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1870733)
I figured one of yall fuggers were as cheap as me and wanted to fire the pool guy. Just looking to keep it simple.

I've never owned a pool, so I have no opinion. The price of that Waterguru device throwaway money, so really, what do you have to lose by trying it? If it replaces a few visits by the pool guy each year, it could very well pay for itself.

Aerovette 04-02-2021 12:37pm

I'd get it and let it rip. Keep verifying with your own testing until you are convinced it is accurate/working. Sit back and have a beer while waiting for Barners to show up for their own independent water testing.

Dan47 04-02-2021 12:38pm

I used chemical strips for years. Pretty simple really, no need to get fancy.

Bill 04-02-2021 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1870740)
I'd get it and let it rip. Keep verifying with your own testing until you are convinced it is accurate/working. Sit back and have a beer while waiting for Barners to show up for their own independent water testing.

I just need to know if it has an alarm that goes off if somebody pees in the pool. You know, for science.

:hide:

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1870742)
I just need to know if it has an alarm that goes off if somebody pees in the pool. You know, for science.

:hide:

I have a toddler...and friends like yall, doubt i need an alarm to know somebodys peeing in the pool

Aerovette 04-02-2021 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1870743)
I have a toddler...and friends like yall, doubt i need an alarm to know somebodys peeing in the pool

Exactly. Watch someone have 4 beers and never get out of the water...there's your sign.

Rodnok1 04-02-2021 1:07pm

Alot of cash for fancy test strip replacement.. And it uses C batteries LOL.
I've had pools half my life or more and test strips worked just fine. I just went out once a day cleaned it some and tested the water, i went away from chlorine many years ago to auto dispensing systems.

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 1:12pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1870744)
Exactly. Watch someone have 4 beers and never get out of the water...there's your sign.

Theres a bar table and stools ready to go.....Hope to have a bbq sometime this year...but need to get repaired from the freeze (three busted pipes and lost the master ceiling) and some sort of landscaping around the pool again. We lost 16 trees/bushes around the pool.

Aerovette 04-02-2021 1:19pm

Where are you located these days? I can dedicate a weekend or two. Unless you have a guy.

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 1:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1870749)
Where are you located these days? I can dedicate a weekend or two. Unless you have a guy.

Moved across the street into Sienna. :yesnod:

Aerovette 04-02-2021 1:30pm

Let me know if you want some help.

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 1:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1870752)
Let me know if you want some help.

Thank you so much!

All the house repairs are stopped pending spray foam availability...I’m told at least another 4 weeks out.

But I did get to run power for some additional flood lights plus cameras and speakers while waiting.

Craig 04-02-2021 5:16pm

I’m now 20 plus years into my first pool. The best thing I did was convert it to salt water. With that done, I get it tested (for free) when I open it up. They tell me what to do, chemical wise. Once I’ve done that, I test it again to make sure all is well, then I don’t worry about it. I add clarifier and algeacide (sp?) once a week. If it’s not turning a funny color, it’s fine.

Stangkiller 04-02-2021 6:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 1870819)
I’m now 20 plus years into my first pool. The best thing I did was convert it to salt water. With that done, I get it tested (for free) when I open it up. They tell me what to do, chemical wise. Once I’ve done that, I test it again to make sure all is well, then I don’t worry about it. I add clarifier and algeacide (sp?) once a week. If it’s not turning a funny color, it’s fine.

Nice, I'm chlorine for now but not ruling out converting at a later date. Im just looking forward to using it! Also looking to convert the single speed 2.2pumps over to variable speed to work better with the generator....but baby steps i guess.

Farther research says this cant replace the test kits, so i might as well start with a test kit first.

MadInNc 04-02-2021 6:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1870733)

... following your lead. Pool wont open for a few weeks here

MadInNc 04-02-2021 6:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 1870819)

we just moved into new joint w Salt Pool. Will be open in a few weeks. Have to install a new Salt cell also. Will be learning:yesnod:

After "they" open the pool, i hired for three "cleanings" to watch, learn and replicate:seasix: