The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Commercial Space Flight in our Time (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126300)

BayouCountry 07-11-2021 10:42am

Commercial Space Flight in our Time

Branson just did it. Looks like something to add to my bucket list.

Bill 07-11-2021 10:48am

Just watched it.....pretty cool.

And it makes sense. I always thought, why would you use yuge rockets to propel your craft from the ground, when you could do what Branson just did.....use a plane to get your craft up as far as you can, to where the air gets thin, then use less power to propel your space-going craft the rest of the way? You use an inordinate amount of fuel just trying to gain speed and altitude just to get to 30 or 40 thousand feet, why not just start your journey from that altitude?

Steve_R 07-11-2021 10:54am

That’s WAY down my bucket list of things to spend lots of money on.

BayouCountry 07-11-2021 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1896565)

And it makes sense. I always thought, why would you use yuge rockets to propel your craft from the ground, when you could do what Branson just did.....use a plane to get your craft up as far as you can, to where the air gets thin, then use less power to propel your space-going craft the rest of the way? You use an inordinate amount of fuel just trying to gain speed and altitude just to get to 30 or 40 thousand feet, why not just start your journey from that altitude?

Yep. Less stress on the body and I would think it's safer. I like having a pilot on board instead of fully automated flight like others are proposing.

ZipZap 07-11-2021 12:37pm

More humans in space today than any time in history:seasix:

VatorMan 07-11-2021 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1896565)

I would think it has to deal with the amount of weight you are trying to get up there.

Grey Ghost 07-11-2021 2:16pm

It was all sketchy about it happening until, mrvette, found the torque specs. and got all the bolts torqued down.

ZipZap 07-11-2021 3:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1896592)
It was all sketchy about it happening until, mrvette, found the torque specs. and got all the bolts torqued down.

BS. He left one out and used jb weld. Drilled two 1/8" holes in the rear gasket. Dude's a jeeeenyus!:D

73sbVert 07-11-2021 3:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1896600)
BS. He left one out and used jb weld. Drilled two 1/8" holes in the rear gasket. Dude's a jeeeenyus!:D

🤣😂🤣

Grey Ghost 07-11-2021 7:23pm

Chuck Yeager, launched to break the speed of sound in a rocket plane at altitude.

It would be a fun ride when they light the rocket. The telemetry was cool. I know some SR71/U2 pilots skirted the edge of space. I don't know, if they crossed over the boundary or not?

04 commemorative 07-11-2021 8:49pm

If I had disposable income I would go up in a second :seasix:

markids77 07-12-2021 7:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1896640)
If I had disposable income I would go up in a second :seasix:

And I damned sure wouldn't do it in Bezos' Big Blue Dildo.

99 pewtercoupe 07-12-2021 7:23pm

If I had the money and inclination to do it, my preferences for who I would go with would be

Musk

Branson

Bezos

Steve_R 07-12-2021 8:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1896840)
If I had the money and inclination to do it, my preferences for who I would go with would be

Musk

Branson

Bezos

You can have them. I’ll go with the Friday Five. :dance:

ZipZap 07-12-2021 8:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1896848)
You can have them. I’ll go with the Friday Five. :dance:

If I had that kind of disposable coin, it wouldn't be to just get a glorified airplane ride...:rofl:

Chemtrails99 07-13-2021 5:35am

Air launch is safer for crew/ passengers. A rocket is nothing more than a ballistic weapon with a crew capsule replacing the warhead. If it has issues on take off, you die. In a lifted air launch if something goes wrong you clear the mothership and glide back down. Before the replacement program for Shuttle was canned one of the competing companies was proposing a 747 towed Orbiter for the safety factor......

Mick 07-13-2021 8:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1896626)
Chuck Yeager, launched to break the speed of sound in a rocket plane at altitude.

It would be a fun ride when they light the rocket. The telemetry was cool. I know some SR71/U2 pilots skirted the edge of space. I don't know, if they crossed over the boundary or not?

The SR-71A holds the record for highest sustained air-breathing flight of just over 85,000 feet. Even in the US, where the boundary is considered 50 miles high, that is 50 x 5280 = 264,000 feet. I have vague memories of stories of pilots using momentum to temporarily get them higher than 85,000 feet, but I doubt they got above 264K.

DJ_Critterus 07-13-2021 9:37am

Oh look, that commie libtard Brian Stelter or whatever his name is went on record spounting off some bullshit questioning if space flight was a good idea during the times of KungFlu and global warming..err... what are they using now? Oh, that's right, Climate Change.

Chemtrails99 07-13-2021 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1896583)
I would think it has to deal with the amount of weight you are trying to get up there.

More weight/ size? Upscale the size of the mothership/ spacecraft. Which has already been done: https://techscalar.com/wp-content/up...2e9b05_b-1.jpg