The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Is it pilfering possible on a checking account? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127830)

zeek 02-08-2022 8:40am

Is it pilfering possible on a checking account?

I keep very good records of my account on a daily basis. A few months ago, I noticed a discrepancy between my check balance and what the bank was showing by over 200 bucks. I went thru my account, but could not find the error. I just did a reconciliation in my check book to match the bank balance and chalked it up. Now 4 months later, there is another balance discrepancy of close to 300 bucks. I went all the way back to the previous reconciliation and only found one error for approx 14 bucks. WTF?

Could a bank employee be pilfering small amounts from everyone's check account hoping it goes unnoticed?:confused5:

6spdC6 02-08-2022 8:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeek (Post 1939820)
I keep very good records of my account on a daily basis. A few months ago, I noticed a discrepancy between my check balance and what the bank was showing by over 200 bucks. I went thru my account, but could not find the error. I just did a reconciliation in my check book to match the bank balance and chalked it up. Now 4 months later, there is another balance discrepancy of close to 300 bucks. I went all the way back to the previous reconciliation and only found one error for approx 14 bucks. WTF?

Could a bank employee be pilfering small amounts from everyone's check account hoping it goes unnoticed
?:confused5:

When money is involved anything is possible.

Dan47 02-08-2022 9:08am

I think that was happening to me and others stationed in Germany back in the day? I’d notice five or ten dollars missing from time to time. Not huge amounts but for a lower rank, single GI, it made a difference and some of my friends reported the same. I can’t remember which bank had the contract but maybe BoA?

Hope you get it figured out zeek. Time is money. Five or ten dollars a month might not be worth the time spent trying to figure it out? But two or three hundred would be to me.

Rodnok1 02-08-2022 10:16am

Did they start a "maintenence" fee you didn't notice.

ratflinger 02-08-2022 10:27am

Go to the bank and pull the official records. Compare their accounting to yours. Only one of you is right.

Steve_R 02-08-2022 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratflinger (Post 1939833)
Go to the bank and pull the official records. Compare their accounting to yours. Only one of you is right.

This. My bet is the bank is right. There's no way to "pilfer" money from accounts without leaving a trail.

6spdC6 02-08-2022 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratflinger (Post 1939833)

In this area they will charge you to help in balancing your account if they prove if its your fault. If its their fault then no charge.

Note they hardly ever find its their fault!

Steve_R 02-08-2022 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1939842)
In this area they will charge you to help in balancing your account if they prove if its your fault. If its their fault then no charge.

Note they hardly ever find its their fault!

They hardly ever find it's their fault because it's almost never their fault. :yesnod:

Mick 02-08-2022 12:13pm

Do you have online banking? I do, and it makes it easy to reconcile my account at any time. In fact, I usually do it a couple of times a week. It sometimes takes literally seconds. It also helps to have your check register in electronic form, a lot easier to manipulate it if you are having trouble figuring out something that isn't adding up.

dvarapala 02-08-2022 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeek (Post 1939820)
I keep very good records of my account on a daily basis.

So on which day did the discrepancy first occur? :popcorns:

dvarapala 02-08-2022 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1939857)
Do you have online banking?

@zeek is an even bigger Luddite than @VegasJen, if you can believe that. I'm amazed he's even able to log onto these forums. :shrug:

zeek 02-08-2022 2:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1939863)
@zeek is an even bigger Luddite than @VegasJen, if you can believe that. I'm amazed he's even able to log onto these forums. :shrug:

If I knew what Luddite meant I'd probably be offended....:D

ZipZap 02-08-2022 2:48pm

What's a check?

mrvette 02-08-2022 2:50pm

My accounts, such as they are, have been done online with my CUnion.....some 25 years now, no issues....:dance::confused5:

Louie Detroit 02-08-2022 3:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1939898)
What's a check?

Some dude from the Czech Republic?

Steve_R 02-08-2022 3:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeek (Post 1939884)
If I knew what Luddite meant I'd probably be offended....:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1939899)
My accounts, such as they are, have been done online with my CUnion.....some 25 years now, no issues....:dance::confused5:

When Gene uses online banking and you don't, you're a Luddite. Big time.

YW

Torqaholic 02-08-2022 6:53pm

A Luddite would shun all new technology. The fact he's using a computer means he's a little L luddite (like me). It's like that libertarian thing... Not a matter of rejecting technology on principle, we're just more discriminating :D

snide 02-08-2022 9:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1939863)

* @clutchdust

Chemtrails99 02-08-2022 10:57pm

It is entirely possible for somebody to be taking and giving from your account. Decades ago I had a string of times of having thousands of dollars in my account when I should have been broke, and then zero in it when I should have had a couple of thousand. I started checking balances every day at the ATM, and printing a receipt. Then I took them to the branch manager to show the problem. I was told there was no problem. Less than a week later I again had two thousand dollars that wasn't mine show up, so I went inside and withdrew it.

I got panicked messages to come in, and nasty letters saying I over-drafted by 2K. I went back to the manager and asked how I could have possibly withdrawn 2K if I only had 300 bucks in the account. I was told it was theft and I had to pay it back immediately. I told the manager there wasn't a problem and walked out.

At the time I had a close friend who actually worked at their international headquarters in San Francisco. My guess was that somebody was transferring funds between accounts the day before interest was paid, and then replacing it into the original account after skimming off the interest paid. My friend worked in the ATM department and took my evidence to the head of security and explained it. The guy thanked her and was shocked to have 3 months worth of every day records to check through.

A couple of months later I got a message that I had been right about the transfer scheme, and a number of people had gone to jail. In addition, the manager who blew me off had been fired. I haven't stepped foot into a BOA since then.

dvarapala 02-09-2022 2:24pm

So is ****ing @zeek going to leave us all hanging? :toetap: