The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Neighbours dog? What would you do? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137345)

kingpin 04-15-2024 5:15pm

Neighbours dog? What would you do?

Since I moved into this house last year the neighbours dog a couple houses down that they let wander around keeps coming over here. My dog has attacked him twice now.
I have approached her many times last year (at least 3) and she has done nothing about it. I explained to her my dog isn't friendly towards others, especially to dogs twice his size or larger like hers.
Just now the same thing happened and Wendel ended up with a big mouthful of his fur.
This is a very small neighbourhood around 100 houses so I don't want to cause shit. So many things have gone through my mind but it's all about punishing the dog (shooting it with a paintball so the neighbour has to wash him, dog spray deterrent) and not the neighbour who is at fault.

Other than making a stink with the city or animal control any ideas?

P.S. This is all happening on my property.

GTOguy 04-15-2024 5:21pm

The neighbor is at fault, not the dog. My neighbor's dog came onto my property and killed my cat. He told me his kids left the gate open and shrugged. I looked him in the eye and told him that HE was at fault, being the head of the house, and that if his dog was out loose ever again, I would follow up my documentation and get it destroyed. That was two years ago this month and the dog has not been loose since. It's not the dog. It's the irresponsible owner.

Aerovette 04-15-2024 5:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin (Post 2246707)
Since I moved into this house last year the neighbours dog a couple houses down that they let wander around keeps coming over here. My dog has attacked him twice now.
I have approached her many times last year (at least 3) and she has done nothing about it. I explained to her my dog isn't friendly towards others, especially to dogs twice his size or larger like hers.
Just now the same thing happened and Wendel ended up with a big mouthful of his fur.
This is a very small neighbourhood around 100 houses so I don't want to cause shit. So many things have gone through my mind but it's all about punishing the dog (shooting it with a paintball so the neighbour has to wash him, dog spray deterrent) and not the neighbour who is at fault.

Just offering perspective...YOU are not the one making a stink. There would be no stink if their dog was under control. Have it hauled off, or take it to a no-kill shelter. They obviously DGAS.

Paintball might get you in trouble.

KenHorse 04-15-2024 5:21pm

Smear some foam on her dog's muzzle and call animal control

Big bob 04-15-2024 5:27pm

Give the dog a nice treat. A nice can of chilli with beans and a couple hard boiled eggs should give the desired results. :hurray:

LATB 04-15-2024 5:36pm

I don’t know the laws in your area but here we have leash laws. Simply put your dog must be under your control at all times when not in your home or secure fenced yard.

dvarapala 04-15-2024 5:39pm

Maybe your landlord will let you install a fence? :shrug:

Rodnok1 04-15-2024 5:39pm

Pour some deer urine on it send it on it's way.

If it's too stupid to stop coming back for ass beatings...

Onebadcad 04-15-2024 5:41pm

I could lend you Ringo for a few days.
Only two issues, Ringo will probably be asked to leave the plane in mid-flight, and once there he would not stop at one kill.

slewfoot 04-15-2024 6:12pm

Quote:

Don't put the cart before the horse as they say. Need to call your local Animal Control, either city, town or county, whatever is around. Usually, they will go out and talk the first couple times.

Also, how is the neighbor's dog getting into your yard? Is your yard secured from your dog getting out?

Need to take care of this before calling authorities

Anjdog2003 04-15-2024 7:36pm

In the city i live in of over 200K dogs must be on a leash or they're fined. The only time dogs don't have to be on a leash is at the dog park.

Yadkin 04-15-2024 8:13pm

Move.

ratflinger 04-15-2024 8:54pm

Call the sheriff. They will come by and they will fine the owner. Usually one or two $500 fines gets the message across.

Mike Mercury 04-15-2024 9:43pm

Quote:

that's where I would of started when it happened the second time.

Swany00 04-15-2024 10:32pm

hate threads like these because animal owners can suck....you already asked her 3 times, I would start reaching out to animal control.

Millenium Vette 04-15-2024 11:35pm

@Tikiman to the white courtesy phone. Someone needs a couple ideas dealing with a neighbor. :leaving:

higgyburners 04-16-2024 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOguy (Post 2246709)
My neighbor's dog came onto my property and killed my cat.

:rofl: man up Doug

kingpin 04-16-2024 1:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2246734)
Don't put the cart before the horse as they say. Need to call your local Animal Control, either city, town or county, whatever is around. Usually, they will go out and talk the first couple times.

Also, how is the neighbor's dog getting into your yard? Is your yard secured from your dog getting out?

My dog is trained not to leave the yard. He wears a collar anytime he goes outside. When he goes to do his business I walk outside with him and leave him for a couple minutes to do his stuff. He's never unsupervised. Even if I do come inside cause it's too cold or raining I watch him outside the window off the deck.

This house has no fencing. I have no idea how her dog keeps getting out. She's old which is another reason I'm not calling anyone.

kingpin 04-16-2024 1:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2246734)

She's a nice old lady, very quiet spoken and I have no problems with her except for the dog business. Her age is why I have not called anyone.

Trapper Sean 04-16-2024 4:00am

I could never live there.