The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MicroSoft Conspiracy? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126925)

ratflinger 09-24-2021 10:05pm

MicroSoft Conspiracy?

Anyone else having their PC to stupid things lately? Some minor security update the other night but then after a day or 2 started getting video tearing, like when a ram chip going flaky, but only in full screen mode. Started looking around on the web and I was directed to change the v-sync from application control to video driver control and to disable the XBox task bar. Well one of the 2 did it. Then I'd come back in and my PC acted like it was coming out of sleep, sure enough MS set the sleep to 2 hours, I never sleep my PCs, they are always on. Then the video tearing came back and I looked at the display drivers and somehow refresh was set to 59p instead of 60p.

Gee, my computer is acting up right before Win11 comes out, where my CPU is too old for the upgrade, maybe I should go ahead and buy a new one. Hmm....

Yeah, I think not

Torqaholic 09-25-2021 1:04am

My system works fine. Been blocking updates since it was installed though. Saw a couple of back to back updates blocked recently in notifications. Only had me wondering what possible updates they could be needing on a system as old as this. Guess now I know :rofl:

DJ_Critterus 09-25-2021 7:25am

Just did full updates and I'm on Win10 ver 20H2.

Wonder why it didn't update to 21H1?

ratflinger 09-25-2021 8:32am

21H1 is what's acting up here

Thunder22 09-25-2021 9:21am

21h1 on all of my machines, everything is fine.

Thunder22 09-25-2021 9:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 1914314)
My system works fine. Been blocking updates since it was installed though. Saw a couple of back to back updates blocked recently in notifications. Only had me wondering what possible updates they could be needing on a system as old as this. Guess now I know :rofl:

it's not always about the hw it's running on, it's about the SW. Why are you blocking updates? not worried about security or compatibility issues?

DJ_Critterus 09-25-2021 9:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1914338)
it's not always about the hw it's running on, it's about the SW. Why are you blocking updates? not worried about security or compatibility issues?

I never auto install the updates, but set it so that I have to authorize them. Most of the optional updates are what causes problems for me, so I tend to skip them.

SnikPlosskin 09-25-2021 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1914340)
I never auto install the updates, but set it so that I have to authorize them. Most of the optional updates are what causes problems for me, so I tend to skip them.

This. Since the early days we have remained at least one version behind on all computers including Macintosh and ALWAYS control updates.

This might be because we have a production environment and short on staffing so a problem that takes us five hours (if we are lucky) to troubleshoot is a problem.

Even restoring a disk from an image takes a machine out for hours.

I actually maintain an exact clone of my machine - an identical machine with the same OS and set up. If my machine, disk or system takes a shit, I’m back up and running in about ten minutes.

DJ_Critterus 09-25-2021 3:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1914356)
This. Since the early days we have remained at least one version behind on all computers including Macintosh and ALWAYS control updates.

This might be because we have a production environment and short on staffing so a problem that takes us five hours (if we are lucky) to troubleshoot is a problem.

Even restoring a disk from an image takes a machine out for hours.

I actually maintain an exact clone of my machine - an identical machine with the same OS and set up. If my machine, disk or system takes a shit, I’m back up and running in about ten minutes.

Just like when crApple puts out an updated OS or when Windows does a major update at work we always wait until at least the 3rd patch is put out before we even think about looking at the update.

Rodnok1 09-25-2021 3:19pm

We were never allowed to install any automatic updates on most of our systems until they were throughly vetted.

dvarapala 09-25-2021 3:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1914356)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1914358)
Just like when crApple puts out an updated OS or when Windows does a major update at work we always wait until at least the 3rd patch is put out before we even think about looking at the update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1914361)
We were never allowed to install any automatic updates on most of our systems until they were throughly vetted.

That policy works great until you get hit with a Zero Day exploit that was patched in the most recent update which you didn't apply. ;)

SnikPlosskin 09-25-2021 5:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1914358)

This.

SnikPlosskin 09-25-2021 5:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1914365)
That policy works great until you get hit with a Zero Day exploit that was patched in the most recent update which you didn't apply. ;)

Macintosh. Low odds overall. Even lower in your scenario.

Torqaholic 09-25-2021 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1914338)

Updates reinstall applications I have chosen to uninstall. There is no security or compatibility issue with applications that don't exist. My concern is with being repeatedly forced to uninstall those things.

snide 09-26-2021 7:25am

People still use Windows? :confused:

DJ_Critterus 09-26-2021 8:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1914365)

I also don't use apple.....

MS, I do update windows Defender regularly.

DJ_Critterus 09-26-2021 8:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 1914408)
Updates reinstall applications I have chosen to uninstall. There is no security or compatibility issue with applications that don't exist. My concern is with being repeatedly forced to uninstall those things.

You haven't fully uninstalled them. Sometimes you'll need to find the app in sevices.msc, stop the service, then uninstall. It's rare, but does happen.

dvarapala 09-26-2021 9:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 1914408)
Updates reinstall applications I have chosen to uninstall. There is no security or compatibility issue with applications that don't exist.

Right, because security vulnerabilities only occur in applications, never in device drivers or the operating system itself. :yesnod:

Loco Vette 09-26-2021 9:55am

I have been trying to install Pinnacle 23 for an hour and every time it gets 25% downloaded I get the message that I have lost Internet connectivity. Router tests out fine and no other connection issues. Thoughts?

Torqaholic 09-26-2021 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1914440)
Right, because security vulnerabilities only occur in applications, never in device drivers or the operating system itself. :yesnod:

I didn't say that.