The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I need some plumbing help (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124459)

Olustee bus 12-27-2020 4:16pm

I need some plumbing help

I want to put a toilet in a storage building I have and I have several questions.

first, can I vent it on the outside as other wise I would have to do it inside and up high. If I did that, how would you suggest I do it.

The septic tank pipe that I will connect to is 12 feet from the outlet outlet from the storage room. I think I need to have a drop of three inches to that pipe. there is no pvc fitting that will give me a correct angle. Can I use a rubber coupling.

I am sure I will have much more questions but this will get me started.

04 commemorative 12-27-2020 4:21pm

IB4S

DAB 12-27-2020 4:22pm

if only there were professionals that dealt with such things. you could look them up in the phone book, they would come out and talk to you, understand what you want, and then tell you if you could do it, and would offer to talk care of all the messy details and do it for you for a modest fee...... if only.... maybe we'd call them plumbers.

:DAB:

Rodnok1 12-27-2020 4:48pm

Vent as high as can for smell mainly but it only needs to be as high as the highest fixture actually. Away from windows of course. Personally I'd run it inside and out high on building where convenient.
Nothing wrong with rubber bushing if can't find the correct pvc fitting as its not a pressure system. The overall horizontal run is what needs the correct pitch, do yourself a favor and put cleanouts in.

04 commemorative 12-27-2020 5:40pm

and get permits from town

Egnalf 12-27-2020 6:46pm

if it helps, you could build a small platform and elevate the toilet. then use a double 90 degree arrangement to be able to roll the second fitting to your desired angle. you can use rubber boots or whatever they are. as far as venting, i would want it out as high as i could.

Old Ben 12-27-2020 6:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1837918)
if it helps, you could build a small platform and elevate the toilet. then use a double 90 degree arrangement to be able to roll the second fitting to your desired angle. you can use rubber boots or whatever they are. as far as venting, i would want it out as high as i could.

That would work but I would go with 45 degree bends. Easier flow.:yesnod:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 12-27-2020 7:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1837901)
do yourself a favor and put cleanouts in.

:iagree:

Cleanouts rarely get a second thought, but when you need one, you really need one!!!:seasix:

JRD77VET 12-27-2020 7:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1837918)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Ben (Post 1837919)
That would work but I would go with 45 degree bends. Easier flow.:yesnod:

:iagree: Two 45's will allow you to set the angle you need for proper movement. ( too shallow a drop and nothing moves, too steep and it separates too much and creates problems)

snide 12-27-2020 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1837897)
IB4S

Damnit. :banghead:

Egnalf 12-27-2020 9:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1837929)
:iagree: Two 45's will allow you to set the angle you need for proper movement. ( too shallow a drop and nothing moves, too steep and it separates too much and creates problems)

ok i will bite. my toilets at my house are on the second floor. they flow right into a vertical pipe. what problems are created by the steep angle

Cool 50th AE 12-27-2020 9:07pm

At work the bathroom fan vents directly into the ceiling of the restaurant next door.

markids77 12-27-2020 9:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1837952)
ok i will bite. my toilets at my house are on the second floor. they flow right into a vertical pipe. what problems are created by the steep angle

Straight down is OK. If the slope gets too severe the liquids will run faster than the solids tend to possibly causing havoc.

SnikPlosskin 12-27-2020 11:08pm

Use the bushes.

Olustee bus 12-28-2020 4:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1837898)
if only there were professionals that dealt with such things. you could look them up in the phone book, they would come out and talk to you, understand what you want, and then tell you if you could do it, and would offer to talk care of all the messy details and do it for you for a modest fee...... if only.... maybe we'd call them plumbers.

:DAB:

If only there were professionals that dealt with some things such as wood carving. You could look them up in the local bars. They would come over and talk to ya. We could call them . . . . . . .:kick::)

Olustee bus 12-28-2020 4:28am

As I was typing this it occurred to me to completely change the set up of the septic tank situation which will eliminate all 90 degree angles and have 45 degree angles. There are two different sources, one for a motor home and the other, this commode.

Thanks for the suggestions!