The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   New to forum (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49652)

Jolene65 04-02-2013 10:17am

New to forum

I just purchased a 65 vette convertible with a small block 327. This auto sat in a showroom for a few months with half a tank of gas. Took it out for a test drive and am getting constant backfire and hesitation through the carb as well as backfire out the pipes. Trying to burn out the rest of the fuel in the tank to replenish with fresh fuel. These engines were designed for leaded fuel and my question is...what octane is everyone running in their engines? So far the consensus has been 93 octane. True?

Norm 04-02-2013 10:29am

Welcome. :seasix: Maybe some gas additive to eliminate the moisture, fresh highest octane gas you can find, new in line fuel filter, good tune-up, timing could be off as well. Good luck, post up some pics.

Jolene65 04-02-2013 11:14am

Thanks Norm. I'm planning to have it serviced by someone who has the same year vette. He actually recommended checking the points and I will recommend the new in line filter and good tune up. I want to burn through that half tank of gas before I take it over and fill with fresh hi octane. Again, thanks for the response!

pouti 01-19-2015 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolene65 (Post 920587)
I just purchased a 65 vette convertible with a small block 327. This auto sat in a showroom for a few months with half a tank of gas. Took it out for a test drive and am getting constant backfire and hesitation through the carb as well as backfire out the pipes. Trying to burn out the rest of the fuel in the tank to replenish with fresh fuel. These engines were designed for leaded fuel and my question is...what octane is everyone running in their engines? So far the consensus has been 93 octane. True?

auto parts stores sell a lead additive and i use it every tank full and seems to work well

Aerovette 01-19-2015 8:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolene65 (Post 920625)
Thanks Norm. I'm planning to have it serviced by someone who has the same year vette. He actually recommended checking the points and I will recommend the new in line filter and good tune up. I want to burn through that half tank of gas before I take it over and fill with fresh hi octane. Again, thanks for the response!

No pun intended, but if it has bad gas you will smell it. It has a very distinctive odor.

OldSarge 01-20-2015 12:05pm

Why not suck the old gas out of the tank ????

Norm 01-20-2015 6:52pm

I guess you guys saw the date on the OP, not quite 2 years ago. :D

OldSarge 01-21-2015 3:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1303026)
I guess you guys saw the date on the OP, not quite 2 years ago. :D

Actually no, old guys don't always pay attention to details.