The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I'm an unlucky guy-- no electricity (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119469)

JRD77VET 05-29-2019 7:16pm

I'm an unlucky guy-- no electricity

Today on the way home, I was listening to the radio and there were tornado warnings very close to my house. About 3 miles away, downed trees and power lines.

A little closer to home, only a little debris on the road.

About 4:30 another storm came thru and the electricity went out. Still no electric and PPL doesn't have a projected time for restoring power.

Bad enough but could be much worse. At least we didn't get the softball sized hail that came down yesterday about 35 miles away.

Jeff
Posting on my tablet

MrPeabody 05-29-2019 7:20pm

Stay safe. Hope everything goes well.

JRD77VET 05-29-2019 7:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1671863)
Stay safe. Hope everything goes well.

I texted my friend Rusty (7 miles away ) and although his wife and he are fine, a tree fell on his house. Luckily it's a small tree.

VITE1 05-29-2019 7:56pm

When do you get a generator?

Black94lt1 05-29-2019 7:58pm

My parents were about a mile away from one of the tornadoes that hit Ohio Monday night, second time in a few years they’ve missed by about a mile

JRD77VET 05-29-2019 8:27pm

"Sky twister" went over the in laws farm ( 15 miles away from my house) and took the roof off a chicken coop. Bunch of branches down and no electricity there either. It may be days until they get electric back as only a few homes in the area.

Rodnok1 05-29-2019 8:47pm

Stay safe man, a week without power last year for me. Gets old after a day or so.

LilRedCorvette 05-29-2019 11:32pm

That just sucks out loud...hope you get power back sooner rather than later. :yesnod: I'd be hating life without a/c, has been hot/humid here :ack: that type of weather front prob helped spawn those nasty tornadoes/wind/t-storms :( hope all affected stay safe.

Black94lt1 05-30-2019 4:18am

Hopefully you get power back soon

69camfrk 05-30-2019 4:47am

Glad you are ok man. There are plenty of us here that get doses of that weird weather. Good thing you had a decoy trailer park to guide the tornado.:D

86RAG 05-30-2019 5:31am

I hate when the power goes out. Especially if you are on a well! Hope you get it back soon. Do you have a generator? It's a necessity up here! :yesnod:

Mike Mercury 05-30-2019 7:25am

I no longer have this setup... but it worked well:

http://tim-yvonne.com/generator/

Cybercowboy 05-30-2019 7:56am

Took about 24 hours to get electricity after the Joplin tornado missed us by a couple miles. I was actually quite impressed.

Norm 05-30-2019 8:57am

Nasty stuff out there for sure. Most important, glad no injuries.

VITE1 05-30-2019 9:23am

Any update?

Mike Mercury 05-30-2019 9:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1671927)
Took about 24 hours to get electricity after the Joplin tornado missed us by a couple miles. I was actually quite impressed.

As you know...electricity usage is metered (unlike cable tv). When your electricity is out... the meter doesn't spin. This is why your electric company goes into panic mode during an outage... bringing in extra crews and paying overtime to get the meters a spinnin A$AP.

The dolts in Connecticut allowed a bill to pass where the electric company still charges you during an outage... at the average rate you had been using in the past.... up to the first 24 hours of an outage.

Yep; if the outage lasts 48 hours, they only lose 24 hours of income because they are allowed to still bill you for 24hrs of electricity usage... even though you had no electricity during those first 24 hours.

Now, when there's a power outage in Connecticut, the electric company is in no hurry to get it fixed; no additional crews called in, no overtime paid; just as long as the meters start spinning within 23hrs & 59 minutes... they still get the full $$$ they would have if there had been no outage. They aren't out one-penny of usage income.

all the incentive - to provide fast/prompt service during an outage... has been flushed-down-toilet. Like I said, expect power outages there to now last 23hrs & 59 minutes minimum.

:banghead:

snide 05-30-2019 9:28am

Has anyone started a GoFundMe page for Jeff, so he can buy a generator? :bigears:

:leaving:

JRD77VET 05-30-2019 6:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1671938)
Has anyone started a GoFundMe page for Jeff, so he can buy a generac full house generator? :bigears:

:leaving:

Thanks but it's just a minor inconvenience. I'll save the "good intentions" in case there is an actual emergency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1671936)
Any update?

We got up at 4:30 am this morning and when I checked our electric company website, it said we should have power back by 7 pm tonight.

Using a water bottle, I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I was getting ready to get dressed when the LED night light came on :hurray:

Power came on at 5:02 am. We grabbed showers and went to work.

Some far so good but it's raining very heavy again now.

LilRedCorvette 05-30-2019 9:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1672016)
We got up at 4:30 am this morning and when I checked our electric company website, it said we should have power back by 7 pm tonight.

Using a water bottle, I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I was getting ready to get dressed when the LED night light came on :hurray:

Power came on at 5:02 am. We grabbed showers and went to work.

Some far so good but it's raining very heavy again now.

Glad the juice is back on! :seasix:

There certainly has been some wacky weather all over the country lately...we had 2 t-storms blow through here today, along with a tornado warning from 7:15-7:45 PM. :willy:

JRD77VET 05-31-2019 6:51pm

Update

The tornado that was 2 miles from my house was an EF0. Low end of the scale but if it's on top of you, it would be a big deal.

My friend in Sumneytown PA got his electric back on late last night. He and the family were staying at the wife's parents. He'll be happy to be home again.

My friend Rusty ( up the road two miles in Woxall, PA ) still doesn't have power and it may be Saturday or Sunday until power is restored there. They had a confirmed tornado there too but not sure was class.

When talking to the bookkeeper at work, she and her husband live right up the road from Rusty. She said it looks like a war zone. LOTS of trees down all over. ( my wife drove past and the road is closed due to trees and wires down )