The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bargain Triumph TR-6 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440)

69camfrk 10-08-2019 3:28pm

Bargain Triumph TR-6

1 Attachment(s)
If I had the room, I think I would actually buy this car. Obviously the photos aren't that good, but from what I can see, it looks pretty good. Plus, I'm a sucker for British racing green cars.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/c...984079896.html
Attachment 32565

99 pewtercoupe 10-08-2019 3:55pm

How hard is it to start the car (or push it) out of the garage in order to get some decent pictures? Sometimes I wonder if people are really trying

BTW ... a TR6 would be a great toy. Loads of fun :seasix:

mrvette 10-08-2019 4:01pm

eh, Miata is better......nuff said.....

:hurray:

snide 10-08-2019 4:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1685241)
eh, Miata is better......nuff said.....

:hurray:

An LS in a TR6 would be a very fun ride. :yesnod:

mrvette 10-08-2019 6:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1685242)
An LS in a TR6 would be a very fun ride. :yesnod:

Yes, but depending on the rest, how it turns out......wheels/tires/suspension/steering/brakes, trans, posi rear, seating (critical for ME)

markids77 10-08-2019 7:12pm

Before you call it a deal check out the pricing on seat covers, carpet and a top. It still wears the OE top and I guarantee it is in less than stellar condition. Check also for rust in the battery box, inner and outer rocker panels and at the joints of each body panel where they meet the tub. Ditto the leading and trailing edges of the hood and boot lid. Doors rust where the skin meets the frame, and the floors probably need some work as well. If the air cleaner is dismounted there is almost always issue with carburetion but at least the floats don't seem to be gummy enough to puke fuel out the throats. I also bet the exhaust system is on its last legs and the brake calipers are sticky as well.The clutch hydraulics will not last long back on the road either.

Note also that the wiper arms are AWOL for some reason???

MrPeabody 10-08-2019 7:30pm

Lots of potential for that car to be a money pit. I would start with asking for a lot of better pictures.

markids77 10-08-2019 7:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1685251)
Lots of potential for that car to be a money pit. I would start with asking for a lot of better pictures.

They're all money pits. Comes with ownership of 50 year old iron, and I would rather spend 6K on a sorta solid TR than a Miata... and I own a Miata. There's nothing like driving an "original" and the Miata is an excellent copy but a copy none the less.

69camfrk 10-08-2019 7:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1685252)
They're all money pits. Comes with ownership of 50 year old iron, and I would rather spend 6K on a sorta solid TR than a Miata... and I own a Miata. There's nothing like driving an "original" and the Miata is an excellent copy but a copy none the less.

I love TR-6's. Hopefully this is a southern car it's whole life and is not rotted out. Pics don't tell too much, but if it is solid, probably well worth the 6k. My mom had a GT6+ way back when. It was a ball to drive.

SubZero 10-08-2019 7:59pm

would make a neat track toy
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c2/5b...b6a8608cea.jpg

:lilred::leaving:

markids77 10-08-2019 8:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1685254)
I love TR-6's. Hopefully this is a southern car it's whole life and is not rotted out. Pics don't tell too much, but if it is solid, probably well worth the 6k. My mom had a GT6+ way back when. It was a ball to drive.

I've owned 5 Tr6s and even those I purchased here were rusty somewhere. The GT6 is a real sleeper... people think Spitfire and get that 6 cylinder showing the taillights. The TR5/TR250 is even sneakier... TR6 engine in a TR4 IRS body.
Show some real in the sun pics if you get to see it live please!

Lakeside49 10-08-2019 11:00pm

Miata. Piata.
Blasphemy, being used in the same sentence as “TR-6”.
I would trust driving a Miata 1000 miles and the TR-6 maybe 100 miles on the right day. I’ve been in the tiny design studio in Irvine, CA (when Ford owned the proud little marque) where it was birthed on paper. But, if you get 1 thumbs up in those 1000 clicks in a beautifully “synthesized”, reliable Miata you’ll probably get closer to 30 in your TR-6. Each Summer day that I see a wonderfully smiling, top-down Miata owner driving past me in my T-topped Vette I smile back but, I envy them not at all. Not even a little. But, it is different on the rare occasion that a TR-6 passes by as I have a fleeting tinge of envy because of its storied racing history and gorgeous lines from almost every angle. Miata = comfort, reliability ...and sterility. TR-6 = originality and timeless class.
Someday the Japs will formulate and execute an original something. Maybe.

mrvette 10-09-2019 1:18am

I pad a grand for my wife's '91 Miata, WE put a top on it, and I had to replace the crank pulley/balancer bolt, drilled out/ran a tap into the crank while in the car.......this was about 15 years ago......with we had kept it, sold for 1700 bux and then bought a pickup....oh well......seen Miatas of that vintage go for 5-6 grand in local adds recently.....:leaving:

Wathen1955 10-09-2019 10:03pm

In my wild 20's, my room mate had a Triumph Splitfire GT6:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...t6.red.arp.jpg

Car always required tweaking. Had electrical grounding issues, but when it was working, it was fast and handled very well.

JRD77VET 10-10-2019 7:24pm

My neighbor ( best friend's Dad ) had a GT6 and let me drive it a couple times.

Since I was just 17, I was being "nice" driving it. He told me in no uncertain terms that if I didn't wind it out some, he wasn't going to let me drive it anymore. LOL

Roy was a cool guy :cool1:

Grey Ghost 10-10-2019 8:03pm

I've always loved them. Isn't that an old ad? May have already sold.

SubZero 10-10-2019 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1685345)
if I get wind it out some,

mrvette, is that you? :shots: