The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   First Z06 video (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105777)

Datawiz 02-05-2017 11:46pm

First Z06 video

only took 2 laps today, both 100%. First one was uber scary. Unlimited power EVERYWHERE. Definitely going to have to learn to drive and respect the throttle. This lap (2nd one) I dialed back the drama and went 2 seconds faster.

Ran data against a 2016 Porsche Turbo S and beat him by 1.2 seconds. As expected, he got me on the launch, but I very quickly reeled him in and then passed him like he wasn't moving.

Ran 3 cameras. More video to follow.

Datawiz 02-06-2017 9:02am

snide 02-06-2017 9:16am

Car sounds wicked!

:thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

Datawiz 02-06-2017 8:35pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1538605)
Car sounds wicked!

:thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

Video of data logger. 2016 911 Turbo S vs. my car. Very interesting.

Rad's car is identical to the one pictured. For the un-indoctrinated, the Turbo S is AWD and does 0-60 in close to 2.5 seconds. Porsche claims 2.8. One of the fastest production cars on the planet.

Z06David 02-07-2017 11:26am

Nice!!! :cert:

Kerrmudgeon 02-07-2017 4:03pm

Seems like you were slow out of the hole, maybe a second? Engine sounds like you're just tickling it....not really using it's potential. I think you need a more open course like when you ran on the beach roads and stuffed it into the weeds. More wide open curves and speed. Very impressive Craig....:clap:
Did you send that to G-wiz? :bigears:

69camfrk 02-07-2017 4:58pm

That thing sounds like a beast!!!:seasix:

tjfontaine 02-07-2017 5:27pm

Craig - what a monster. How do you even know where to go with just those cones that always escaped me for you autocross guys ... I have done track sessions but with a road course you obviously know where to drive - Autocrossing it must be easy to get mixed up? Also do you just leave it in 2nd ? all the time? Any clutching at all or shifting?

Datawiz 02-07-2017 5:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1538990)
Seems like you were slow out of the hole, maybe a second? Engine sounds like you're just tickling it....not really using it's potential. I think you need a more open course like when you ran on the beach roads and stuffed it into the weeds. More wide open curves and speed. Very impressive Craig....:clap:
Did you send that to G-wiz? :bigears:

1st gear out of the hole is now USELESS. I'm pretty sure I'm going to simply start in 2nd from now on. When I can do a FULL BURNOUT at 50 mph in 2nd gear, grip is a novel concept. Imagine what it's like from a launch in 1st. :rofl:

BUT, even though I gave up SO MUCH to Rad in the launch, you see how effing quickly I caught him? :eek:

As far as "tickling it", YES, you are exactly correct. I only took 2 laps, and on the first lap, I drove it like it was the old car using the throttle MUCH more aggressively, thus causing tail-out conditions everywhere. I told myself to become smooth and use less throttle on the 2nd lap and I went a full 2 seconds faster. I cannot wait to feel this thing at Sebring. In speaking with Rad (road course expert) and telling him I was hitting 150 on the backstretch when the engine was stock, he's surmising that I'll now be between 162-165. Better make sure the brakes are up to the task. :willy:

Yes I sent the links to G :D

Datawiz 02-07-2017 5:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco (Post 1538994)
God that sounds good, but I imagine a bit more muffler/resonator would make it easier to hear the tires?

I love that my C5 is loud as hell, but I certainly wouldn't want to try to track it with it being so loud I can't hear the tires or anything else...

Tires are Hoosier A7's....they don't chatter like street tires, so you have to use your ass to detect how happy the car is. Always been like that.

Datawiz 02-07-2017 5:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1539009)
Craig - what a monster. How do you even know where to go with just those cones that always escaped me for you autocross guys ... I have done track sessions but with a road course you obviously know where to drive - Autocrossing it must be easy to get mixed up? Also do you just leave it in 2nd ? all the time? Any clutching at all or shifting?

Knowing where to go is simply part of the sport and becomes second nature when you keep your eyes up. I usually process 3-5 elements in advance at all times.

MOST autocross courses can be done in 2nd gear, I even won an entire state championship in 1st gear in Miami...I just had the car that could run that fast in 1st. I've done autocrosses in mid-Florida where I've needed 3rd, and at the Bay Bottom Crawl, I need 4th, especially now.

Now that I may even do my launches in 2nd gear, it'll almost always be zero shifting for me now. :hurray:

snide 02-07-2017 5:47pm

I wonder if L98Terror can beat you in your own car. :D

Datawiz 02-07-2017 5:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1539014)
I wonder if L98Terror can beat you in your own car. :D

I would bet $1,000 no. ;) I remember you asking that same question years ago. :lol:

Rad has an autocross National Championship and was still 2 seconds slower than me in my car.

In fact, the learning curve is now very high on my car that it makes it nearly impossible for someone to simply jump in for 1 lap and ever beat me.