The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Anyone try steak like this?? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67405)

NeedSpeed 06-10-2014 10:37pm

Anyone try steak like this??

Think I'm gonna try :dance:

Sea Six 06-13-2014 2:24am

I'm definitely going to try this.

Rob 06-13-2014 4:22am

Yup. I use the real lump charcoal when I do it.

Sea Six 06-15-2014 5:01am

I went to Wawmart looking for skirt steak. They said the closest thing they had was going to be flank steak, which is leaner than skirt steak.

I picked up a couple of ribeyes. I'll keep on the lookout for some skirt steak though.

vetter 06-21-2014 9:39am

i'll try it soon... ;)

Sea Six 06-23-2014 6:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1192052)
I went to Wawmart looking for skirt steak. They said the closest thing they had was going to be flank steak, which is leaner than skirt steak.

I picked up a couple of ribeyes. I'll keep on the lookout for some skirt steak though.

Dang.

I can't find skirt steak anywhere I've looked for the past few weeks. :dunno:

LisaJohn 06-23-2014 10:04pm

Publix?

Sea Six 06-24-2014 3:46am

Actually, I usually buy meat at Publix. That's the one place I haven't checked.

Kerrmudgeon 06-24-2014 6:27pm

Make sure you get them peeled when you buy them, because it's a bit of a pain to remove the tough silver skin. :thumbs:

Grey Ghost 06-26-2014 2:53pm

Many say you need to use real wood charcoal. Pieces of green hickory being the best. Then add some of whatever smoke 'flavor' you like - apple wood, mesquite, etc...

One thing I have discovered is to NOT cook a fresh steak. I let it age a few days in the refrigerator. There are debates on the internet about it. The famous steak houses age their meet for 30 days or so in a very controlled and monitored environment. I CAN tell a difference in the tenderness of mine by aging it a few days.

Sea Six 07-04-2014 11:10am

Finally found some skirt steak! :hurray:

Publix had it today.

Getting ready for it now.

73sbVert 07-04-2014 1:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1204761)
Finally found some skirt steak! :hurray:

Publix had it today.

Getting ready for it now.

:waiting:

Sea Six 07-05-2014 10:45am

The flavor was incredible. More flavor I'd say than any beef cut I've tried.

It was very chewy. Very tough. One piece I just had to spit out.

My Mom, Dad and a cousin tried it. My Dad tried to bite the first piece I gave him and was unable to. He threw it away. My Mom ate a few pieces and my cousin ate one.

Definitely not a crowd pleaser, that's for sure.

Interesting to try, but I doubt I'll ever do it again. It's just too much of a jaw workout to try to eat it.

Grey Ghost 07-05-2014 9:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1205212)
The flavor was incredible. More flavor I'd say than any beef cut I've tried.

It was very chewy. Very tough. One piece I just had to spit out.

My Mom, Dad and a cousin tried it. My Dad tried to bite the first piece I gave him and was unable to. He threw it away. My Mom ate a few pieces and my cousin ate one.

Definitely not a crowd pleaser, that's for sure.

Interesting to try, but I doubt I'll ever do it again. It's just too much of a jaw workout to try to eat it.

Did you slice it against the grain? I think you have to.

Sea Six 07-06-2014 12:42am

Yes, I did slice against the grain. Divided it into thirds, and cut against the grain at an angle just the way he did it in the video.

Someone else should try it and post results.

MikeB 07-06-2014 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1205559)
Yes, I did slice against the grain. Divided it into thirds, and cut against the grain at an angle just the way he did it in the video.

Someone else should try it and post results.

I have, but not cooked directly on the coals.

The thing with skirt steak is, it's tough.

You need to marinate it with citric acid (I use 1 lime/lb) for at least an hour at room temp,
to break down the toughness.
Similar to Alston's method, just not right on the coals; Grilled quickly(high heat), and sliced on the bias (as suggested), it gets quite tender this way.
I also put some cumin in with the lime, and make fajitas out of it. (grilled onions and red/green/yellow peppers)

Sea Six 07-06-2014 1:20pm

The idea of using it as fajita meat did occur to me too. It has a little bit more flavor than flank steak, which I believe is typically used for fajitas.

Shaving it very thinly and serving it on a salad would be a good way to eat it too.

Mike, how long did you cook it on each side?

MikeB 07-06-2014 3:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1205765)
Mike, how long did you cook it on each side?

About 3 to 4 minutes each side.
Meat was about 3/8" thick.

Sea Six 07-06-2014 5:36pm

This was about 3/8" thick too.

My fire was pretty gYAT-danged hot. It ranked a 1-Mississippi on the Mississippi scale of grill coal temperature. The vent was wide open. I could hardly use the tongs to flip it and take it out.

It came out pretty rare, and I let it go 45 seconds on each side. I'm thinking a good 2 minutes (or maybe more) would have been better. Maybe Alton Brown's coals ranked a half-Mississippi level of hotness.

MikeB 07-06-2014 5:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1205884)
This was about 3/8" thick too.

My fire was pretty gYAT-danged hot. It ranked a 1-Mississippi on the Mississippi scale of grill coal temperature. The vent was wide open. I could hardly use the tongs to flip it and take it out.

It came out pretty rare, and I let it go 45 seconds on each side. I'm thinking a good 2 minutes (or maybe more) would have been better. Maybe Alton Brown's coals ranked a half-Mississippi level of hotness.

I recall him saying 1700 degrees (got to be Farenheit).
But, who knows. That video didn't show red-hot coals......

I'd guess my grill was at 6 to 700 degrees.