The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Good Advice (Advise) Thread: Post Up Good Advice You've Gotten (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136676)

Bill 03-04-2024 9:21am

The Good Advice (Advise) Thread: Post Up Good Advice You've Gotten

Best advice I ever got was from my Dad, who said, "Son, it's just easier to go through life if you try and get along with people."

Another good one: It doesn't cost you anything extra to be nice.

And one that occurred to me early in my work life: Go to work, do your job, get paid, then go home. You don't get paid any extra to create drama, complain, have conflicts, etc.

Finally, an old truism: Don't shit where you eat.

DJ_Critterus 03-04-2024 9:23am

Divorces are expensive because they are worth it.

slewfoot 03-04-2024 9:25am

"It's easy to forget what's important, so don't."

"Wait until you have kids of your own!"

"Just because you're qualified, doesn't mean you're any good at it."

DJ_Critterus 03-04-2024 9:26am

Early to Rise,
Early to Bed.
Makes you healthy,
And socially dead.

:yesnod:

vettemed 03-04-2024 9:32am

Best advice I received that I didn't follow, sadly: Don't go to vet school.

Said to me by vet I worked with when I was in high school.

04 commemorative 03-04-2024 9:50am

Treat people like you want to be treated,unless they **** with you ,then treat then as they are treating you.

CurtP 03-04-2024 9:51am

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Raazor 03-04-2024 9:52am

Rule #3: don't be a ***** :yesnod:

OnPoint 03-04-2024 9:55am

Never become a democrat.

Don Rickles 03-04-2024 9:57am

Invest your Bar Mitzvah money!

DJ_Critterus 03-04-2024 9:57am

Never be the wingman :nono:

Bruze 03-04-2024 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2226974)
Best advice I ever got was from my Dad, who said, "Son, it's just easier to go through life if you try and get along with people."

Another good one: It doesn't cost you anything extra to be nice.

And one that occurred to me early in my work life: Go to work, do your job, get paid, then go home. You don't get paid any extra to create drama, complain, have conflicts, etc.

Finally, an old truism: Don't shit where you eat.

My dad never really told me that, but he was like that by nature, being a devout "turn the other cheek" Christian and never speaking ill of anyone. I learned it by just being his son, and by my personal life experiences.

I've found as I've gotten older that getting into arguments and "going to the mat" (which I did a lot when younger) to prove your point is a waste of time -- whether IRL or online. There is nothing to gain except hard feelings.

Being an old **** now, I avoid confrontations like the plague. It's easier to just suck it up, even if you're right, and move on. I have a liberal couple I'm friends with who bring up politics on occasion (not so much lately) and I'll often make one rebuttal then change the subject. Sometimes I won't respond at all.

Back in 2018 we got into it really bad and didn't talk to each other for months. She made the first move to get back together, and we've been okay since. He's a dumb **** and occasionally brings up mass shootings and guns but I ignore him. There is nothing to be gained by arguing with dumb people who are in a cult.

"Too soon old, too late smart." - some Chink proverb

Raazor 03-04-2024 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2227003)
My dad never really told me that, but he was like that by nature, being a devout "turn the other cheek" Christian and never speaking ill of anyone. I learned it by just being his son, and by my personal life experiences.

I've found as I've gotten older that getting into arguments and "going to the mat" (which I did a lot when younger) to prove your point is a waste of time -- whether IRL or online. There is nothing to gain except hard feelings.

Being an old **** now, I avoid confrontations like the plague. It's easier to just suck it up, even if you're right, and move on. I have a liberal couple I'm friends with who bring up politics on occasion (not so much lately) and I'll often make one rebuttal then change the subject. Sometimes I won't respond at all.

Back in 2018 we got into it really bad and didn't talk to each other for months. She made the first move to get back together, and we've been okay since. He's a dumb **** and occasionally brings up mass shootings and guns but I ignore him. There is nothing to be gained by arguing with dumb people who are in a cult.

"Too soon old, too late smart." - some Chink proverb

cliffs? :waiting:

Bruze 03-04-2024 10:04am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 2227004)
cliffs? :waiting:

Attachment 97880

Bruze 03-04-2024 10:07am

1 Attachment(s)
Cliff of cliffs:

Attachment 97879

Mick 03-04-2024 10:28am

"Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."

I generally follow that advice, but I also don't care if the door hits someone else in the ass.

KenHorse 03-04-2024 10:34am

It is always better to give than receive
Especially if it's a punch in the mouth

6spdC6 03-04-2024 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2227027)
It is always better to give than receive
Especially if it's a punch in the mouth

Many years back I heard this oldie often, Do not get mad get even!

My buddy said the above is for children, his version was ''Do not get mad get way ahead''!

04 commemorative 03-04-2024 10:43am

Shave that thang :seasix:

Blademaker 03-04-2024 10:49am

Upon my retirement, years ago.

"Buy Real Estate. They're not making any more of it."
LATB

Long story short, Paid 130k cash for 2 rental properties during the bust.
100k worth of renovations over the years.
Management company handles everything.
Current value, 700k.

Never date a girl whose daddy calls her "Princess", because they usually think that they are one.

If ever asked to chose between the blue or red pill, take both.
See what happens....:seasix: