The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Concrete contractors (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116363)

09CTSV 06-12-2018 4:41pm

Concrete contractors

We must have a severe shortage of contractors in this area. I called for an estimate because our current contractor is playing hard to get. Of the four companies I called, all said they could quote but it would be a minimum of 6-8 weeks before they could schedule the job. I'm about ready to say screw it and have asphalt put back down, I can have that done by Friday.
Oh did I mention we have been waiting for 5 weeks already for this contractor who has not returned any calls. He was supposed to start the work last week but decided to take a family vacation. He was going to call us on Saturday, no call, suppose to start on Monday, no show. Called him today no return call yet. Glad we didn't put a deposit down, time to find another contractor and just wait for this one to show up and then tell him we changed out mind.
So tired of contractors in this area, we waited almost 6 weeks to get the roof on and barely had it done before the spring rains came in April.
Of course, we called three companies for quotes and only one showed up.
All of them were rated A+ by the BBB.

DAB 06-12-2018 4:43pm

gravel! dump it, spread it, done. traffic will pack it down

09CTSV 06-13-2018 6:55am

Boss Lady says "Concrete". Happy wife, Happy life. Concrete it is.

mrvette 06-13-2018 7:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1631906)
Boss Lady says "Concrete". Happy wife, Happy life. Concrete it is.

Wife happened to be reading this thread, and started laughing.....and says 'You GO Girl!!!
...:hurray:

Datawiz 06-13-2018 7:58am

I've had a concrete contractor as a client for 26 years. They are REALLY EFFING busy these days. Construction is booming here in Fort Myers. :yesnod:

VITE1 06-13-2018 8:17am

Sounds like business is good in your area. Sucks for you but in the long run it will be better for all of us.

Cybercowboy 06-13-2018 11:05am

A friend of mine went through concrete contractor crap similar to your situation recently. He just wanted his back patio enlarged. He started the process of getting quotes back in December, finally got someone to come out and do the job about a month ago. If the job isn't very big they seem to be hard to get motivated to quote it and then actually do it.

mrvette 06-13-2018 11:21am

When doing my 300' addition here 20 years ago, I got a good concrete contractor to do the foundation....wall on one end was about 6' higher than the other one, which was essentially ground level, good size hill for Florida....anyway the backfill was sand of course, he let it get rained on for a month to settle it all on, then did the slab......

total cost 3 grand for his part....whole addition only cost me 8 grand, then had to replace the roof with metal 700 bux.....

then I enlarged one slab outside the kitchen slider door, and built an additional patio.....I framed and screeded/finished it myself, had the crete pumped into the back yard....total cost on that was about 500 bux.....5" slabs....

hate to see today's prices......:dance:

DAB 06-13-2018 2:42pm

i'm glad i got my shop done 3 years ago, when the contractors were begging for work to do, were not busy at all, and were glad to have paying work. and mortgage rates were low too (2.99%).

09CTSV 06-13-2018 4:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1631974)
i'm glad i got my shop done 3 years ago, when the contractors were begging for work to do, were not busy at all, and were glad to have paying work. and mortgage rates were low too (2.99%).

Called another recommended contractor who said they would be here in an hour to give us an estimate. I waited almost 3 hours without him showing up. I called back and he said he was on the way. I told him so was I to pick up my car from the shop and we might have to reschedule. He said he'd be by this evening. I declined, wife's birthday and we are going out. Something about someone saying they will be here at a time and no calls to say running late or or nothing. Makes one wonder about the quality of work you would get.
So the hunt goes on for someone to put in the driveway.

Oh did I say the hell with it and will probably head to the dragon tomorrow to test the V on the tail.

Black94lt1 06-13-2018 6:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1632000)
Oh did I say the hell with it and will probably head to the dragon tomorrow to test the V on the tail.

We’re headed there over the 4th of July :seasix: As for the driveway, I prefer asphalt, the natural melt in the winter is a huge plus

09CTSV 06-15-2018 3:10pm

But the burn on your feet or the dogs feet in 100 degree weather in SW Indiana, I'll take concrete. Plus the fact the moron who did the driveway was the same moron who did the original roof. Talk about a wave.

Oh and the dragon was awesome. Did a run Thursday night and an early morning run today. Not a lot of bikes and it was cool and quick!! The V did great on the trip, now to clean the 10 pounds of brake dust off the car.

Jeff '79 06-15-2018 3:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1632364)
But the burn on your feet or the dogs feet in 100 degree weather in SW Indiana, I'll take concrete. Plus the fact the moron who did the driveway was the same moron who did the original roof. Talk about a wave.

Oh and the dragon was awesome. Did a run Thursday night and an early morning run today. Not a lot of bikes and it was cool and quick!! The V did great on the trip, now to clean the 10 pounds of brake dust off the car.

Did you see a lot of people with teeth missing ? :leaving:

Mike Mercury 06-15-2018 3:15pm

https://pics.onsizzle.com/concrete-c...3-16019088.png

https://cdn.joke4fun.com/media/posts...8pd1mypylm.jpg

mrvette 06-15-2018 4:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1632368)

Wife sez THAT's NOT FAIR!!!!!

:dance::lol:

allthrottleandsomebottle 06-15-2018 4:46pm

They are troublesome every where...…….I had to remove a part from the backhoe of the guy doing my 54+ yards when I built the house to keep him here :) It worked!
The guy that did my 12 x52 slab behind the carport a few years ago was the exception and a good brick chucker too
Good luck, you will need it

lspencer534 06-15-2018 7:39pm

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but I think it's appropriate: Many years ago when I was in law school, I had a full-time job with a concrete company. I was a concrete/steel inspector who reported direct to the President of the company. One day I received a complaint from a customer about the concrete we had sold him; he said that it was cracking badly, and he wanted it to be replaced at our cost.

I couldn't satisfy the guy, so I asked fro the President's help. His name was Brock Day, a huge, imposing man. He and I went to the job site, and Brock and I inspected it, with the customer bitching all the way. Brock looked him straight in the eye and said, "Wood warps. Concrete cracks", and then walked away. End of story.

bill_daniels 06-15-2018 8:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1631974)

I've heard that ground penetrating radar can't find bodies buried under 19 inch slabs of concrete. That true? Asking for a friend.