The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   so does Sears still replace broken Craftsman tools? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16915)

Montehall 06-26-2011 6:31pm

so does Sears still replace broken Craftsman tools?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7-08-46_21.jpg

son of bitch.

Bill 06-26-2011 6:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 328737)
son of bitch.

Yes, is nice shiney tool.

Serious answer: Yes, they will replace it, although I have heard they will give you a repaired, used one, if available. I usually only return broken sockets, and always get a brand new replacement.

You might not want to mention the 6 foot cheater pipe you used on that wrench when talking to the Sears guy, though.....

Montehall 06-26-2011 6:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 328740)
You might not want to mention the 6 foot cheater pipe you used on that wrench when talking to the Sears guy, though.....

I didn't... I was loosening a nut on the a/c bracket.

69camfrk 06-26-2011 8:05pm

I have had some pretty bad luck out of some craftsmen tools in the last several months. I'm on my second 1/2" torque wrench which they will probably not replace, and it's damn sure not like I run a commercial garage out of my home, so it has had limited use. Also, a 3/8 socket wrench with extended arm and adjustable head, the gears are stripped. Other than sockets and regular tools, I may stop buying craftsman. Not nearly as good as years past.

ZipZap 06-26-2011 8:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 328844)
I have had some pretty bad luck out of some craftsmen tools in the last several months. I'm on my second 1/2" torque wrench which they will probably not replace, and it's damn sure not like I run a commercial garage out of my home, so it has had limited use. Also, a 3/8 socket wrench with extended arm and adjustable head, the gears are stripped. Other than sockets and regular tools, I may stop buying craftsman. Not nearly as good as years past.

:iagree:

Hit and miss these days. Thank god my 1/2 inch torque wrench is hanging in there. I beat the crap out of it on race weekends.

JRD77VET 06-26-2011 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 328844)
....... Also, a 3/8 socket wrench with extended arm and adjustable head, the gears are stripped. ..........

I stripped the gears in mine back in the mid 80s working on my '72 Monte Carlo.

Took it back, laid it on the counter and said "The gears are stripped, I'd like a new one".

The young kid looked at it and asked "Are you sure it's broke?" I pulled my left hand out of my pocket, unwrapped it and showed him the deep gash across the back of my hand.

The color drained from his face and it ran to get another racket. :lol:

99 pewtercoupe 06-26-2011 8:27pm

When I was in college in the 70s I worked for Sears. At that time it was 100% replace or refund. It was amazing how many tools sold on Friday were returned Monday as "defective" for a refund. Just saying:dance:

ConstantChange 06-26-2011 8:51pm

Quote:

Serious answer: Yes, they will replace it, although I have heard they will give you a repaired, used one, if available.

That's why I always find the replacement part I need first before talking to the person at the counter. Show them the part that's broken and show them the part you're taking to replace it. Usually they say no problem and that's the end of it.

ConstantChange 06-26-2011 8:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 328870)
When I was in college in the 70s I worked for Sears. At that time it was 100% replace or refund. It was amazing how many tools sold on Friday were returned Monday as "defective" for a refund. Just saying:dance:

That's like chicks that "buy" a nice dress for a party, keep the tags on it, and return it the next day. 100% bullshit IMO. They aren't in the rental business.

LATB 06-26-2011 8:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConstantChange (Post 328908)
That's like chicks that "buy" a nice dress for a party, keep the tags on it, and return it the next day. 100% bullshit IMO. They aren't in the rental business.

actually, some chicks are:

Backpage.com

Mrs. Colleen 06-26-2011 9:30pm

Quote:

Yes, is nice shiney tool.

Serious answer: Yes, they will replace it, although I have heard they will give you a repaired, used one, if available. I usually only return broken sockets, and always get a brand new replacement.

Mark just broke a ratchet and took it back to Sears. They pulled out their draw of refurbished ones to see what they could give him. He ended up with a nicer one that the one he broke because it was what they had. :dance:

Uncle Pervey 06-26-2011 9:30pm

Quote:

My wife ordered a leather jacket from VS, it showed up and she put it on for the first time. She said it smelled like cigarette smoke. She stuck her hand in the pocket and pulled out a bic and a pack of Virginia Slims. The other pocket had a woman's New Jersey drivers license.
She called them and raised hell about it, they sent her another jacket and some coupons for free shit. She sent the jacket, cigarettes and lighter back to VS. :rofl:

Mrs. Colleen 06-26-2011 9:36pm

Quote:

Some companies have started putting bright red tags on the outside of dresses that read "DRESS CANNOT BE RETURNED IF THIS TAG IS REMOVED." No more rentals. :rofl:

Mrs. Colleen 06-26-2011 9:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pervey (Post 328965)
My wife ordered a leather jacket from VS, it showed up and she put it on for the first time. She said it smelled like cigarette smoke. She stuck her hand in the pocket and pulled out a bic and a pack of Virginia Slims. The other pocket had a woman's New Jersey drivers license.
She called them and raised hell about it, they sent her another jacket and some coupons for free shit. She sent the jacket, cigarettes and lighter back to VS. :rofl:

DAMN! :rofl: I would be pissed too...but that is hilarious! :rofl:

99 pewtercoupe 06-26-2011 9:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 328971)
DAMN! :rofl: I would be pissed too...but that is hilarious! :rofl:

:iagree:

Mike Mercury 06-27-2011 7:49am

a couple of notes....

Sears will try to repair your broken ratchet first, and/or hand you a rebuilt used one. Lately, I've heard that just being handed a brand new one won't work out unless you cause a BIG STINK in front of everyone.
Suggestion; ask them to repair the one you brought in. Most Sears stores carry replacement parts; and will repair the ratchet while you wait.

Also, the Craftsman warranty does not cover commercial users. Personal use... OK; business use... not-OK.

Years ago I went to Sears on lunck break to return two broken sockets. The register dude saw the company name on my shirt and wanted to know who the sockets belonged to. I said they were mine -personal- but he didn't believe me at the start. It took some convincing... but I finally got them replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by from a tool forum
I had a lady at Sears Corporate office in Chicago tell me that since I own my own "commercial" buisiness none of my Craftsman tools are warranted at all, past 90 days. By the way, this is supposed to apply to Farming and Racing as well.

vetteman9368 06-27-2011 8:56am

I told this story at the other place a while back but I will rehash it here.

A few years back i bought a 1/2 click type torque wrench, the one where the number appears behind a little window (one of the more expensive ones, but not the digital). Well after a few days of using it (was building an engine), a piece of trash INSIDE the handle got lodged where you couldn't see the torque value through the little window. Took it back, about 3 weeks after the original purchase, and exchanged it, no problems.

Fast forward almost a year, and the same exact thing has happened to the new torque wrench. I go back to sears, with both my original receipt and the one for the exchange. Its is one year and one week since the original purchase, less than a year since the exchange. The dude at the register says that since it is over a year since the original purchase, they will not warranty it. I showed him what was wrong with the wrench, and he agreed that it was obviously a defect/quality control issue, but said that he couldn't do anything. Called over the dept manager who said the same thing. I asked for the store manager and after basically telling the dept manager that I had all afternoon to wait, he went and got him. After about 30 minutes of back and forth with the gen mgr he finally gave me one of their lowest grade click torque wrenches. and told me " I'm giving you this for customer satisfaction, but this one has no warranty". I asked him if it would be covered if I bent it in half around an idiot's head...............I was then asked to leave the store. I told him that I would never, under any circumstance set foot in a Sears again, and neither me or my dad have ( and we used to spend several thousand a year on tools there, both business and personal/racing).

I have since started buying the lifetime warranty Kobalt tools at Lowe's. The quality seems to be just as good, a Lowe's is easier to find when I am out of town racing, and Lowe's seems to have a much lower chance of filing bankruptcy.

NB2K 06-27-2011 9:43am

Craftsman is junk now, I don't care what AJ says.