The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ramblings from a family beach trip. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119662)

69camfrk 06-29-2019 10:22am

Ramblings from a family beach trip.

1 Attachment(s)
As many of you know, I've been at Pawleys Island SC this week. As an extended family, we have been coming here for 40 years. I remember the headlines when John Wayne died in the local newspaper here in June of 1979. That trip was my first beach trip after my father's death in September of '78. Pretty much all of my Mom's side was here, as well as some members of my Aunt Evelyn's, sister's family.

Just like now, family members came and went throughout the week as their schedule allowed. Some were lucky like me, to stay the whole week, others just got part. Either way, it was a grand time at the "Old Grey Barn", a house that despite Hugo's efforts in 1989 to erase, stood. We moved on from the Barn many years ago, but I still can drive by it, or walk in front on the beach just to say "hi". There were a lot of good memories had there, and plus, the house itself is as much a legend on the island as anything.
The "Old Grey Barn"...

Attachment 28147

Somehow, this trip has taken on a different perspective. Obviously, my Mom has been gone for 3 years, and her brother (my Uncle Frank and his wife Evelyn) still come with their kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. It really hit me hard this morning, realizing that my time with my oldest relatives, is drawing nigh. My Uncle Frank has dementia, and it is coming on at a fairly alarming rate at this point. I have a story, but will leave it for another day. It's not funny, but funny at the same time. It's certainly not like we don't all know the inevitable, but in my heart, I know the dynamics of who will be here next year, are likely to change. Admittedly, I've struggled with it this morning, so thanks for letting me ramble some.

I guess I'll get away from this thing, and enjoy our last day here, and all that it brings. I hope all of you here have a wonderful day with your family and friends. :cert:

snide 06-29-2019 11:19am

:cheers:

Norm 06-29-2019 11:47am

Good that you have a large family, extended or not. Sounds like a good time for the most part.

I always liked that area down there, did many bike weeks in MB, stayed in Garden City, hung out down Murrells Inlet, frequented the River City Cafe many times. or whatever it was called back then. Peanuts, just throw the shells on the floor. Hung out down Georgetown a bit too.:D

VITE1 06-29-2019 12:02pm

I don't have a large family. I do go on a camping trip each year by the beach. Same group of friends for the past 50 plus years.

Most of our parents, who started the trip back in the mid 60s, are gone. This year my grandkids will be the first of the 4th generation.

We look back at all the good and not so good times over all that time. The point is we all have memories we share about those who are gone and some traditions they started and we try to pass them on.

It's our way of honoring all they tried to do for us.

And we will keep trying for the next generations as well.

Olustee bus 06-29-2019 1:15pm

I understand. My Aunt Evelyn is 100 and has dementia. We still enjoy talking to her. We are very close.

StaticCling 06-29-2019 1:42pm

My wife's family has something similar. A cottage on Chautauqua Lake in Upstate New York. Her Grandfather owned it originally, then her Cousin Pete purchased it after her Grandfather died in 1988. Pete is getting up there in years, still with it, but he is in his late 80's. He is a very, very cool guy. Flew F-86's in the 50's in the Air Force, retired a Captain for American in the early 90's.

My wife spent her childhood at the cottage during the Summers, so her memories are much more lengthy than mine...but the few times I have been there, we have made memories of our own together. It's a wonderful little place, almost magical in a way. :)

69camfrk 06-29-2019 4:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1674932)
Good that you have a large family, extended or not. Sounds like a good time for the most part.

I always liked that area down there, did many bike weeks in MB, stayed in Garden City, hung out down Murrells Inlet, frequented the River City Cafe many times. or whatever it was called back then. Peanuts, just throw the shells on the floor. Hung out down Georgetown a bit too.:D

I posted it last year, but MB is straight out of "The Book of Eli". The closest I came to there was the intersection where you go into MB HD, and didn't even go there for one of their over priced T shirts. Pawleys, with the exception of houses built after Hugo, is almost exactly the same.:seasix:

boracayjohnny 06-29-2019 10:40pm

James, you have great memories from plenty of good times there. The kids are still forming their great memories whether they know it or not.

:cert:

simpleman68 06-30-2019 11:29am

Really nice part of the country. My Dad's side is almost all centered around Charleston and surrounding islands.
Lots of great memories growing up visiting there.

This Easter we rented a beach house on Folly and had everyone over for a few days.
Scott

https://i.imgur.com/f5mrZkNh.jpg

69camfrk 06-30-2019 4:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1674964)
Really nice part of the country. My Dad's side is almost all centered around Charleston and surrounding islands.
Lots of great memories growing up visiting there.

This Easter we rented a beach house on Folly and had everyone over for a few days.
Scott

https://i.imgur.com/f5mrZkNh.jpg

Do you always visit "Bert's" when you go to Folly? Talk about an institution..:seasix: "We may doze, but we never close"!!:lol:

simpleman68 06-30-2019 6:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1674978)
Do you always visit "Bert's" when you go to Folly? Talk about an institution..:seasix: "We may doze, but we never close"!!:lol:

Yes we do, free coffee AND they carry our salad dressing.

My niece (brunette in the middle of the pic) works there while finishing her degree.

Most breakfasts are at Lost Dog Cafe. My brother is there 3-4 days a week after he surfs the "wash out" :cert:
Scott

69camfrk 06-30-2019 6:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1674989)
Yes we do, free coffee AND they carry our salad dressing.

My niece (brunette in the middle of the pic) works there while finishing her degree.

Most breakfasts are at Lost Dog Cafe. My brother is there 3-4 days a week after he surfs the "wash out" :cert:
Scott

That's awesome! It really is the kind of store that has everything. Hell, craft beer, or banjo strings..your pick! Melvin's BBQ is another of my favorite joints there. Dang, now I'm hungry!