The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   House to vote on bill abolishing IRS, eliminating income tax. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130975)

Mike Mercury 01-10-2023 9:42am

House to vote on bill abolishing IRS, eliminating income tax.

Republicans in the House of Representatives will vote on a bill that would abolish the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), eliminate the national income tax, and replace it with a national consumption tax.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...ing-income-tax

Fox News Digital has learned that the House will be voting on Georgia Republican Rep. Buddy Carter's reintroduced Fair Tax Act that aims to reel in the IRS and remove the national income tax, as well as other taxes, and replace them with a single consumption tax.

The vote on the bill was made as part of the deal between House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and members of the House Freedom Caucus and was pushed forward in his quest for the gavel.

"Cosponsoring this Georgia-made legislation was my first act as a Member of Congress and is, fittingly, the first bill I am introducing in the 118th Congress," Carter said in a press release exclusively obtained by Fox News Digital.

"Instead of adding 87,000 new agents to weaponize the IRS against small business owners and middle America, this bill will eliminate the need for the department entirely by simplifying the tax code with provisions that work for the American people and encourage growth and innovation," Carter continued.

"Armed, unelected bureaucrats should not have more power over your paycheck than you do," he added.

"As a former small business owner, I understand the unnecessary burden our failing income tax system has on Americans. The Fair Tax Act eliminates the tax code, replaces the income tax with a sales tax, and abolishes the abusive Internal Revenue Service. If enacted, this will invigorate the American taxpayer and help more Americans achieve the American Dream," Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-S.C., said.

"I support the Fair Tax because it simplifies our tax code. This transforms the U.S. tax code from a mandatory, progressive, and convoluted system to a fully transparent and unbiased system which does away with the IRS as we know it. It is good for our economy because it encourages work, savings, and investment. Thank you to my colleague Rep. Buddy Carter for leading this effort to simplify the system for American taxpayers," Rep. Bob Good, R-Va., said.

Specifically, the bill gets rid of the national personal and corporate income taxes and abolishes the IRS — which is slated to hire 87,000 new agents unless congressional Republicans can stop it — as well as implements a national sales tax.

Additionally, the bill gets rid of the death, gift, and payroll taxes, and would replace the current tax code with a national consumption tax.

The bill illustrates the hardline stance House Republicans are taking with the Biden administration and their policies expanding the federal government, including new funding for 87,000 IRS positions.

https://images7.memedroid.com/images...03e72116c.jpeg

VITE1 01-10-2023 9:46am

I am not a fan of a consumption tax because it over burdens the lower income groups since most of their income is spent VS higher income groups where a larger % of income is invested.

I am in favor of a flat tax or graduated flat tax ( where lower income people still pay taxes just to make sure they have skin in the game) It's proven to work in several countries around the world and increases tax compliance simply because there is a lower cost to comply than to try and avoid the tax.

sublime1996525 01-10-2023 9:46am

hahaha that is one hell of a pipe dream that will never be passed.

Steve_R 01-10-2023 9:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 2035351)
hahaha that is one hell of a pipe dream that will never be passed.

Yup. Exactly zero chance of becoming law. Grandstanding instead of doing the job we elected them to do.

Blademaker 01-10-2023 9:54am

Dream on

TheRealBadger 01-10-2023 10:01am

Please. Please. Please.

Norm 01-10-2023 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 2035357)
Yup. Exactly zero chance of becoming law. Grandstanding instead of doing the job we elected them to do.

Just like term limits.........

6spdC6 01-10-2023 10:11am

Ah, the old Vat Tax gambit! VAT= Value Added Tax!

dvarapala 01-10-2023 10:19am

Is it April 1st already? :shrug:

Taurus 01-10-2023 10:28am

Pipe dream , they should have started out with something they had a shot to get through to show some purpose and stability.

Onebadcad 01-10-2023 10:28am

This should be their focus in the house:

1) Term Limits, three is a good number
2) Age Limit, make it 75
3) Put a limit on campaign fundraising
4) If you are running unopposed you cannot raise any campaign money
5) No campaign money from influencers in industries you regulate
6) Full financial disclosure each year, supported by statements, as the wealth of many comes from those they assist with laws and bills
7) One Bill Only, no more bills with 1,000 different spending actions
8) House Member to oversee fbi, irs and doj, as all are corrupt
9) Life in jail for any felony committed, no more slaps on the wrist
10) Reduce staff and salaries by 50%, lower max salary from $212K to $150K

Craig 01-10-2023 10:35am

The FairTax concept is the most productive, innovative tax system anyone in this government has come up with; it’s also the most studied. It makes tax paying, largely voluntary, it takes power away from government, and it invites international investment in what would be the world’s largest tax shelter. Who wouldn’t want to come to the US and do business here?

And it’s not a VAT, it’s a tax on goods at the retail level only, it’s the opposite of a VAT.

So, you’re right, our “leaders” will never go for it. It would make it harder to give us problems only they can solve.

Jughead 01-10-2023 10:41am

posturing

VatorMan 01-10-2023 12:52pm

Consumption tax just means more stuff will be bought in Mexico and Canada than here. I agree-flat tax works best.

mtnman 01-10-2023 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 2035470)
Consumption tax just means more stuff will be bought in Mexico and Canada than here. I agree-flat tax works best.

For border counties maybe... Consider the added revenue from out of country visitors from other countries though. These folks (particularly snowbirds from Canada) could be adding quite a bit of additional tax revenue to the US...

Additionally, the "rich" that avoid a lot of taxes through utilizing loopholes in the system would likely end up contributing more as well...

Other than the fact that it would penalize the low income folks more adversely than higher income folks - I don't see a ton of downside here. And if the consumption tax was set low enough - the impact on low income folks wouldn't be very severe.

Bill 01-10-2023 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus (Post 2035373)
Pipe dream , they should have started out with something they had a shot to get through to show some purpose and stability.

so, naming a post office for a dead rap star? That might pass the Senate and the White House.

GTOguy 01-10-2023 1:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorytellerStealth (Post 2035480)
Mabe republicans will do something right for a change.:seasix:

Republicans will fumble the ball again, like they always do. They need to go full on evil as **** criminal like the Dems in order to get anywhere, and they don't have the balls or lack of morals to do it. :yesnod:

Mike Mercury 01-10-2023 1:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnman (Post 2035473)

Other than the fact that it would penalize the low income folks more adversely than higher income folks - I don't see a ton of downside here.

:thumbs:

the less income a person makes... the more frugal they tend to be.

cptlo306 01-10-2023 2:07pm

It'll never pass Congress, but at least maybe it'll get more people to learn more about the FairTax.