The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Chronicles of Bear (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129750)

Rodnok1 09-28-2022 8:20pm

The Chronicles of Bear

7 Attachment(s)
Say hello to my new little 4 legged biting chewing machine, a Sable German Shepherd named Bear. Working line dog, mom in from Germany this year.

Been here a week now, adjusting well as in everything has been chewed on LOL.

Said he was high drive and loved to bite, no false advertising there.

He had zero social skills being an only pup of the litter, he's getting better every day though.
Wish I'd gotten him a few weeks earlier and lucky did now as at 16 weeks he's been a handful.
After he'd been here a couple of days he was trotting around the yard when a tall blade of grass rubbed on him. He stopped and turned around with a look of "I know you didn't just touch me" He then proceeded to go postal on the grass... I'm not gonna lie, I right then may have sensed I had a Tasmanian devil not a puppy.

He gulps food so new slow eating bowl for him. Really making him mad but it also tires him out.

Went for his first car ride today and did well.

Hardest thing for him is he needs alot more nap time than he wants, but his behavior has gotten better.
He can hear a squirrel fart half mile away I swear.
Pretty much used to my movements and routine now, wife and son he's getting better with but has picked up a bad habit this week of barking.

Started training already, he walks decent enough and will sit most of the time. He's got a bad habit of mouthing your hands which I'm getting close of ridding him of hopefully.
He's a handful but a good boy, only a couple of accidents in house so far.

Next round of shots soon so guess we see how he likes the needle.
Couple pics of Bear and parents.

Stay tuned for the next puncture filled episode....

Big bob 09-28-2022 8:55pm

Very intelligent looking pup! You have your work cut out for you.:yesnod:

Old Ben 09-29-2022 8:44am

Cute looking pup. I hope he grows into those ears.

Bill 09-29-2022 9:07am

A remorseless chewing machine!

Rodnok1 09-29-2022 9:14am

He's getting used to running around while doing yard chores already, he's scared of 4 wheeled cart still.
Told the wife to avoid fuzzy robes.. She didn't listen and he disrobed her.. I may have laughed. I get out of the hospital Sunday.

Mike Mercury 09-29-2022 9:29am

Woof !

MikeB 09-29-2022 9:32am

Good looking pup. :seasix:

Onebadcad 09-29-2022 10:18am

Very most excellent Doggie, I love GSs, will have one in the future.

An aside, wifey got an AussieDoodle (Aussie Shepherd / Poddle) 5 months ago, now Dolly is seven months, big girl, over 40 pounds, AND she chews everything in sight, I realize she has great teeth, but damn, no need to show us everyday.
Oh, and she eats AND poops like a horse!!

Good luck with that awesome dog!!

snide 09-29-2022 6:57pm

Great looking pup! He's gonna be stunning when he's full grown.

:cheers:

Rodnok1 10-01-2022 9:14am

He was a bit cranked up from not being able to run much yesterday... He about ran his legs off.
Ran into me twice about killed both of us.
Figured out the phrase "come back here with that you sum beach" means "run faster" to Bear.. :slap:
I'm getting a big net.

Big bob 10-01-2022 10:04am

Yep I had a dog like that back in the 70s. I can't remember his original name but he answered to DAMNITT. :rofl:

Rodnok1 10-10-2022 6:40pm

Bear ran into gate post last week about ruined himself. Think he bruised his ribs. I know he was hurting as he quit biting completely. Kept in wire kennel for 4 or 5 days mostly until he healed up. Think he dog tracks so bad frt end cleared and back end didn't. I turned around for 2 seconds so didn't see what happened. About 95% healed up.

Getting more used to wife and son, barking at them cut way down now. He's barking for attention mainly.

Feeding him more often, every 2 or 3 hours now, seems to be calming him down some.

Practicing car rides every couple of days, went for solo back seat ride before bed tonight.

Put a blanket over kennel to limit his stimuli so sleeps better.

Neighbors dog(who bit the other neighbor) barked at us on a walk last week and Bear wanted nothing to do with it. Nope, nada ain't happening. Put ears back and pulled me back home to the door. Stranger Danger I guess. Still won't walk out to the road with me.

Once he gets better in car I'll take him out alot more to expose him to as much as possible.

Frankie the Fink 10-11-2022 5:40pm

Best dog I ever had was a Shepard, got it younger than the pup you picture above. Fiercely protective of the family but a big baby at heart....in a bizarre bit of behavior UPS trucks freaked her out, she got where she could identify their sound when approaching the neighborhood and boy everybody knew a package was coming, frantic barking and running about. Never did figure that out, mailman, FedEx etc - she couldn't care less.

Mick 10-11-2022 6:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Ben (Post 1994878)
Cute looking pup. I hope he grows into those ears.

In my experience, I have no doubt he will do just that. Might not be a good thing though!

Miss Belle looked like that, HUGE ears, and incredibly high energy when she came home. Grew into the ears, and the folks saying "she'll calm down a lot when she turns 2", well, Belle never got that memo. Still a raving lunatic at nearly 11 years old. Loves her morning cuddle with her Dad though, so I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Vegas 10-11-2022 8:30pm

Great looking pup :seasix:

Rodnok1 10-13-2022 2:21pm

1 Attachment(s)
Getting him out and about couple times a week, car rides up to an hr. He's very good in the car.
Vehicles in parking lots are noisey and scared him. Took into Lowe's a couple of times. Didn't mind ride in cart. Not super thrilled about strangers yet. Yes he's a bit skittish, working on it daily.
Next up will be a trip to local park and go visit mom at work.

Frankie the Fink 10-13-2022 4:47pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1999554)
In my experience, I have no doubt he will do just that. Might not be a good thing though!

Miss Belle looked like that, HUGE ears, and incredibly high energy when she came home. Grew into the ears, and the folks saying "she'll calm down a lot when she turns 2", well, Belle never got that memo. Still a raving lunatic at nearly 11 years old. Loves her morning cuddle with her Dad though, so I wouldn't trade her for the world.

My Shephard puppiy's ears would actually cross when we first got her, weird looking. My daughter grew up with the dog and when it passed the whole family was just desolated for a good while. Daughter is 42 now and she has a rescue mutt, Disco the Wonder Dog. Ugly as mud, lovable as all hell.
Loves to crusie the lake with "Pap"
:shots:

Mick 10-13-2022 5:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 2000234)
My Shephard puppiy's ears would actually cross when we first got her, weird looking. My daughter grew up with the dog and when it passed the whole family was just desolated for a good while. Daughter is 42 now and she has a rescue mutt, Disco the Wonder Dog. Ugly as mud, lovable as all hell.
Loves to crusie the lake with "Pap"
:shots:

My family got our first GSD in 1967. One of my earliest memories is of bringing Erica home. I was 3 then, 15 when she passed. I still think of her from time to time. Great friend. :yesnod:

Disco looks like he is a great companion!

NEED-A-VETTE 10-13-2022 6:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1994754)
Stay tuned for the next puncture filled episode....

What a handsome boy. ❤️❤️🥹🥹

I love those slow feeders. I use a version of that for wet food for my special needs, rescue cat that used to gulp her food…and the immediately throw it up. 😒 They work like a charm. 👍

Looking forward to seeing more of Bear. GSDs are one of my favorite breeds. I just don’t have the time or yard space for one. ☹️

DAB 10-13-2022 6:30pm

1 Attachment(s)
Neighbor and her two dogs this morning.