The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Office rebuild has begun... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125688)

Datawiz 05-05-2021 11:36am

Office rebuild has begun...

1 Attachment(s)
I've had to add some material to accommodate the larger 32" monitors, and I just got back from Home Depot, I bought the material to make the new top level. Unlike the old setup where the top row sat on a shelf, and were recessed a bit, the new setup will just stack 14" tall identical sections on top, and then that row will be just flush with the bottom two. Will be a much better solution. :yesnod:

So far I put the torx bit through my right thumb fingernail, right at the cuticle, and today, while using the electric circular saw, I caught the tip of my left middle finger in the blade. Lotta blood, but I get to keep all of my digits. :lol:

18 new display port cables just arrived today, so I've now got all parts to put this together. It's like a jigsaw puzzle trying to position the monitors in such a way that they all fit. :willy:

Mike Mercury 05-05-2021 12:21pm

https://images.indianexpress.com/201...ost6.jpg?w=450

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...d-be-great.jpg

Datawiz 05-05-2021 1:24pm

1 Attachment(s)
:datawiz:

Rodnok1 05-05-2021 2:44pm

I would have used cedar or redwood but hey looks good :kimblair:

Datawiz 05-05-2021 3:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1879057)
I would have used cedar or redwood but hey looks good :kimblair:

Pine is fine. You really can't see any of the structure once the monitors are installed. Lived with the 1st layer for nearly 5 years with the top row of monitors sitting on the shelf. VERY much looking forward to version 2.0 with the top row flush with the other two. :hurray:

I need functional, not beautiful. Much more important for the monitors to be arranged as close to perfect as possible.

mrvette 05-05-2021 3:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1879042)
:datawiz:

MAN how times have changed, ~50 years ago my Father was in the insurance broker/agent business......majoring in group insurance.....and of course one of the earliest automated billing machines....SCM auto typewriter and 'ticker' tape that was stopped and folks added/deleted off corporate accounts....a very noisey operation with a dedicated room and a purrfect gal to run it.....Dorothy..she was mostly deaf and so the noise did not bother her.....

sound proof rooms......the office moved 2-3 times in that time frame.....

today is a L O N G bunch of advances over that stuff....

the tapes looked like narrow cash register tapes, and could run VERY long lengths.....some of the VERY larger builders/clients had over 500 employees.....

BTW, SCM stands for Smith Corona Marchant.......

Datawiz 05-05-2021 3:50pm

2 Attachment(s)
1st and 2nd top section done. Calling it a day as it's my night to cook. Will finish the 3rd and final top section tomorrow and then get the 3rd row mounted and all 18 fired up. :yesnod:

simpleman68 05-05-2021 4:02pm

Looks good man but if you wind up "short-handed" I'll be down next week with a truckload of power tools. :D
Scott

Stangkiller 05-05-2021 4:10pm

Shit given the price of wood that may just be more expensive than the monitors were.

Looking good Craig

Datawiz 05-05-2021 4:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1879066)
Looks good man but if you wind up "short-handed" I'll be down next week with a truckload of power tools. :D
Scott

What are the dates you are here?

I'm never short on power tools. I buy them all of the time to meet my needs. I can't even count how many Ryobi electric tools I have now. 13, 14?. No clue. Lots of batteries. :lol:

Datawiz 05-05-2021 4:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1879069)
Shit given the price of wood that may just be more expensive than the monitors were.

Looking good Craig

I don't remember what I spent for the initial layer, with the top, but I spent another $250 in wood for the new layer today, including another 5 pounds of 3" deck screws. :yesnod:

I'm actually pretty pleased with the video cards I have in hand. They will never run flight simulator at any great speed, but their ability to deliver high quality 4k resolution on 18 monitors looks to be exceptional. Consider that $6k in savings because I'm just not a gamer, and I don't think I need those $2k engineering cards after all. It looks like I can sell my existing 3 Nvidia 1070 video cards for close to $1,200 for all 3. Counting wood, video cards, and cables, the new monitor setup is just a bit north of $10k. I did just get 2 more 12 TB hard drives to swap out 8 TB hard drives...keeping everything fresh and new...my backup strategy. :rofl:

simpleman68 05-05-2021 5:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1879075)
What are the dates you are here?

I'm never short on power tools. I buy them all of the time to meet my needs. I can't even count how many Ryobi electric tools I have now. 13, 14?. No clue. Lots of batteries. :lol:

I wasn't raggin' on your skills. Just want to be sure you keep enough fingers that you don't qualify for a real handicap at the track. :D

I'll be down next Wed the 13th and headed home the 27th for my buddies wedding.
I'll likely be back down after that again early June for a week or so.
Scott

Thunder22 05-05-2021 5:51pm

I like soup

Datawiz 05-05-2021 6:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1879083)
I like soup

Quality content. I recommend you for a VBOT promotion, as your contribution is just off of the charts. :cert:

Datawiz 05-05-2021 7:04pm

Notice...that 1990's era VHS/DVD TV is finally gone. :lol: It still works perfectly. We're attempting to give it away on nextdoor.com.

To give you some context, the VHS tape in the machine had NASCAR on it. I haven't watched NASCRAP in decades. :rofl: BUT, the machine works flawlessly. Like a time capsule. VHS and DVD in a single unit.

JRD77VET 05-05-2021 7:37pm

Build looks solid :yesnod:

Be careful with the power tools, they have no feelings or conscience and don't care if flesh gets in the way.

Jeff

Thunder22 05-05-2021 7:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1879085)
Quality content. I recommend you for a VBOT promotion, as your contribution is just off of the charts. :cert:

One day you'll post something worthwhile.... don't give up :shots:

DAB 05-05-2021 7:57pm

No mortise and tenon joinery???

No teak??

Boo.

:dance:

:DAB:

Suits your needs, then that’s all that matters. :smash:

dvarapala 05-05-2021 8:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1879111)
No mortise and tenon joinery???

No teak??

Boo.

He should cover it with peel-and-stick laminate to match the desk. :D

Rodnok1 05-05-2021 8:15pm

If closer I'd had the kid TIG you up some aluminum tubing for a setup, maybe stainless even. You'd look like the master hacker then. Of course you'd have to upgrade the desk then though, maybe a DAB special.