The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Verizon lowers fee for Apple Watch connection (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123649)

Mike Mercury 09-16-2020 8:56am

Verizon lowers fee for Apple Watch connection

It’s cheaper to use an Apple Watch with Verizon now

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/2...hly-cost-price

If you were thinking of adding a new Apple Watch (or any other LTE-ready smartwatch with a dedicated phone number) to your Verizon account, you’ll probably like to hear that the carrier just cut the monthly cost of doing that by half. Normally $20, it now costs $10 per month for all plan types.

This is welcome news considering Apple debuted two new Apple Watch models today: the Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE, both of which have an LTE option. The most affordable Series 6 with LTE costs $499 ($399 without LTE), but the real bargain is the Apple Watch SE with LTE, which costs $329 (just $50 more than its price without LTE). Both models are available for preorder now and will be available this Friday.

If you’d like to buy Apple Watches for your whole family, this news will be even better. Apple showed off the Family Setup feature that lets you set up and manage multiple Apple Watches with just a single iPhone. Before, you needed an iPhone paired to each smartwatch.

The caveat here is that each of these Apple Watches connected through the iPhone via Family Setup needs to be an LTE model, not the cheaper GPS model. (It supports as far back as the Apple Watch Series 4.) But if you’re someone who wants to load up on Apple Watches for your family, paying for them each month will be a little more affordable at Verizon.

https://pics.me.me/apple-watch-39231677.png

Mike Mercury 09-16-2020 8:58am

also:

Apple is removing the USB power adapter from upcoming Apple Watch boxes

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/2...iphone-12-next

Apple on Tuesday announced it would no longer be shipping USB power adapters with Apple Watch devices as part of an effort to reduce its environmental impact. The announcement was made by Lisa Jackson — Apple’s vice president of environment, policy, and social initiatives — during the company’s “Time Flies” live stream event, in which it announced the new Apple Watch Series 6 and cheaper Apple Watch SE.

Removing the power adapter means new Apple Watch customers won’t have access to the device that plugs into the wall, but they should still receive Apple’s custom Apple Watch cable that recharges the device wirelessly.

According to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, this move won’t be restricted to Apple Watch devices; it will also include upcoming iPhones. Apple may be planning an iPhone-specific live stream event for later this year, likely in October, where it could announce a similar removal of USB power adapters from the boxes of its new smartphones.

Giraffe (He/Him) 09-16-2020 9:23am

It's amazing to me the number of people who proclaim; I don't need a watch. I've got my phone. It could be anything from a $20.00 Timex to a $50k Audemars.

But they can't get their wallets out quick enough for one of these damn things which wears EXACTLY like a watch.

dvarapala 09-16-2020 9:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1806380)
If you were thinking of adding a new Apple Watch (or any other LTE-ready smartwatch with a dedicated phone number) to your Verizon account, you’ll probably like to hear that the carrier just cut the monthly cost of doing that by half. Normally $20, it now costs $10 per month for all plan types.

BFD. My Samsung Galaxy watches have been $10/month on AT&T for almost a decade. :rolleyes:

snide 09-16-2020 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1806396)
It's amazing to me the number of people who proclaim; I don't need a watch. I've got my phone. It could be anything from a $20.00 Timex to a $50k Audemars.

But they can't get their wallets out quick enough for one of these damn things which wears EXACTLY like a watch.

I have well over a dozen watches, including a couple of Omegas and a Tag Heuer that I don't wear. Can't imagine wearing an iWatch or a Google Wear watch anytime soon. :shrug:

And I love my Omegas. :shrug:

Oh, and **** Verizon. :yesnod:

Oh, and STFU Porter.

Millenium Vette 09-16-2020 1:50pm

I just checked my Verizon bill and they already are charging me $10/month for the Apple watch.

Millenium Vette 09-16-2020 1:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1806396)

There has been speculation that one reason watches are so hot right now is that the Apple watch has gotten many interested in watches again.

:cert:

Giraffe (He/Him) 09-16-2020 2:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1806465)
There has been speculation that one reason watches are so hot right now is that the Apple watch has gotten many interested in watches again.

:cert:

I’ve read this also in more than a few watch blogs and websites. :yesnod:

snide 09-16-2020 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1806464)
I just checked my Verizon bill and they already are charging me $10/month for the Apple watch.

I hope you have an Apple Watch...

GS Ragtop 09-20-2020 8:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1806464)

:iagree:

Been that way since I got my first Apple Watch 3 years ago.