The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   [Political] Well, looks like American colleges/universities are bound & determined... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123506)

Cybercowboy 08-31-2020 8:45am

[Political] Well, looks like American colleges/universities are bound & determined...

to become utterly irrelevant. Look at the insanity they are doing on these college campuses. The draconian, prison-like conditions they are pushing on these students. All so they can be indoctrinated in commie propaganda, psychological torture included at no additional cost. Zoom meetings by yourself in a cell block with meals delivered just like real prison. No tuition reduction, endless forced testing, threats of expulsion with no refunds for breaking even the most minor rule, no fun allowed.

If you work for these institutions and think this is OK, you're a complete tool. :wtf:

dvarapala 08-31-2020 8:58am

College has evolved into a scam. Kids spent 4, 5, 6 years and take on tens of thousands of dollars in student debt, only to be unable to get a decent job after they graduate. Once people realize they can be a Barista at Starbucks or an InstaCart driver without wasting all that time and money they will start skipping college altogether. :yesnod:

VatorMan 08-31-2020 9:03am

All of this could have been a non issue if the college was the one responsible for student loans.

All their graduates would have been engineers, doctors, etc....

Even a college recognizes a liberal arts degree means no $$$$

Mike Mercury 08-31-2020 9:08am

https://www.thecollegefix.com/wp-con...Professors.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/518n6bre1nL.jpg

StaticCling 08-31-2020 10:17am

College is a joke. Unless you are going for an Engineering Degree, Doctoring, Lawyering etc, what is the point?

You can train just about anybody for the mast majority of work out there. Or become a Journeyman doing a trade. Or even Trade School.

Elon Musk said that he doesn't give two shits about somebodies college degree. Shit, most of the Captain's of Industry in the modern age are/were College Dropouts.

:island14:

Mike Mercury 08-31-2020 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1801172)
College is a joke. Unless you are going for an Engineering Degree, Doctoring, Lawyering etc, what is the point?

it's a jobs-program for professors.

Cybercowboy 08-31-2020 10:45am

I see the mods marked this thread "[Political]". I guess it's "political" to point out insanity and reactionary bullshit now. Cool.

99 pewtercoupe 08-31-2020 11:50am

I have a sister & BIL that are both fully tenured professors at a state university in New England. Both teach religion/philosophy. Neither has ever had a full time job outside of academia.
Needless to say, there is very little that we see eye to eye on.

dvarapala 08-31-2020 12:29pm

Quote:

You can train just about anybody for the mast majority of work out there. Or become a Journeyman doing a trade. Or even Trade School.

How do we get back to the days when a high school diploma was all the education one needed to get a decent job and support yourself? :shrug:

Aerovette 08-31-2020 3:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1801136)
to become utterly irrelevant. Look at the insanity they are doing on these college campuses. The draconian, prison-like conditions they are pushing on these students. All so they can be indoctrinated in commie propaganda, psychological torture included at no additional cost. Zoom meetings by yourself in a cell block with meals delivered just like real prison. No tuition reduction, endless forced testing, threats of expulsion with no refunds for breaking even the most minor rule, no fun allowed.

If you work for these institutions and think this is OK, you're a complete tool. :wtf:

Driving tuition down to a level where the government can afford it.

Rodnok1 08-31-2020 4:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1801203)
How do we get back to the days when a high school diploma was all the education one needed to get a decent job and support yourself? :shrug:

When the colleges and universities are not making millions upon millions that's when.
I remember not hiring a guy with a master's degree back in the 80s when I ran a fast food place. He was 27/28 and had zero work experience but had a masters, believe it was a liberal arts degree but wasn't in anything useful like engineering. Wanted a 3.25 an hr job as he'd been looking for years in his area.

Rob 09-01-2020 6:11am

Quote:

Don't believe everything that you read. :yesnod:

Giraffe (He/Him) 09-01-2020 7:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1801203)

It's unfortunate but a college degree isn't necessarily worth much these days either.

Olustee bus 09-01-2020 7:28am

Quote:

Elon Musk said that he doesn't give two shits about somebodies college degree. Shit, most of the Captain's of Industry in the modern age are/were College Dropouts.

:island14:

Absolutely. Learn some kind skill that is needed, take other training available in areas like Science related to the industry, business and accounting skills. Even if you are not self employed, those skills will make you more valuable to an employer.

NEED-A-VETTE 09-01-2020 9:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1801176)
I see the mods marked this thread "[Political]". I guess it's "political" to point out insanity and reactionary bullshit now. Cool.

You mentioned commie propaganda, which steers it toward political. I marked it political, rather than moving it to PRC where no one would see the thread.

We’ve given a of latitude to threads that should be moved to PRC for the sole purpose of allowing them to be seen here. Once they get moved PRC, they tend to die.

Would you rather I have moved it?

If you disagree with that assessment, that’s fine. We can agree to disagree.

Bill 09-01-2020 9:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1801469)

:D

:ohnoes:

:hide:

Rob 09-01-2020 9:56am

Quote:

Called some colleagues at a few universities mentioned in that article, seems the facts stated for each of their universities are all false....including those stated about my employer.

Cybercowboy 09-01-2020 1:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 1801482)
Called some colleagues at a few universities mentioned in that article, seems the facts stated for each of their universities are all false....including those stated about my employer.

I'm actually glad to hear that.

snide 09-01-2020 2:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1801469)
You mentioned commie propaganda, which steers it toward political. I marked it political, rather than moving it to PRC where no one would see the thread.

We’ve given a of latitude to threads that should be moved to PRC for the sole purpose of allowing them to be seen here. Once they get moved PRC, they tend to die.

Would you rather I have moved it?

If you disagree with that assessment, that’s fine. We can agree to disagree.

Oh great. You're one of those people. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Rob 09-01-2020 3:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1801556)
Oh great. You're one of those people. :rolleyes:

:cheers:

great, you are one of those