The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   West Virginia Turnpike (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125299)

outrunm 03-19-2021 8:04am

West Virginia Turnpike

I had never heard of it. What an awesome stretch of road! :seasix:

04 commemorative 03-19-2021 8:12am

1 Attachment(s)

Rodnok1 03-19-2021 8:53am

Except for the 12 bucks each way tolls.
I have an easy pass from WV just for the turnpike as I drive it 3 to 6 times a year.
They maintain it very well even in the winter it's usually clean and salted during storms immediately.
I prefer to drive it at night when roads are empty.

ZipZap 03-19-2021 10:44am

Robert Byrd was a master at pork. For a state as sparsely populated as WV, they have some of the best roads in the nation, "Interstates" of course.:seasix:

snide 03-19-2021 6:54pm

I79 through West Virginia is one of my favorite roads. I've been on the turnpike once or twice, and it is a nice road.

Broken Wind 03-20-2021 7:06am

I grew up in WV. In those days (60s), the turnpike was a twisty, two-lane road famous for its bumpiness and horrific tractor-trailer crashes. We called it the WV washboard. A lot has changed since then.

09CTSV 03-20-2021 7:19am

I remember back in 04 coming thru WV on 64 for the interview in Indiana. It was snowing, windy and pretty crappy roads. I was following a semi which changed lanes suddenly coming up the side of a mountain. Next thing I knew I was in the same lane behind him and hadn't turned the wheel. About a mile down the road the toll road started, road plowed, salt out and traffic flowing smoothly. It was a line drawn in the road for toll road maintenance and regular I64 maintenance.
Both the trucker and I stopped at a rest stop and I told him I thought it was strange how he changed lanes until my car did the same thing. He said he had been driving for 25 years and had never had the wind push the rig a full lane change without even a little wiggle. Scared the hell out of both of us.

outrunm 03-20-2021 7:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1867485)
I79 through West Virginia is one of my favorite roads. I've been on the turnpike once or twice, and it is a nice road.

That's the road I was supposed to be on, but somehow I missed it and stayed on 77. Probably added an hour or 2 overall on the trip. (Tampa to Buffalo)

Torqaholic 03-20-2021 7:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1867364)
I prefer to drive it at night when roads are empty.

Except for the deer. Last time I rode through I saw more deer than cars. Got the impression it was the only flat piece of ground in the state.

MadInNc 03-20-2021 8:12am

Was on it early December during a blizzard, while pulling a trailer. It sucked :yesnod:

allthrottleandsomebottle 03-20-2021 7:00pm

True story, coming back from a CI, I was enjoying that road.....:dance:
Near the end I got pulled by a WV trooper. Said he got reports of a yellow vette with black stripes haullin ass........I told him couldn't be the only one with that type car:D after a good chat, he reminded the ex to keep telling me to watch my speed like she was suppose to and gave me a warning ticket....best $$$ toll I spent in a while:yesnod: