The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dumb idea? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119719)

Grey Ghost 07-06-2019 8:41pm

Dumb idea?

I bought a S10 4.3 new in 1997. A few years ago I heard a rod knock sound and parked it. It will still start and move, etc...but, the knock is still there. I've been kicking around the idea of removing the motor and JUST replacing the main and rod bearings and having the crank turned. That's it. No head work, cam, rings, cylinder, pistons, etc...just the bearings. It's not an easy removal from the YT vids that I have watched. I have pulled motors from old classic cars easily before. This is a different animal with the A/C, cramped engine bay, etc...I don't know who or how it would cost to rebuild the entire motor. I know the ballpark price for a reman. It has around 220k on it.

Would it be foolish to go to all that effort just to replace bearings in hope of making it reliable again?

I don't see many S10's on the road these days. I think they still look cool and serve a good purpose as a small truck with a torque little motor in a small package.

JRD77VET 07-06-2019 8:48pm

Can you find a low mileage 4.3L?

Your idea will work but you'd just be "moving" the weakest link :yesnod:

Grey Ghost 07-06-2019 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1675590)
Can you find a low mileage 4.3L?

Your idea will work but you'd just be "moving" the weakest link :yesnod:

Haven't looked...used motors have always worried me about truth of mileage, condition, etc...

boracayjohnny 07-06-2019 10:33pm

Since it's just been setting, what about all the parts that have degraded. Tires for sure and what about all the other rubber bushings and even the gaskets.

Aerovette 07-07-2019 8:02am

Growing up "po" that's the way it was done. Replace the minimum. Fix what's broken.

Having moved up to regular "poor", I'd go ahead and get an off the shelf rebuild from a "quickie" shop and give yours as a core.

Baller answer - LS engine swap. :D

Strats-N-Vettes 07-07-2019 8:22am

At 220k miles?...all the trouble of just doing crank work?

Pull the motor and don't be foolish.
Decide-----> rebuild/re-man/LS swap

09CTSV 07-07-2019 9:57am

About $3200 thru Jasper motors for a 4.3 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Bill 07-07-2019 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1675620)
About $3200 thru Jasper motors for a 4.3 with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.

How much is a 22 year old S-10 going to be worth, even with a new/rebuilt motor?

markids77 07-07-2019 1:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1675623)
How much is a 22 year old S-10 going to be worth, even with a new/rebuilt motor?

That depends entirely on what the truck means to the OP. Heirloom or other history can make any object priceless, and worth the investment.

markids77 07-07-2019 1:32pm

ATK long block from Jeg's $1553 with free freight. Listing says 1987-1991... carbureted VS throttle body???

Grey Ghost 07-07-2019 8:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1675599)
Since it's just been setting, what about all the parts that have degraded. Tires for sure and what about all the other rubber bushings and even the gaskets.

Yep, it really needs EVERYTHING at that mileage. The A/C quit, steering got sloppy (idler arm), I changed brake pads, but never had rotors surfaced. Others I know that is about the mileage the transmission also gives up ($3k)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1675614)
Growing up "po" that's the way it was done. Replace the minimum. Fix what's broken.

Having moved up to regular "poor", I'd go ahead and get an off the shelf rebuild from a "quickie" shop and give yours as a core.

Baller answer - LS engine swap. :D

Hmm....I'll have google LS in a S10. I know it's popular with full size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1675616)
At 220k miles?...all the trouble of just doing crank work?

Pull the motor and don't be foolish.
Decide-----> rebuild/re-man/LS swap

Yep, probably would blow a head gasket after all that. I was just thinking of something that I would be comfortable doing. I haven't rebuilt a motor in 30 years...and that was under supervision from a ASE mechanic. I understand everything that needs done. Just afraid of screwing something up being a one man show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1675623)

Sentimental. I always enjoyed driving it. They were great trucks. Small, good power, driving, etc...for one person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1675629)
That depends entirely on what the truck means to the OP. Heirloom or other history can make any object priceless, and worth the investment.

Yep. Just always enjoyed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1675630)
ATK long block from Jeg's $1553 with free freight. Listing says 1987-1991... carbureted VS throttle body???

1997, throttle body. There even seems to be a difference depending on the VIN for that year(s). Maybe something to do with the computer? The shops I got a quote from wanted the VIN. I can't remember...maybe some with a 'W' or something in the VIN were different.

markids77 07-08-2019 6:49pm

It seems there are pre roller lifter engines, roller motors and mixed metric or all metric construction. Lots of choices out there at wildly variable pricing.