The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Thinking of getting one of those metal detectors (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136108)

04 commemorative 01-30-2024 1:34pm

Thinking of getting one of those metal detectors

to use on the beach....anyone have and use them ? Would like some input if so.:seasix:

Tikiman 01-30-2024 1:48pm

2 Attachment(s)
I have this one. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack. Have had it for years with no issues. Also have a Garrett waterproof pin pointer. Useful for narrowing down where the signal is coming from. If you plan to use it at the beach, get a unit designed particularly for beach searching.

I have a friend coming over on Friday to do some relic hunting with me. Hope the weather holds.

KenHorse 01-30-2024 1:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2210263)
I have this one. Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack. Have had it for years with no issues. Also have a Garrett waterproof pin pointer. Useful for narrowing down where the signal is coming from. If you plan to use it at the beach, get a unit designed particularly for beach searching.

I have a friend coming over on Friday to do some relic hunting with me. Hope the weather holds.

Does it miss Iron Maiden CDs?

Bill 01-30-2024 1:59pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2210265)

Box set, y'all!

:fastguy:

Don Rickles 01-30-2024 2:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2210263)

Me too!!!

I have swept this old property a bit! I’m really great at finding metal! lol aluminum can tabs and bits of rusted metal!

Found a dime….. once!

It is quite the time waster meaning it takes a lot of time! I struggle learning the sounds of the tones. Beep beep means dig to me! Then the pointer as Tiki shows!

Bill 01-30-2024 2:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2210275)
Me too!!!

I have swept this old property a bit! I’m really great at finding metal! lol aluminum can tabs and bits of rusted metal!

Found a dime….. once!

It is quite the time waster meaning it takes a lot of time! I struggle learning the sounds of the tones. Beep beep means dig to me! Then the pointer as Tiki shows!

~stopped on a dime

~picked it up

:hide:

:leaving:

:D

Tikiman 01-30-2024 2:07pm

Quote:

Me too!!!

Found a dime….. once!

My farm is on civil war grounds. There was a Confederate hospital on the property next to mine. I have an old, unmarked graveyard on top of a hill. The river, which is one of my property lines, was used to ferry troops and munitions during the war. A large, drawn out battle was fought at a ford about a mile and a half upstream from me. Lots of history around here.

Louie Detroit 01-30-2024 2:07pm

Check out this site: https://www.treasurenet.com for more info, I've been a member there for a while.

Please realize the gubmint has been cracking down on public site treasure hunting the last few years, and it is forbidden on many beaches now.

Research any lost gold carrying ships in the New Jersey area, you never know when the next hurricane temporarily shifts around some beach sand and exposes a little honey in the general vicinity for a quick minute.

DJ_Critterus 01-30-2024 2:13pm

Quote:

Me too!!!

Found a dime….. once!

I'm great at finding old nails on my parents' property, but I use my truck tires to find those :yesnod:

Don Rickles 01-30-2024 2:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2210281)
My farm is on civil war grounds. There was a Confederate hospital on the property next to mine. I have an old, unmarked graveyard on top of a hill. The river, which is one of my property lines, was used to ferry troops and munitions during the war. A large, drawn out battle was fought at a ford about a mile and a half upstream from me. Lots of history around here.

You’ve heard of Washington crossing the Delaware. We live just up river in site. Our house they say was here since 1721. Talk about the chances of turning up something is high. There’s a wooded area in our rear property that was open fields. I’m told to sweep the woods but haven’t yet.

Heck, the shit I find lying around my yard, I’ve seen in museums in Dallas! Lol

KenHorse 01-30-2024 2:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2210291)
You’ve heard of Washington crossing the Delaware. We live just up river in site. Our house they say was here since 1721. Talk about the chances of turning up something is high. There’s a wooded area in our rear property that was open fields. I’m told to sweep the woods but haven’t yet.

Heck, the shit I find lying around my yard, I’ve seen in museums in Dallas! Lol

Beats the hell out of being on the Schuylkill

Taurus 01-30-2024 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikiman (Post 2210281)

That would be so interesting, I would spend time doing that was well. I loved the history of where we lived in Virginia and Tennessee.

vettemed 01-30-2024 2:30pm

I've got a Minelab Equinox, used it for beach hunting for a while, mostly just junk pocket change but occasionally some cheap jewelry.

I moved away from the beach so it doesn't get used much these days, might be interested in selling it.

99 pewtercoupe 01-30-2024 2:43pm

The company I retired from has a plant in Petersburg VA. The building lobby has multiple display cases of Civil War relics that have been discovered on the property.

Don Rickles 01-30-2024 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2210303)
I've got a Minelab Equinox, used it for beach hunting for a while, mostly just junk pocket change but occasionally some cheap jewelry.

I moved away from the beach so it doesn't get used much these days, might be interested in selling it.

OP is your buyer! :D

Louie Detroit 01-30-2024 2:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2210303)

https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab.183/

ZipZap 01-30-2024 2:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2210265)

Oh snap! This would make a great meme. Metal Detector vs. Iron Maiden CD. None detected!:rofl::rofl:

Dan47 01-30-2024 5:22pm

I have several, my favorite being the minelab ctx 3030. Took the last couple of seasons off to focus on other matters but I’ve accumulated a very large amount of treasure, over the years.

I wouldn’t recommend buying the most expensive detector nor the cheapest, not until you find out if you like it and you won’t if you buy the cheapest.

snide 01-30-2024 7:32pm

@BOTY

slewfoot 01-30-2024 7:39pm

Quote:

Me too!!!

Found a dime….. once!

A Jew walking around with a metal detector. That's really rich! :rofl: If I got one of those for my wife, she would wrap it around my neck.