The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   1967 Rear Leaf spring (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134710)

StudleyJames 11-03-2023 2:17pm

1967 Rear Leaf spring (replaced)

My 67 L68 rear (original) leaf sping looks brand new (cleaned, new pads, and painted gray).

I have had to purchase new non stock strut rod bolts (5" lg) for the car sit level

My qustion is:
This winter I will be removing the diff and trans, should I have the main leaf of spring re-curved? It looks almost flat when the car sits on the ground, has some arch but not much
Do not want to go fiberglass

roadpilot 11-03-2023 2:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StudleyJames (Post 2163555)
My 67 L68 rear (original) leaf sping looks brand new (cleaned, new pads, and painted gray).

I have had to purchase new non stock strut rod bolts (5" lg) for the car sit level

My qustion is:
This winter I will be removing the diff and trans, should I have the main leaf of spring re-curved? It looks almost flat when the car sits on the ground, has some arch but not much
Do not want to go fiberglass

Mine has a liitle bow but not much. My BB rides good. How does your car
ride? I would leave your springs alone ,if the ride is good.

StudleyJames 11-03-2023 2:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadpilot (Post 2163569)
Mine has a liitle bow but not much. My BB rides good. How does your car
ride? I would leave your springs alone ,if the ride is good.

The ride is good, but the bolts look funny being so short

roadpilot 11-03-2023 4:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StudleyJames (Post 2163573)
The ride is good, but the bolts look funny being so short

Run longer bolts ,if you are worried.

StudleyJames 11-06-2023 9:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadpilot (Post 2163625)
Run longer bolts ,if you are worried.

I put shorter bolts in so the car would sit level, how is putting longer bolts back in going solve anything?

My question was should I have the spring re curved or buy a new one (non fiberglass)

roadpilot 11-06-2023 3:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by StudleyJames (Post 2164705)
I put shorter bolts in so the car would sit level, how is putting longer bolts back in going solve anything?

My question was should I have the spring re curved or buy a new one (non fiberglass)

You felt uneasy with short bolts. My suggestion run longer bolts for
peace of mind. No I dont see the need to recurve the spring. Short or long as
long as you have enough bolt thread to level your car, you are ok.

AUTOHOLIC 11-06-2023 3:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadpilot (Post 2164952)
You felt uneasy with short bolts. My suggestion run longer bolts for
peace of mind. No I dont see the need to recurve the spring. Short or long as
long as you have enough bolt thread to level your car, you are ok.

:iagree:

StudleyJames 11-06-2023 3:52pm

You guys are missing my point, with stock length bolts the car "squats" so I put in 5" long grade 8 bolts and now the car sits level. I replace the bushing also.

The spring "looks fine" but something has to be wrong where the stock length bolts won't work.

My guess the spring is weak, so should I have it re "curved"? or buy new?
(its the original BB spring with 45,000 miles on it)

AUTOHOLIC 11-06-2023 6:02pm

Just buy a new one. Local spring shops should have the original specs

Frankie the Fink 11-24-2023 5:29pm

1 Attachment(s)
If you are convinced you need a new spring look into Eaton Springs - and be leery of re'arching, it is a big deal....it requires heat and annealing the springs and ain't cheap if done right. Personally, if you have the car sitting level I'd leave it be; read the attachment for the process of re-arching.

StudleyJames 05-03-2024 8:45am

Update: I purchased a spring from Eaton (was a pain in the butt to disassemble and paint gray) car now sits perfectly level with the correct length trailing arm bolts with castle nuts, ride is smooth.

Only grip is I had to re use my other spring's liners because the one on the new Eaton spring did not stick out enough

Question, I removed the two outer bands (when I took the spring apart for painting). Do I re install them or toss them? my other spring did not have them