The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Check those header bolts (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4121)

Sneaks 11-11-2010 7:53pm

Check those header bolts

Developed a slight exhaust leak the other night, of course it was on the drivers side. I was like WTF? Those factory metal gaskets NEVER leak. Ugh! :banghead:
So today I stopped off at Autozone and picked up a set of metal Fel-pro gaskets to fix the leak, because it's going to be a sweet weekend for cruising. I figured I would just change out the drivers side, call Gene Culley and order some new factory gaskets, and replace it once the Fel-pros failed.
Pulled the FRC, and plug wires off, took the AIR tube apart and off, and started unbolting the header. When I got to the last one toward the firewall(you guys know, the ***** bolt) I could almost turn it with my fingers. That sucker had worked its way loose. My dumb arse might not have torqued it down tight enough when I put the haders on, or it just worked its way loose. :mad:
So I tightenend it down, put the other bolts back in, put the plug wires back on, re-connected the AIR system, and fired it up. Leak fixed!
Moral of the story: Make sure to check your header bolts twice if you want to save yourself some time, money, and frustration. :D
:cheers:

Garb55 11-11-2010 8:00pm

Little More Nos and you might just loosen up the Passengers Side next!:drivingskid:

Sneaks 11-11-2010 9:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garb55 (Post 49555)
Little More Nos and you might just loosen up the Passengers Side next!:drivingskid:

Nope, checked those while I was under the hood. :thumbs:

Garb55 11-11-2010 9:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 49571)
Nope, checked those while I was under the hood. :thumbs:

Good Call

WKMCD 11-12-2010 6:23am

Good catch. :seeya:

Always make sure the gaskets you use have circular and not D shaped openings when using headers.

Just my $.02

Sneaks 11-12-2010 7:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 49583)
Good catch. :seeya:

Always make sure the gaskets you use have circular and not D shaped openings when using headers.

Just my $.02

And never use anything other than metal gaskets. :thumbs:
I don't know how people would even consider D shaped gaskets. Those are the same people who try to put that square peg in the round hole I think. :banghead:
:lol:

Munch 11-12-2010 5:25pm

Congrats on the easy fix. :cheers:

Is the torque for the header bolts the same as for the stock manifolds?

Sneaks 11-13-2010 7:58am

Yes, but don't even think you're going to get a torque wrench on header bolts. AInt happenin'. :nono:
Crank them down good and snug. :thumbs:

Z06Joe 11-22-2010 8:01am

See.... that's why I don't drive mine.... too much **** can go wrong... Jus say'n!!!

Sneaks 11-22-2010 9:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z06Joe (Post 50299)
See.... that's why I don't drive mine.... too much **** can go wrong... Jus say'n!!!

:slap: Get that thing out and drive it man! :D