The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What's with motorcyclists.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9658)

...Whitepower... 03-06-2011 7:34pm

What's with motorcyclists....

That roll around 24/7 with their high beam on blinding the shit out of everyone else on the road (day and night)?:slap:

Mrs. Colleen 03-06-2011 7:35pm

Anything to help get noticed...

BTW - I don't ride the high beams on my new bike because they are plenty bright without but on my FZR I always had them on because the low beams were so dim.

Uncle Pervey 03-06-2011 7:41pm

I believe it is some sort of Federal safety regulations. Sort of like daytime running lights on cars. :leaving:

...Whitepower... 03-06-2011 7:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 178165)

BTW - I don't ride the high beams on my new bike because they are plenty bright without but on my FZR I always had them on because the low beams were so dim.

If a rider is that concerned about being noticed he/she shouldn't be riding..

Besides do they realize that by running their high beam all the time they are creating an even more dangerous situation by impairing/blinding on coming traffic? Theeir actions can and are having the opposite affect of what they intended..

Stupid IMO.

Giraffe (He/Him) 03-06-2011 7:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...Whitepower... (Post 178189)

Besides do they realize that by running their high beam all the time they are creating an even more dangerous situation by impairing/blinding on coming traffic? Theeir actions can and are having the opposite affect of what they intended..

Stupid IMO.

Not as stupid as your response, but close,,,,

Mrs. Colleen 03-06-2011 7:54pm

Quote:

Stupid IMO.

Every rider should be concerned with being noticed. :willy:

Plus, IIFC, they teach you in the MSF course to ride with your brights on during the day. :cheers:

...Whitepower... 03-06-2011 7:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen (Post 178165)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 178192)

My wifes vision sucks at night. She was one of the first people I know to have lasik. As a result of her surgery she sees halos at night when there are really bright lights..

Some jerk off coming around a corner way too fast almost became a hood ornament tonight because he had his high beam on.

Btw I almost always drive us around at night but I had a few drinks.

Mrs. Colleen 03-06-2011 7:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...Whitepower... (Post 178201)
My wifes vision sucks at night. She was one of the first people I know to have lasik. As a result of her surgery she sees halos at night when there are really bright lights..

Some jerk off coming around a corner way too fast almost became a hood ornament tonight because he had his high beam on.

Riding around with them at night when others are around is unnecessary. :yesnod:

JRD77VET 03-06-2011 8:03pm

Quote:

Stupid IMO.

I ride with my high beams on except when I have on coming traffic at night. I'm tired of "cagers" not seeing me.

Quote:

:iagree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...Whitepower... (Post 178201)

Sorry about your wife's vision problems. Maybe you want to see about getting the newer style of brighter lights done away with on the cars too. :toetap:

In regards to the highbeams being on during the day, I went to an advanced riders seminar two weeks ago. ( part of the MSF ) One of the persons taking the class was a PA State Trooper. He said it is HIGHLY recommended for ALL motorcyclists to ride with their highbeams on during the day.

Kerrmudgeon 03-06-2011 8:04pm

Basically, modern bike headlights are brighter than they used to be, and, with every shift under power the front end tends to rise up, so it may look like high beams flashing but it's not. Anything that helps us get noticed and live longer is great by me. Please remember that. Your slight irritation may save out life! :thumbs:

Kerrmudgeon 03-06-2011 8:09pm

Quote:

right on the money!

....Perhaps your wife should wear some sort of glare reducing glasses at night, for everyone's safety!

VatorMan 03-06-2011 8:11pm

I've switched to HID on the Harley. I've noticed that people actually look at me since changing. You think my headlight is bright? You ought to see my taillight. :lol: If you have epilepsy it will give you a seizure.

LATB 03-06-2011 8:26pm

Quote:

If a rider is that concerned about being noticed he/she shouldn't be riding...

It's for folks like this...that there needs to be rider awareness programs.

...Whitepower... 03-06-2011 8:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach (Post 178259)
It's for folks like this...that there needs to be rider awareness programs.

Good luck with trying to force that one on the masses.. :rofl:

If you choose to ride you should accept the risks that come along with doing so plain and simple.

JRD77VET 03-06-2011 8:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...Whitepower... (Post 178287)

If you choose to ride you should accept the risks that come along with doing so plain and simple.

By the same line of reasoning, if your wife can't see well at night, she shouldn't drive.

...Whitepower... 03-06-2011 8:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 178289)
By the same line of reasoning, if your wife can't see well at night, she shouldn't drive.

I agree, she knows it, and she rarley does.. The only reason why she drove tonight was because i had a couple of drinks at dinner where as she didn't. As a result I had her drive and she never drives my car.

mrvette 03-06-2011 8:53pm

ALL of the above are very true, and so I chose not to buy a Harley years ago....shame really, looking back, for other reasons...but the danger on the roads is what stopped me.....

yeh, I could control the bike ok, no sweat, but it's that blind driver not seeing me because they don't put proper R/V mirrors on vehicles as standard equipment so the driving populace can get USED to them...FORCED to....

is what stopped me....

Bubble mirrors, and LEARN...LOOK.....

Coleen, love you kid, but watch your ass there, hubby also......bikes are FUN and my empathy with your love there, hope it don't turn into sympathy....same thing I told my kids your age group...later 20's?

:slap::cheers:

LATB 03-06-2011 9:02pm

Quote:

no one is trying to force anything. however there are such programs...

seems folks like you are who they are trying to reach.

Quote:

most all who ride do. but a driving public who is aware of motorcyclists...benefits all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 178289)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...Whitepower... (Post 178299)
I agree, she knows it, and she rarley does.. The only reason why she drove tonight was because i had a couple of drinks at dinner where as she didn't. As a result I had her drive and she never drives my car.

so...

two adults available to operate the vehicle...one is alcohol impaired...the other has night vision issues while driving...

but you want to put the burden of safe vehicle operation on the motorcyclists. :rofl:

DJ_Critterus 03-06-2011 9:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pervey (Post 178172)
I believe it is some sort of Federal safety regulations. Sort of like daytime running lights on cars. :leaving:

Yes, but the high beams should only be used at night in the same manner they are used on cars... poorly lit areas with no on-coming traffic.

The headlight being left on all the time is a standard feature.

...Whitepower... 03-06-2011 9:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach (Post 178318)
two adults available to operate the vehicle...one is alcohol impaired...the other has night vision issues while driving...

but you want to put the burden of safe vehicle operation on the motorcyclists. :rofl:

Yup..