The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Kid across street....buying a clapped out..... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123687)

mrvette 09-22-2020 3:21pm

Kid across street....buying a clapped out.....
 
POS car, so he actually buys it, and so to take it to a shop for engine rebuild....engine is in car now, ready to go, and it's not starting......so some electrical crap now......

I feel sorry for folks who know nothing about elecTRICK crap mutch less than basic mechanics.......and with no tools too boot.....

HOW in hell can a kid in early 20's survive these daze.....??? need wheels to go anywhere, do anything,

I remember some 50 years+ ago fighting the same sort of shit, and too boot my folks moved 15 miles from the nearest food store......6 miles to a gas station.....and me trying to keep wheels running, and INsurance, and I got lucky and moved to Tejas with a buddy, and back when....TEJAS did not require auto insurance.....so I used my buddy's address for tag renewal for some years.....

try that shit today.....poor kids,

Rodnok1 09-22-2020 4:50pm

Back in the day, rebuilding a carb and doing brakes would keep alot of cars running.. Now need a computer to read codes let alone diagnose what's wrong. Insurance for under 21 here is ludicrously expensive. Hell try and get one new tire mounted and balanced they wanted almost 200 for a shit tire.

Steve_R 09-22-2020 5:00pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1807982)
POS car, so he actually buys it, and so to take it to a shop for engine rebuild....engine is in car now, ready to go, and it's not starting......so some electrical crap now......

I feel sorry for folks who know nothing about elecTRICK crap mutch less than basic mechanics.......and with no tools too boot.....

HOW in hell can a kid in early 20's survive these daze.....??? need wheels to go anywhere, do anything,

I remember some 50 years+ ago fighting the same sort of shit, and too boot my folks moved 15 miles from the nearest food store......6 miles to a gas station.....and me trying to keep wheels running, and INsurance, and I got lucky and moved to Tejas with a buddy, and back when....TEJAS did not require auto insurance.....so I used my buddy's address for tag renewal for some years.....

try that shit today.....poor kids,

.

Grey Ghost 09-22-2020 5:11pm

It was simple on old cars. Power at coil? Trace from there. Points cleaned? Getting gas? Getting fire at plugs? Easy stuff in the old days.

The_Dude 09-22-2020 5:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1808001)
It was simple on old cars. Power at coil? Trace from there. Points cleaned? Getting gas? Getting fire at plugs? Easy stuff in the old days.

air cooled VWs taught me how to work on cars. Talk about simple.

mrvette 09-22-2020 6:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1808007)
air cooled VWs taught me how to work on cars. Talk about simple.

My sister had one of them....talk about a POS....made that WW2 Generals' Jeep I drove on a farm, seem easy to drive .....

The_Dude 09-22-2020 7:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1808015)
My sister had one of them....talk about a POS....made that WW2 Generals' Jeep I drove on a farm, seem easy to drive .....

'30s era technology, that got updated very little until they quit making them. :yesnod:

Rikki Z-06 09-22-2020 8:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1808033)
'30s era technology, that got updated very little until they quit making them. :yesnod:

Never worked on one, but couldn't the engine be removed in like a 1/2 hour? :cert:

Wathen1955 09-22-2020 10:55pm

That was my first car: 1967 VW Bug. Takes about 45 minutes to pull the motor out by yourself. Engine rebuild was easy and so was the clutch replacement. It was the easiest car to work on, and very reliable.

73sbVert 09-23-2020 3:09pm

1 Attachment(s)
I had a '65 then '69 Bugs, this kept my sanity and my car running forever!

The_Dude 09-23-2020 3:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73sbVert (Post 1808165)
I had a '65 then '69 Bugs, this kept my sanity and my car running forever!

I read that thing cover to cover. :yesnod:

Murray 09-23-2020 4:26pm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 47557

Rikki Z-06 09-23-2020 6:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 1808197)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The_Dude 09-23-2020 6:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 1808197)

Not even I have owned one of those.

Anjdog2003 09-23-2020 7:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1808171)
I read that thing cover to cover. :yesnod:






People that need to get a life forum----------------------->

ZipZap 09-23-2020 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1808007)
air cooled VWs taught me how to work on cars. Talk about simple.

Solex carbs. F them and the horse they rode in on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:50pm.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2021 The Vette Barn