The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Case To Go Before Grand Jury (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71009)

ApexOversteer 09-16-2014 8:34pm

Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Case To Go Before Grand Jury

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESPN

A grand jury will decide whether NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will be charged in the August death of Kevin Ward Jr., a fellow driver at a sprint car race in upstate New York, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo said he made the decision to present the case to a grand jury after reviewing evidence collected by county sheriff's investigators.

Tantillo could have determined there was not enough evidence to support charges and dropped the case, but instead announced his decision more than a month after Stewart's car struck and killed Ward at a dirt-track race on Aug. 9.

In a statement, Stewart said he respects the time and effort authorities have spent "investigating this tragic accident."

"I look forward to this process being completed, and I will continue to provide my full cooperation," he said.

Stewart spent three weeks in seclusion before returning for the final two races of the Sprint Cup season. He did not make the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship field, and finished 18th in the first Chase race Sunday at Chicagoland.

Stewart still will compete in this weekend's Sprint Cup race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Stewart-Haas Racing said.

Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero spent weeks investigating the accident at the small track in Canandaigua, several times saying investigators did not have any evidence to support criminal intent by Stewart. Ward had spun while racing alongside Stewart and then the 20-year-old climbed out of his car and walked down the track, waving his arms in an apparent attempt to confront the 43-year-old NASCAR veteran.

"Upon my review of all of the information contained in the entire investigation," Tantillo said, "I have made the determination that it would be appropriate to submit the evidence to the grand jury for their determination as to what action should be taken in this matter."

He said the law prevented him from saying when the case would be scheduled or who would be called as witnesses.

The sheriff asked in the days after Ward's death for spectators to turn over photos and videos of the crash as investigators worked to reconstruct the accident. Among the things being looked at were the dim lighting, how muddy it was and whether Ward's dark firesuit played a role in his death, given the conditions.

After Ward's death, NASCAR announced a rule that prohibits drivers from climbing out of a crashed or disabled vehicle -- unless it is on fire -- until safety personnel arrive.

Stewart, who has 48 career Cup wins in 542 starts, is one of the biggest stars in the garage. From the small town of Columbus, Indiana, he has long been one of the most proficient drivers in racing, winning in every kind of series, from sprint cars to the elite Sprint Cup Series. He has for years taken part in little races in nondescript towns because he loves the thrill of the high horsepower, lightweight cars skidding around the dirt.

He rarely made his schedule public, popping up when he pleased, and he was welcome at the clay track at Canandaigua Motorsports Park the night before the NASCAR race in nearby Watkins Glen. Instead, tragedy struck.

NASCAR spokesman Brett Jewkes said the series was closely following the case.

"We are aware of the completed investigation and the announced next steps," he said. "We will monitor this process and stay in close contact with Stewart-Haas Racing. It would be inappropriate for NASCAR to comment on this case so we will continue to respect the process and authorities involved."

I wonder what evidence the sheriff has, that changed his tune.

RED-85-Z51 09-16-2014 8:40pm

They are really being dicks about this. The kid made a life ending decision to hurl his fragile body at a 2500lb race car at night, on a muddy dirt track...and it got him killed....now leave Tony alone.

Dave 09-16-2014 8:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexOversteer (Post 1241993)
I wonder what evidence the sheriff has, that changed his tune.

I think the evidence is spelled CYA in this case

JRD77VET 09-16-2014 8:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 1242007)

:yesnod: :iagree:

ApexOversteer 09-16-2014 8:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 1242007)

I have a feeling you're right.

Grey Ghost 09-16-2014 8:55pm

I think he is innocent. But forever damaged goods with any corporate sponsor. Next year will be interesting.

RED-85-Z51 09-16-2014 8:55pm

"We have reviewed the evidence over and ove,r for over a month now..and cannot find anything that hints at malicious intent...we cant find him guilty, so lets see if someoen else can find him guilty"

Black94lt1 09-17-2014 3:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1242012)
I think he is innocent. But forever damaged goods with any corporate sponsor. Next year will be interesting.

I wonder if we might see Tony as owner only next year, no driving as you're correct, the sponsor issue may be huge. Another option would be Kurt with Tony's sponsors and Tony with the Haas sponsorship

island14 09-17-2014 4:13am

CYA? :island14:

Kerrmudgeon 09-17-2014 4:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1242057)

:bilmem:....:toetap:....damn short forms for everything! :mad:

Y2Kvert4me 09-17-2014 4:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1242057)

Cover Your Ass.

In other words, if the DA's not making the decision, he can't face any backlash that may result.

stingraymyway 09-17-2014 4:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 (Post 1242002)
They are really being dicks about this. The kid made a life ending decision to hurl his fragile body at a 2500lb race car at night, on a muddy dirt track...and it got him killed....now leave Tony alone.

:iagree:
If the kid wouldn't have run out onto the track, he'd be here today.

island14 09-17-2014 5:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 1242062)
Cover Your Ass.

In other words, if the DA's not making the decision, he can't face any backlash that may result.

That was my thought also as to why they are doing it..

But for some reason could not figure out what CYA meant..

Even if they were to charge him.. making a case would be really hard to prove, other than possibly a civil action.

island14 09-17-2014 5:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 (Post 1242002)

But wonder what made you change your mind from your first post below in the other thread about this? :island14:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 (Post 1222942)
And that will be the.end of his racing career...promise you.

Prayers for the family of the murdered driver.

Hoog 09-17-2014 6:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1242068)

But wonder what made you change your mind from your first post below in the other thread about this? :island14:

He thinks he'll catch more fish with a new hook...

Malicious intent or just negligence, Tony contributed to that kids death. Whether his actions rose to the level of a criminal act....I'll wait for the people that have all of the evidence infront of them to decide.

I think what will sink him will be the fact he blipped the throttle as he went by Ward.

island14 09-17-2014 7:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoog (Post 1242089)
He thinks he'll catch more fish with a new hook...

Malicious intent or just negligence, Tony contributed to that kids death. Whether his actions rose to the level of a criminal act....I'll wait for the people that have all of the evidence infront of them to decide.

I think what will sink him will be the fact he blipped the throttle as he went by Ward.

The throttle on those cars is very soft, and just from the video, even in slow motion, it appears to me that his foot tapped the throttle from the bump of going over him..

At idle, even a small 1/4 inch movement on the throttle makes a huge jump of RPM from the blip.... :yesnod:

Back when I was racing, I use to adjust my linkage with a longer throw on purpose to slow it down a bit to help me be smoother on throttle off the corners... where some other guys might just prefer it quick.
(or never even thought about it)

When I put myself in Stewart's shoes that night, and ask what would I have done different?

Possibly turned down away from him a little sooner, but who would have expected the other guy to keep coming right into the car?

I betcha if Tony had driven all the way down into the infield grass, that boy would have ran down there also. :yesnod:

But that's just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

:cert:

Hoog 09-17-2014 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1242102)
The throttle on those cars is very soft, and just from the video, even in slow motion, it appears to me that his foot tapped the throttle from the bump of going over him..

Watch the video again...the engine rpm comes up when Ward is still 10 feet in front of the car.

onedef92 09-17-2014 11:21am

other than possibly a civil action.

And I'm sure that's pending, too.

RED-85-Z51 09-17-2014 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by island14 (Post 1242068)

That was before the unedited video was made available. Once i saw the video, it was clear beyond the shadow of a doubt, tony was a victim of circumstances.

1911fool 09-17-2014 1:38pm

If he is no-billed by the grand jury can he still be found culpable in a civil trial?

If no, then that may be why they are doing this. If yes, then they may have some damning evidence. But I'm being a liberal here and talking out my ass.