The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A professional license to install a grab bar? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123713)

DAB 09-25-2020 3:17pm

A professional license to install a grab bar?

a few weeks ago, we visited my parents, and as part of my chores, i bought 5 sets of ADA grab bars and matching wall anchors, to install in various places in their house for Mom's benefit.

turns out, Mom has a long term care policy that will cover such things. cool. here are the receipts dad. oh wait, they'll pay for labor too. cool. 5 sets of bars, 30 minutes each, 2.5 hours at $40/hour = $100 for me. woot.

oh wait.....since we are dealing with an insurance company, they have forms and document requirements.....lovely.

fill out their forms, supply info they want (copy of my DL, my SS number), dad packs it all up and sends it in to get reimbursed.

and then today, they call dad, and want to know if I have a professional license?

like a handy man license? no..... any half competent person can follow written instructions that come with the grab bars and install them properly. only thing i have is an inactive Professional Engineering license (actually 2, one from MD, another from FL).

so now dad is checking to see what they require and what they will accept.

if i have to, i'll take a picture of my wall certificate and send that to them with a short note explaining how ridiculous this is so I can get $100.

would you care to buy a wooden bowl I made? i'll brand it, but it doesn't come with a fancy certificate. :slap: :DAB:

Cybercowboy 09-25-2020 3:40pm

I'm assuming you didn't use toggle bolts and attach directly to the sheet rock. Actually, you could just send them a picture of your various carpentry projects and say "If you think I could build this and not use the provided hardware to attach to solid wood, on a job that's for my very own parents, not sure what to tell ya."

Aerovette 09-25-2020 3:59pm

I'd forego their reimbursement, put them up on your own dime, and keep the .gov outcho bidness.

Rodnok1 09-25-2020 4:09pm

Most insurance companies won't reimburse for labor unless professional company.
They don't care if the company is a bunch of idiots just that they have a business.

DAB 09-25-2020 4:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1808779)
I'm assuming you didn't use toggle bolts and attach directly to the sheet rock. Actually, you could just send them a picture of your various carpentry projects and say "If you think I could build this and not use the provided hardware to attach to solid wood, on a job that's for my very own parents, not sure what to tell ya."

actually, i used Wing-Its anchors. rated for 600lb per set. that should hold up a 130lb mom.

MikeB 09-25-2020 5:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1808792)
actually, i used Wing-Its anchors. rated for 600lb per set. that should hold up a 130lb mom.

I put them in for my FIL.
2 bathrooms, and the doorway(2 bars,either side) into the house from the garage which has one step up.
Also added to posts near gates on the patio in 2 places. 7 total.
I was able to find studs in all locations to lag-bolt into.
FIL is gone now, but 92 y/o MIL is using them.
I think the old man gave me $50.00, 6 years ago.

snide 09-25-2020 8:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1808792)

[ZipZap]Pics of mom?[/ZipZap] :leaving:

DAB 09-25-2020 9:04pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1808885)
[ZipZap]Pics of mom?[/ZipZap] :leaving:

In her Caps sweater: