The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   So I had some fun in Bowling Green yesterday (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122985)

Loco Vette 07-04-2020 4:31pm

So I had some fun in Bowling Green yesterday

3 Attachment(s)
Got to drive a C8 in anger, nice beast.

Last C8 lap

Jeff '79 07-04-2020 4:33pm

Compare mid engine handling to.your other Vette experiences.
Different animal?
:drivingskid::cool1:

Loco Vette 07-04-2020 4:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1780331)
Compare mid engine handling to.your other Vette experiences.
Different animal?
:drivingskid::cool1:

Yes. Much "pointier".

INSANE grip coming off corners. Watch the G Meter, this was on street tires at 85+ degrees.

Some quirky things, brake by wire is kinda weird and the only part of the front of the car I can see from the driver's seat are the tops of the front fenders.

However, I swear I could turn a faster lap in that thing with 495 hp than I could in my 650 hp C7 ZO6.

Datawiz 07-04-2020 5:12pm

Jelly.

mrvette 07-04-2020 5:17pm

OK, so you have some 24" rims with say 28" outer/tread diameter tires....and some super suspension allowing rubber band tires.....just HOW in HELL is this an advance in over drive ability??

I can see 17-18" rims and 10 inches wide fine, enough sidewall flex to handle todays shitty roads and various curbs, speed bumps, etc.....

but just how do these cars with rubber band tires handle the everyday roads??

Datawiz 07-04-2020 5:17pm

That C5 was holding you back big time. Honestly boring that you couldn't turn that beast loose. You have the skills.

VetteBoy1979 07-04-2020 6:28pm

Damn, THIIC 🤣. Looks like a blast man! Can’t believe it’s been 3 years since I ripped around a full size track.

LilRedCorvette 07-04-2020 6:39pm

Saw that they have that event, planning on doing it in the future when I get the time :seasix:

Loco Vette 07-04-2020 7:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1780340)
OK, so you have some 24" rims with say 28" outer/tread diameter tires....and some super suspension allowing rubber band tires.....just HOW in HELL is this an advance in over drive ability??

I can see 17-18" rims and 10 inches wide fine, enough sidewall flex to handle todays shitty roads and various curbs, speed bumps, etc.....

Mid Engine is a major advancement. Also, the rubberband tires don't have anywhere near as much sidewall flex as the taller ones. That means it's harder to roll off the tread onto the sidewall. Grip like no one's business.

markids77 07-04-2020 7:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1780340)

The short sidewalls and soft rubber and stable tread patterns ride much harder than less aggressive rubber. They also make more road noise, can make the car darty on uneven surfaces unless the alignment is tailored to the tire, and they don't live very long even if not driven hard. And potholes and curbshots can destroy them as well. BUT they offer Spiderman like grip and short stopping distances; I like them well enough to put up with the quirks on my crowd plow. I did not hit the idiot who ran the red light last week in my lane because they stop so well.

VatorMan 07-04-2020 8:16pm

I’d love to have that thing here at greasy VIR. Hot track and nothing wants to stick

Loco Vette 07-05-2020 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1780341)
That C5 was holding you back big time. Honestly boring that you couldn't turn that beast loose. You have the skills.

YouTube link in case anyone couldn't get Hightail to work:

This was the C8 experience, anyone with a valid DL can plop down their money and saddle up. As a result they clamp down pretty hard. Lead/follow format, the C5 Z was the instructor. Every time he held me up it was to let the other guy in our group catch up.

snide 07-05-2020 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1780493)
YouTube link in case anyone couldn't get Hightail to work:

In case anyone couldn't get the Hightail link to work here is YouTube.

This was the C8 experience, anyone with a valid DL can plop down their money and saddle up. As a result they clamp down pretty hard. Lead/follow format, the C5 Z was the instructor. Every time he held me up it was to let the other guy in our group catch up.

Man, the C8 must be a real dog if you can't pass a lowly C5Z... :leaving:
Or, maybe the driver of the C5Z has more talent? :leaving: