The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   what do you mean you're out of pressure treated lumber? Stair replacement (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123833)

JRD77VET 10-11-2020 7:16pm

what do you mean you're out of pressure treated lumber? Stair replacement

4 Attachment(s)
Last Saturday tore into the steps and wall on the back of the house. Did as I normally do with projects, ripped out the damaged wood, make a list and go to the local lumber yard.

Get there with my list and find out they don't have ANY pressure treated lumber. :banghead: They've been out for a month and weren't sure when the next delivery was going to show up. Their wood warehouse is 150' x 300' and was pretty empty.

Since I ripped out the wooden wall next to the brick patio, it was "kind of important" to put something back in place. I had two P T 4 x 4 about 7' long and a quick call to my neighbor got me three more pieces. :hurray:

Yesterday morning I called the lumber yard again and they had a few 2 x 12 x 12'. I ran down and grabbed the best 12' they had ( $36 for ONE ). No 2 x 6's or 2 x 4's .

Neighbor Will laid out new stair stringers for me. I cut them out and put them up.

This morning I called Home Depot and they had 2 x 6 x 10' ( $12.67 each ) and 2 x 4 x 8' so I ran down there to get some lesser grade garbage. I also grabbed some stone for under the landing.

We now have steps and the landing again :dance:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
pics
1st Will laid out the stairs different than the originals so the wall side was one step short. I screwed in the stair cut drop for that step.

2nd Stair stringers in place

3rd granite chips for weed control under the landing next to the brick patio

4th Completed steps and landing. The other wood will be replaced next spring after prices stabilize.

MEANZ06 10-11-2020 7:23pm

Looks good! :seasix:

Old Ben 10-11-2020 7:26pm

Nice project. :seasix:

Rodnok1 10-11-2020 7:26pm

There's a nationwide shortage of lumber, the mills all cut back when kung flu started figuring a massive slow down of construction. Made sense... Well the slowdown never happened and actually construction is up and supply shortages started, windows, wood, pretty much everything. They said it would be November before supplies would return to normal... And hopefully prices come down. Lowes a couple weeks ago had zero PT wood except for a few large posts. They have some in stock now but prices are way up. I have wood fence to put up but it'll wait.

Jeff '79 10-11-2020 7:30pm

Good job :seasix:

Rikki Z-06 10-11-2020 7:33pm

Nice work :seasix:

JRD77VET 10-11-2020 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1812914)
There's a nationwide shortage of lumber, the mills all cut back when kung flu started figuring a massive slow down of construction. Made sense... Well the slowdown never happened and actually construction is up and supply shortages started, windows, wood, pretty much everything. They said it would be November before supplies would return to normal... And hopefully prices come down. Lowes a couple weeks ago had zero PT wood except for a few large posts. They have some in stock now but prices are way up. I have wood fence to put up but it'll wait.

My neighbor Will ( who laid out the stair stringers) said when they quote a job, the lumber price is for THAT DAY and subject to change. When they do decks, they get all material before starting the job.

I wanted to get all my lumber from the lumber yard since they only sell very good quality. At least the hard to get to pieces are the better quality lumber. The stair steps will be easy to replace

markids77 10-11-2020 7:39pm

We've been trying to buy a Kohler toilet to match the one we put in a recent remodel every weekend for a month now. No dice at ANY Savannah location as yet. We found today a Lowes in a town 30 miles from here has !2! in stock... guess where we're going after work tomorrow.

JRD77VET 10-11-2020 7:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1812919)
We've been trying to buy a Kohler toilet to match the one we put in a recent remodel every weekend for a month now. No dice at ANY Savannah location as yet. We found today a Lowes in a town 30 miles from here has !2! in stock... guess where we're going after work tomorrow.

I hope it's bought and paid for ( so nobody else gets it )

Lumber yard is 13 miles NW from my house and the Home Depot I went to is 23 miles SE.

Road trips to get supplies is standard now :issues:

markids77 10-11-2020 7:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1812922)
I hope it's bought and paid for ( so nobody else gets it )

Lumber yard is 13 miles NW from my house and the Home Depot I went to is 23 miles SE.

Road trips to get supplies is standard now :issues:

No although I suggested it to the wife. Our experience with the local big box stores precludes trusting their online inventories farther than I can throw this laptop.:slap:

z06psi 10-11-2020 7:47pm

Went to go get some treated 2x6x12 at a local lumber yard.

All gone and the wouldn't have any for a month.

Had to go to Augusta Lowes and there was slim pickens.

Rikki Z-06 10-11-2020 8:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1812925)
Went to go get some treated 2x6x12 at a local lumber yard.

All gone and the wouldn't have any for a month.

Had to go to Augusta Lowes and there was slim pickens.

Sux. :yesnod:

ratflinger 10-11-2020 8:50pm

Enough Lowes, HD & local yards around San Antonio to get what I need, have to look around for who has what though.

DAB 10-11-2020 9:43pm

In January a 2x4x8 was $2.50

Last month it was $4.55

:faint:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 10-12-2020 3:27am

Nice work! As always!:seasix:

simpleman68 10-12-2020 7:45am

Looks really nice Jeff! Sorry I didn't have any extra PT laying around other than the 4X4s.

I do have an azz ton of 4x8x18' doug fir though :D

Oh, and it was nice to see you last week :cert:
Scott

Jeff '79 10-12-2020 7:47am

so, are you gonna stain it now ? :leaving:

:D

JRD77VET 10-12-2020 6:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1812984)
Looks really nice Jeff! Sorry I didn't have any extra PT laying around other than the 4X4s.

I do have an azz ton of 4x8x18' doug fir though :D

Oh, and it was nice to see you last week :cert:
Scott

Good to see you too my friend. :cert:

JRD77VET 10-12-2020 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1812987)
so, are you gonna stain it now ? :leaving:

:D

Nope :nono:

Mary said she'll do it in the spring :yesnod: With the remnants of Delta dumping rain, the wood is pretty soaked right now and looks like Thursday the temps are dropping.

Mick 10-13-2020 12:34pm

I needed lumber to replace my deck railing about a month ago. Lowe's about 20 minutes from my house had what I needed. Of course, I still haven't finished the railing, but the lumber is here!