The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   This is what the Assoc. of American Physicians and Surgeons were saying... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122945)

Cybercowboy 06-30-2020 11:25am

This is what the Assoc. of American Physicians and Surgeons were saying...

about masks and COVID-19 less than one month ago. This is before wearing them became massively politicized. You can read the whole thing, but this is the gist of it:

Quote:

“Advice to decision makers on the use of masks for healthy people in community settings

As described above, the wide use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not supported by current evidence and carries uncertainties and critical risks.”
It's common sense, scientifically supported, and no Karen wearing that cute baklava does exactly nothing to save grandma.

thecornerman 06-30-2020 11:33am

Key word is "HEALTHY" unless you know for sure with 100% certainty that you are not asymptomatic your mask protects me and my family!
A face covering keeps one from spewing out germs, its up to us to not touch our orifices allowing germs to enter

Steve_R 06-30-2020 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1778526)
Key word is "HEALTHY" unless you know for sure with 100% certainty that you are not asymptomatic your mask protects me and my family!
A face covering keeps one from spewing out germs, its up to us to not touch our orifices allowing germs to enter

That must be why they say this:
Quote:

Cloth masks will be ineffective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, whether worn as source control or as personal protective equipment (PPE).
Notice they say they're "ineffective at preventing...transmission...worn as source control..." I guess you and others know more than the Docs. :seasix:

The_Dude 06-30-2020 12:05pm

doesn't matter.

thecornerman 06-30-2020 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1778537)
That must be why they say this:

Notice they say they're "ineffective at preventing...transmission...worn as source control..." I guess you and others know more than the Docs. :seasix:

Not sure who "they" is

Steve_R 06-30-2020 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1778552)
Not sure who "they" is

Didn't bother to read the linked report, huh? It's not that long. It's from the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons. That's who "they" are.

Here's a quote in the report from the New England Journal of Medicine, they're kinda smart and respected:
Quote:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.
You really should read it. Seriously. It's chock full of facts and has no politics or emotion. It completely debunks mask wearing as protective of the public.

Steve_R 06-30-2020 12:21pm

Another interesting fact from the report:
Quote:

Known patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 wore masks and coughed into a Petrie dish. Both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface.

Cybercowboy 06-30-2020 12:51pm

Smart people wear masks.

z06psi 06-30-2020 1:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1778593)

Be willing to bet she doesn't vote.

dvarapala 06-30-2020 1:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1778561)
Another interesting fact from the report:

Sit 6 feet away from the Petrie dish and repeat that experiment. ;)

snide 06-30-2020 1:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1778593)

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1778602)
Be willing to bet she doesn't vote.

I just hope that she doesn't breed.

Steve_R 06-30-2020 1:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1778604)
Sit 6 feet away from the Petrie dish and repeat that experiment. ;)

I didn't do the original one. It's published in a peer-reviewed journal if you care to read it - which I doubt you do. It's much easier to argue semantics and "common sense" than real facts. You've learned well from Doug. :seasix:

Mike Mercury 06-30-2020 1:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1778522)
It's common sense, scientifically supported

but... but, if this doesn't support the cults position, then these Physicians and Surgeons are:

racist
sexist
bigoted
homophobes

Aerovette 06-30-2020 1:49pm

Quote:

Ummm, no...they don't.

dvarapala 06-30-2020 2:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1778608)
I didn't do the original one. It's published in a peer-reviewed journal if you care to read it

And of course peer-reviewed studies are never wrong and never contradict each other...

Steve_R 06-30-2020 2:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1778639)
And of course peer-reviewed studies are never wrong and never contradict each other...

Of course that's possible. I typically read them before saying they're wrong. YMMV. :D

dvarapala 06-30-2020 2:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1778640)
Of course that's possible.

"Possible" is an understatement - it's an everyday occurrence. And not just WRT COVID-19. :yesnod:

How many people still believe that eating fat causes heart disease and that removing all the fat from our food and replacing it with sugar was a good thing for society? One look at the official "food pyramid" says it all.

bill_daniels 06-30-2020 2:23pm

Quote:

I'm touching my orifice right now! Pics on request.

DAB 06-30-2020 2:42pm

i wear one to keep the clerks and Karens of the world from yelling at me or kicking me out of the store.

MrPeabody 06-30-2020 2:54pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Physicians_and_Surgeons