The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A/C tensioner squeek (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81)

Sneaks 10-08-2009 9:45am

A/C tensioner squeek

Short version:
Replaced the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and threw a new gatorback belt on. New pulleys are aluminum. Now, I"m getting a squeek that sounds like metal on metal. Sprayed some WD40 around the retainer bolts and washers, squeek goes away, but comes back soon as the WD40 has disapated. Driving me up the dang wall! :banghead:
My thinking is that the retainer washers are rubbing against the aluminum pulleys and causing the noise. So, before I replace the entire tensioner unit, I thought I would throw it around here and get some opinions.
What say you guys?

Cobra4B 10-08-2009 11:25am

Weird... I went through all that a couple of years ago and replacing the tensioners did nothing. I got a Gatorback belt and it fixed it all. But I see you've allready done that.

DropTheTop 10-08-2009 12:12pm

Mine went away also after I installed both Gatorbacks. :confused5:

Sneaks 10-08-2009 8:12pm

New AC tensioner and all is well. Talk about a beoch to get on! :omg: Not a job for the un-limber individual. Took about an hour or so, and that's with the old one already taken off.
:takdir:

PortDawg 10-08-2009 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 884)
New AC tensioner and all is well. Talk about a beoch to get on! :omg: Not a job for the un-limber individual. Took about an hour or so, and that's with the old one already taken off.

Putting it on a lift helps..

Sneaks 10-08-2009 9:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortDawg (Post 895)
Putting it on a lift helps..

I thought maybe going up from underneath would work better. Threw it up on jackstands, and no-go. Not enough room to work between the rack-n-pinion, leaf spring, and the tranny cooler lines.

DropTheTop 10-09-2009 6:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 884)

Geez, and I thought getting the belt on was bad! :crazy:

Sneaks 10-09-2009 7:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropTheTop (Post 957)
Geez, and I thought getting the belt on was bad! :crazy:

That's the easy part. :rolllaughing:

WKMCD 10-09-2009 7:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 910)
I thought maybe going up from underneath would work better. Threw it up on jackstands, and no-go. Not enough room to work between the rack-n-pinion, leaf spring, and the tranny cooler lines.

I hate leaf springs...:D

DropTheTop 10-09-2009 8:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 978)

:not-funny: Grumble, grumble, stupid leaf springs . . .

Sneaks 10-09-2009 8:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 978)

How would you know? You don't have any. :winky: