The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Californina DMV (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119380)

Wathen1955 05-15-2019 1:44pm

The Californina DMV

This has to be the worst government agency in this state.

Last year in February 2018, I decided to get my license updated for 2 reasons:
1. In October 1, 2020, in order to travel you have to get the new license that is approved by the feds
2. I moved and my old license showed a very old address

I make an appointment and go down to DMV to get it update. I pay the $36 fee and received a temp license until my new one arrives. So I figured I was done for another 5 years before dealing with the DMV.

While talking to my wife about the license (she is talking about getting her's updated), I noticed that the expiration date was 5-8-2019! WTF? I just renewed this last year.

So I get on the web and try to schedule an appointment - July 22, 2019. WTF? Really?

So now I decided to simply just go there and wait in line. I arrived 15 minutes before they open, and there are already 50+ people waiting in line. After going through all the steps to get it corrected, I had to pay the fee again, $36, take a vision test, take a written test, have my picture taken again, and then finally got a temp license until the new one arrives in the mail.

The gal told me I should have waited until it was almost expired before updating it. WTF?

I don't know how it is in other states, but this department needs a complete OVERHAUL.

JetMechZ16 05-15-2019 2:06pm

They weren't any better when I moved out of that state back in 1985.

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:13pm

Problem is, every time they "overhaul" it, it gets worse. I have lost count over the last few decades of how many times they trashed tens of millions of dollars worth of defective computer hardware and software and started over.

A few years ago I actually benefitted from their incompetence. I had moved, so I went there to do a simple change of address on my license which had a year or two left on it. I went in person because the picture on my license was over ten years old from renewing by mail. They just reuse the old picture. I wanted a new one.

So about halfway through the process, the lady says "Damn! I entered this as a renewal, not a change of address. I'm not going to start over. This is your lucky day. You're getting a renewal good for five years."

No written test, no eye test (I'm already flagged for corrective lenses) and minimal fee. I can't remember how much. Just had my picture taken and got the license in the mail not long after that. Felt like I won the lottery.

Mike Mercury 05-15-2019 2:25pm

https://s.driving-tests.org/img/lice...rs-license.jpg

https://static.thefederalistpapers.o...-messed-up.jpg

DAB 05-15-2019 2:27pm

our NM MVD (motor vehicle dept) is so good, that private, for profit companies exist in the same cities that the MVD have an office, and offer, for a fee, to do everything the state agency does, but in a simpler, more efficient manner - once you get called (and you can make an appt), you walk up to one clerk, and she/he does everything you need done. new DL, done. new car registration (like we moved into the state with cars), done. new tags, done. easy peasy. they charge the same state mandated fees as the MVD, and they also add a fee for their services, which we are happy to pay to avoid the MVD hell (went there once, what a mess of confusion and disorder).

so, that's how great our MVD is, they have private competition. that stays in business!

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1670385)
our NM MVD (motor vehicle dept) is so good, that private, for profit companies exist in the same cities that the MVD have an office, and offer, for a fee, to do everything the state agency does, but in a simpler, more efficient manner - once you get called (and you can make an appt), you walk up to one clerk, and she/he does everything you need done. new DL, done. new car registration (like we moved into the state with cars), done. new tags, done. easy peasy. they charge the same state mandated fees as the MVD, and they also add a fee for their services, which we are happy to pay to avoid the MVD hell (went there once, what a mess of confusion and disorder).

so, that's how great our MVD is, they have private competition. that stays in business!

We have those here, too. Retired DMV people often work there. A friend of mine owns one of them. You can find them online, too. Best way here is to have AAA towing service, then you can do most DMV business at their office with no extra charges. Can't renew a license there, though.

Wathen1955 05-15-2019 2:45pm

LOL I even misspelled the acronym. DMV

Forgot to mention that I had to use their PC's to take the test, and 1 of them crashed, 2 others when you clicked on a link for the test, nothing happened on the screen. I thought something was wrong with this one, but about 1 minute later, it advanced to the test. You would think that the software developer would have put a screen that says just a moment while we load the test or something to that effect. Oh I forgot - it went to the lowest bidder.

StaticCling 05-15-2019 2:46pm

My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.

StaticCling 05-15-2019 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1670389)
We have those here, too. Retired DMV people often work there. A friend of mine owns one of them. You can find them online, too. Best way here is to have AAA towing service, then you can do most DMV business at their office with no extra charges. Can't renew a license there, though.

I was wondering that. So AAA won't deal with the license stuff. Good to know.

Mike Mercury 05-15-2019 2:48pm

if it gets boring... skip to: 1:09

:rofl:

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670392)
I was wondering that. So AAA won't deal with the license stuff. Good to know.

They can do a change of address, but they are not set up for vision tests, written and driving tests, photographs, etc.

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1670390)
LOL I even misspelled the acronym. DMV

Forgot to mention that I had to use their PC's to take the test, and 1 of them crashed, 2 others when you clicked on a link for the test, nothing happened on the screen. I thought something was wrong with this one, but about 1 minute later, it advanced to the test. You would think that the software developer would have put a screen that says just a moment while we load the test or something to that effect. Oh I forgot - it went to the lowest bidder.

Or maybe the largest campaign donor.:yesnod:

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670391)
My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.

AAA can't do the real ID thing either. The lady at AAA did tell me something I did not know, though. A passport will do everything the real ID will do, except one thing - purchase of a firearm.

mrvette 05-15-2019 3:38pm

Waited at the Orange Park locak DMV orifice for about 5 minits, guy called me up and he said my license needed a new pix, like every 5 years or so.....so new pix, new finger prints, and made in about ten minits on the machine right there.....total time about 30 minits......can't bitch.....:dance:

Barn Babe 05-15-2019 4:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1670398)
Waited at the Orange Park locak DMV orifice for about 5 minits, guy called me up and he said my license needed a new pix, like every 5 years or so.....so new pix, new finger prints, and made in about ten minits on the machine right there.....total time about 30 minits......can't bitch.....:dance:

Similar experience here earlier this month. Without an appointment. I can attest that the CA DMV is a NIGHTMARE!!!:banghead:

Nox 05-15-2019 4:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670391)

I went to the DMV Drivers license processing center. They only do Drivers licenses. I made an appointment online in advance. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Nox 05-15-2019 4:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1670396)
AAA can't do the real ID thing either. The lady at AAA did tell me something I did not know, though. A passport will do everything the real ID will do, except one thing - purchase of a firearm.

Can you drive a car using your passport as a license? :rofl:

StaticCling 05-15-2019 5:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1670407)
I went to the DMV Drivers license processing center. They only do Drivers licenses. I made an appointment online in advance. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Where is this?

Just looked it up, the one on San Fernando Mission in Granada Hills, that's close to my house...

FYI, that entire shopping center is going to be torn down and Condo's are going up. :yesnod:

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 5:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1670408)
Can you drive a car using your passport as a license? :rofl:

You can get a real ID that is not a driver's license. I was referring to ID uses.

Nox 05-15-2019 5:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670412)
Where is this?

Just looked it up, the one on San Fernando Mission in Granada Hills, that's close to my house...

FYI, that entire shopping center is going to be torn down and Condo's are going up. :yesnod:

I recommend you go and get it done before they do.