The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Labor Rates Are Killing Us (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3235)

Iron Chef 06-28-2010 7:52pm

Labor Rates Are Killing Us

I have an HP 4600 Color LaserJet. The printer was given to me when my last company shuttered it's doors (no lie...I have paperwork from the CEO!). So I was a little irritated when it stopped working with a "51.2K Error" (a part called a Laser Scanner was kaput).

I called around because it's an amazing printer and worth around 5 Grand. Most places wanted $100 for a service call, then a 2 hour minimum charge plus the cost of the part. All in all, I'd have spent close to $500 to get the thing fixed. :skep:

McDuck Enterprises to the rescue! :clever:

I found a place that sold the black laser scanner...remanufactured...for $59. I got the repair manual online. Damn if I didn't take out 6 panels and about 30 screws, but I got the damn thing fixed (oh...and got the compressed air hose to clean out mountains of dust too). Saved myself around $450!

You know what kills us in this country? Friggin' labor rates. I can't wait until the Chevy Dealer tells me he wants to charge me $125 for an oil change on the GS. :lolsmile:

Oy Vey! Time to celebrate with a Corned Beef on Rye! :hurray:

1TZSLO 06-28-2010 8:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 40062)

Ill just stick with ramen noodles lol

Defib1961 06-28-2010 8:22pm

Quote:

I have an HP 4600 Color LaserJet. The printer was given to me when my last company shuttered it's doors (no lie...I have paperwork from the CEO!). So I was a little irritated when it stopped working with a "51.2K Error" (a part called a Laser Scanner was kaput).

I called around because it's an amazing printer and worth around 5 Grand. Most places wanted $100 for a service call, then a 2 hour minimum charge plus the cost of the part. All in all, I'd have spent close to $500 to get the thing fixed. :skep:

I found a place that sold the black laser scanner...remanufactured...for $59. I got the repair manual online. Damn if I didn't take out 6 panels and about 30 screws, but I got the damn thing fixed (oh...and got the compressed air hose to clean out mountains of dust too). Saved myself around $450!

You know what kills us in this country? Friggin' labor rates. I can't wait until the Chevy Dealer tells me he wants to charge me $125 for an oil change on the GS. :lolsmile:

Damn, I just had a BIG cheeseburger and that still sounds good.

vettex2 06-28-2010 8:25pm

Quote:

WELL THE PRINTER WAS FREE :above:

Do your own oil change :toetap:

I prefer pastrami on rye:D

BuckyThreadkiller 06-28-2010 8:56pm

I'm floored and amazed that you, of all people, would find a way to do this on the cheap.

Floored I say.

NEVRL8T 06-28-2010 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller (Post 40076)
I'm floored and amazed that you, of all people, would find a way to do this on the cheap.

Floored I say.

Bull****! :lolsmile:

Defib1961 06-28-2010 9:20pm

Quote:

Floored I say.

:toetap::toetap::toetap:

Iron Chef 06-28-2010 9:22pm

Quote:

Floored I say.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../isra10205.jpg

Yokel please!

Z06PDQ 06-29-2010 8:07am

money saved is money earned. all the last work done on the Z I've done myself. brakes,shocks, ABS module replacement, code troubleshooting. it's amazing what the internetz can show you. tried repairing my 25 yr old wooden garage door for the second time & fubar'd it. a "not so expensive" guy installed a new aluminum one for $600. :cheers:

NikiQ 06-30-2010 7:48am

NikiQ 06-30-2010 7:50am

Which stealership you going to for the gold plated oil change? :waiting:

Joecooool 06-30-2010 9:29am

The bulb on my DLP went out last month and the TV shop wanted $100 for a service call plus $399 for the new bulb.

I spent two minutes on the web and found a video on how to fix it myself. I bought a bulb for $89 on line, pulled the housing, replaced the bulb and was back in business. Took about ten minutes to fix it myself.

I still don't know why that bulb was so expensive, I looked high and low and that was the best price I could find.

Iron Chef 06-30-2010 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiQ (Post 40262)
Which stealership you going to for the gold plated oil change? :waiting:

Take your pick. I remember when I had my C4, the dealer tried to charge me $75 for an oil change. Fortunately, I had them write on the ticket "Do Not Change Oil" so they had to eat the charges. I really have no intention of going to the dealer for an oil change (I'll do it myself), but I've heard from several people that the standard charge on a C6 is around $125.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 40274)
I still don't know why that bulb was so expensive, I looked high and low and that was the best price I could find.

In all likelihood, the bulb really isn't expensive. They mark it up because they CAN. They know that they have you over a barrel. It's a required part with a limited lifespan. No bulb, no TV, so you're screwed.

Z06PDQ 06-30-2010 10:36am

the "Corvette Tax." we know it well. :D

Peter Pan 06-30-2010 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defib1961 (Post 40071)
Damn, I just had a BIG cheeseburger and that still sounds good.

Get those cheesburgers while you can before they shove all the veggies down your throat and tell you what you have to eat:D

BuckyThreadkiller 06-30-2010 3:37pm

If the EPA regulations that affect cap and trade go through, cattlemen will be out of business, so there won't be anything to eat but veggies.

BuckyThreadkiller 06-30-2010 3:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 40276)
Take your pick. I remember when I had my C4, the dealer tried to charge me $75 for an oil change. Fortunately, I had them write on the ticket "Do Not Change Oil" so they had to eat the charges. I really have no intention of going to the dealer for an oil change (I'll do it myself), but I've heard from several people that the standard charge on a C6 is around $125.

Where was that?

I usually get mine done at Red Carpet and they get between $50 and 60 depending on the current robbery rate for Mobil 1.

Iron Chef 06-30-2010 5:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller (Post 40352)
Where was that?

I usually get mine done at Red Carpet and they get between $50 and 60 depending on the current robbery rate for Mobil 1.

Vandergriff Chevy in Arlington.

BuckyThreadkiller 06-30-2010 5:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 40393)
Vandergriff Chevy in Arlington.

Ahhhh.

Rick Cantalini who is the GM there used to be my client contact when he was at Charlie Hillard - He's a good guy but he's all about making money.

Z06PDQ 06-30-2010 5:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller (Post 40351)
If the EPA regulations that affect cap and trade go through, cattlemen will be out of business, so there won't be anything to eat but veggies.

don't worry. Obama's got a methane condom that will fit over a cow's ass. you'll come around once a week & fuel the pickup with it. it was T Boone's invention :lol: