The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How did NASA steer the Saturn V? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123302)

Wathen1955 08-06-2020 11:58pm

How did NASA steer the Saturn V?

Pretty incredible what they did with technology back in the 60's.

Gozar 08-07-2020 1:28am

All 5 F1 engines had a large (considering) amount of gimble. Pretty impressive for 1.5 million pounds of thrust each.

boracayjohnny 08-07-2020 1:57am

"By hand..."

:Jeff '79: or :banghead:

I'll say amazing.

RMVette 08-07-2020 6:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1793283)
https://youtu.be/dI-JW2UIAG0

Man, thanks for posting this! The Saturn V was an amazing engineering accomplishment for sure.

Dan Dlabay 08-07-2020 8:46am

A lot of intelligent and skilled people back then. And the proof is in the success of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space programs.:cert:

DAB 08-07-2020 9:09am

My dad worked on the F1 engines for Rocketdyne.

The center engine was fixed, only the outer four were on gimbals.

Iron Chef 08-07-2020 9:18am

I love this stuff. I knew the ring housed the computers and that the computing power was somewhat primitive, but I had no idea how much labor and precision went into it.

Thanks for posting this!! :seasix: :seasix:

z06psi 08-07-2020 9:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1793325)
A lot of intelligent and skilled people back then. And the proof is in the success of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space programs.:cert:

And we threw it all away for social programs.

Giraffe (He/Him) 08-07-2020 9:57am

That’s probably extremely interesting if you understood even a LITTLE of it. I superglued my shoe this morning.

Cybercowboy 08-07-2020 10:04am

At one of my old jobs, we had a PDP-1104 minicomputer that had core memory similar to this computer. It was used to test cable assemblies and was programmed by Hughes Aircraft. I remember when the guy who primarily ran it was all excited because they got him a hard disk drive. The thing was the size of big suitcase and had removable platters, each about the size of an LP record arranged in a stack of six or so. I think it was 5 MB total storage. Prior to that everything had to run from 8" floppy disks. :lol:

At one point I built a small PC and added special controller board that was essentially just a bunch of relays and programmed it to be a tester to replace this behemoth. Took me a week or two and done. Last I heard they are still using it 30 years later.

z06psi 08-07-2020 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1793349)
At one of my old jobs, we had a PDP-1104 minicomputer that had core memory similar to this computer. It was used to test cable assemblies and was programmed by Hughes Aircraft. I remember when the guy who primarily ran it was all excited because they got him a hard disk drive. The thing was the size of big suitcase and had removable platters, each about the size of an LP record arranged in a stack of six or so. I think it was 5 MB total storage. Prior to that everything had to run from 8" floppy disks. :lol:

At one point I built a small PC and added special controller board that was essentially just a bunch of relays and programmed it to be a tester to replace this behemoth. Took me a week or two and done. Last I heard they are still using it 30 years later.

We had a system all the way up till 1996 that still used the large 14" platter disks in the Army/Air Force. It controlled spacecraft. :yesnod:

dvarapala 08-07-2020 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1793283)

It's amazing how some unlicensed Software Engineers could do so much with so little. :yesnod:

dvarapala 08-07-2020 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1793353)
We had a system all the way up till 1996 that still used the large 14" platter disks in the Army/Air Force. It controlled spacecraft. :yesnod:

I have one of those platters - I made a wall clock out of it. :D

mrvette 08-07-2020 10:41am

After first divorce, I moved into my hi rise 11th floor apt.....looking out over top of NIH, where the kid's mom worked.....it was really interesting in that the Nat. Lib of Med was into Bio-Medical .com around the world even china and russia on board with the sat links and so down in the basement to get to the lunch room, we walked by the large IBM transports, setting there spinning away, very similar to the tape machines that Library of Conngress was operating, around the world sat links sharing library information......

so during that time period from '76 through '88 I observed a lot of expansions in the Dig IT ALL world.......:dance::dance::seasix:

dwjz06 08-07-2020 10:44am

Great stuff. Had my AIT school not far down the road from the rocket center at Redstone Arsenal. Cool place to visit.:cert:

Wathen1955 08-07-2020 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1793355)
I have one of those platters - I made a wall clock out of it. :D

pics???

DAB 08-07-2020 11:07am

i still have the Fortran code i wrote in college..... :leaving: :dance: :DAB:

mrvette 08-07-2020 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1793374)

My kid's G'father on their Mom's side was a EE doing Fortran coding at his house in N Carolina Oriental town, off the Neusse River.....his company chased him down upon retarrment and move south....beCAUSE he was the only dude that knew jack shit about some project or other....early 80's......he more interested in maintaining his home built 34' Morgan Sail boat....not that I blame him one damn bit.....:sadangel:

DAB 08-07-2020 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1793380)
My kid's G'father on their Mom's side was a EE doing Fortran coding at his house in N Carolina Oriental town, off the Neusse River.....his company chased him down upon retarrment and move south....beCAUSE he was the only dude that knew jack shit about some project or other....early 80's......he more interested in maintaining his home built 34' Morgan Sail boat....not that I blame him one damn bit.....:sadangel:

he should tell them: "fine, i'll drop what i'm doing in my pleasant retirement to help you out. my fee is $500/hour, if i have to travel, it's by first class, you pay all actual expenses, including pay for travel time, and i don't do more than 6 hours a day without prior approval by me, and then each hour over 6 is charged at $800/hour. now, what can i help you with?"

RMVette 08-07-2020 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1793374)

I think I still have my Fortran IV manual!