The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I blame Loco Vette...for my new obsession with trains... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118512)

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 1:05am

I blame Loco Vette...for my new obsession with trains...

1 Attachment(s)
:willy:

Old Town Manassas, not far from me, has turned into a charming lil place to drive around and take pics...there's trains that run through frequently (VRE commuter train, freight trains, and the like). Of course I hafta spot those lil blue signs each time :Jeff '79:

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 1:09am

Friend captured these...

1 Attachment(s)
Coming through!

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 1:10am

1 Attachment(s)
Historical marker...

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 1:14am

1 Attachment(s)
Near the railway/town center on permanent display...

Olustee bus 01-29-2019 3:21am

www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIkT9bq-1N2BvrsBjhNlag

Antfarmer2 01-29-2019 5:48am

We use to put coins on the tracks. Going have to do it again to show the grandson. :seasix::cert::seasix:

86RAG 01-29-2019 7:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antfarmer2 (Post 1657321)
We use to put coins on the tracks. Going have to do it again to show the grandson. :seasix::cert::seasix:

Yup, loved doing that as a kid! :yesnod:

Mike Mercury 01-29-2019 9:48am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/9d...d715559dd8.jpg

Loco Vette 01-29-2019 10:06am

You're welcome :D

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olustee bus (Post 1657320)

Great, another way for me to waste time during the day :willy: :Jeff '79: I've been occasionally watching the live stream of the 'crossroads of America' trains that pass through Ohio that someone else posted in another thread :seasix:

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 11:09am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antfarmer2 (Post 1657321)

There used to be for the longest time an annual car show in the lil town of Clifton, VA (formerly known as 'Devereaux Station')...a friend did that, and found and kept the coins after a train came through in the middle of the show :Jeff '79: :seasix:

The trains come through to the right of the building pictured (can see some of the track in the background)...and yes, the name of the street/alley on the sign is indeed 'Ford Ln' :Jeff '79:

69camfrk 01-29-2019 4:09pm

My cousin married a guy with family ties to the Wreck of the old 97. He explained it to me once, but I would have to ask him again. One of the engineers was a family member somehow. BTW, I have family in Manassas. Been there a million times through the years, but then again, I was born and lived the first few years of my life in Loudoun county. Hard to believe what Leesburg has become.....:sadangel:

vetteman9368 01-29-2019 4:40pm

I blame Val for lots of stuff 🤣🤣🤣

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 7:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1657401)
My cousin married a guy with family ties to the Wreck of the old 97. He explained it to me once, but I would have to ask him again. One of the engineers was a family member somehow. BTW, I have family in Manassas. Been there a million times through the years, but then again, I was born and lived the first few years of my life in Loudoun county. Hard to believe what Leesburg has become.....:sadangel:

Loudoun County is wayyyyyyy too busy/crowded for me :ack:

Found this on Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wreck_of_the_Old_97

Dan Dlabay 01-29-2019 7:42pm

My brother just retired with 43 years working for the railroad. Now in his retirement he is building a good sized model railroad layout in his basement.:cert:

LilRedCorvette 01-29-2019 9:49pm

Thought about doing this...has anyone here ever done it?

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

I'm not far from Lorton Station...

mrvette 01-30-2019 5:10am

This thread, so many bells for me......Lorton Va. home of the DC prison, MAX ward, I was inside with the inmates in the early 80's doing security work, screening in mates for knives/worse....walk through metal detectors like at the airports, only high sense capability......ring them down to the fillings in their teeth if wanted.....Jim Black, he was, was the head guard man, he was a very large solid built older fellow nearing retirement.....he used to brag on the kids that come in thinking they run the joint, he go one on one lockdown in their cells for a few hours......he was the only one to walk out....nuff said.....

now bacn to RR's I used to have a Lionel O ga train hobby, met up with a bunch of guys in '80 and we formed a train collectors club of almost a dozen of us, get together once every 3 months at alternate houses.....and of course go to York Pa. for the Train Collectors' Assn. meet, typically near end of year/holiday time, guys from all over the nation, mainly Lionel, but many others too, American Flyer being distant second in attendance......H O size was not that well represented......

When my kids were new, after the divorce, I had a 3 car garage in my 1/4 acre lot, back yard....concrete back yard.....one of the bays was filled in and heated for a train layout....~24' long, 11' wide at back end, 8' wide at control/doorway to the room.....5 trains at once, 3 large control transformers, ZW's......ran lots of Gargraves track, which comprised the large high speed loop of many layers where I ran a SCALE GG1 and passenger cars, when the rig was up and running, the noise was so loud had to shout to be heard......I managed to sell the entire setup for what I had in it, just a years before the market collapsed.....got lucky, but the kids were getting into teen years and not all that interested any more.....

Funny thing is, when their mom and I met, I had two 4x8 sheets of plywood in my 11th floor apartment operating Lionel trains, and a loop on the living area floor......:rofl: Ya, just gotta know summfin matter with her when interested in a clown who is mid 30's age, playing with Lionel trains in his high rise apt.......Same guy who stunk out the entire building when rebuilding a fiberglass boat hull in the parking garage.....:issues::rofl:

69camfrk 01-30-2019 4:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1657416)
Loudoun County is wayyyyyyy too busy/crowded for me :ack:

Found this on Wiki:
Wreck of the Old 97 - Wikipedia

When I was young, even through teenage years in the late 70's, Loudoun county was still farm country, and we had friends there, that did just that. Guess all of that has been done and over for a while.

87 Ragtop 01-30-2019 5:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1657380)
Great, another way for me to waste time during the day :willy: :Jeff '79: I've been occasionally watching the live stream of the 'crossroads of America' trains that pass through Ohio that someone else posted in another thread :seasix:

:leaving:

Deshler is the town I grew up in. Lived with them for the beginning half of my life :lol:

LilRedCorvette 01-30-2019 6:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Ragtop (Post 1657535)
:leaving:

Deshler is the town I grew up in. Lived with them for the beginning half of my life :lol:

:Jeff '79: :seasix:

Saw a bunch roll through there today :leaving:

Also saw them burning rope with diesel fuel to warm the tracks :cool: