The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dishwasher Advice (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127629)

StaticCling 01-14-2022 7:27am

Dishwasher Advice

We need a new one.

We bought a Bosch from Lowes a number of years ago, and it has been a major dud. Actually the first one was a complete dud, and they replaced it within a few weeks.

This one has crapped out once, been repaired, and died out again. Actually, we haven't even bothered with it for a few years.

I know Bosch has a pretty good reputation, but my experience has been less than stellar.

I wish they still made them with electro-mechanical controls, but everything these days has a circuit board. Any recommendations?

BayouCountry 01-14-2022 8:02am

Bosch is what I would have recommended because they are rated as the quietest.

I wanted to replace the old Kenmore washer and dryer left behind by the prior owner when I moved in 4 years ago. I gave up because every new appliance I checked out was junk. Asked a friend, who always buys top of the line, what he had and he mentioned his Samsung washer has been repaired twice.

My daughter’s 5 year old Sears Elite refrigerator compressor recently failed. It had a defective LG compressor. The repairman said it’s a known problem with that model. Go buy another refrigerator. Ouch!

Read reviews and toss a coin.
Good luck!

MadInNc 01-14-2022 8:24am

We’ve a kitchen aid, quiet does a good job. Came w house

Don Rickles 01-14-2022 8:26am

Miele/

Worth every penny!

Lakeside49 01-14-2022 8:34am

Our 6-7yr. Kitchenaid has been fantastic for us and it’s been run hard through two teenagers/now adults and moved out. It is so quiet that you can barely hear it if at all, and the controls are straightforward. A couple of years ago I thought the dishes were suddenly not getting rinsed completely clean but I ‘discovered’ the unobtrusive and easy to reach filtering drain screen at the bottom that comes out with a half-twist. I rinsed it off in the sink then twisted it back on - instantly back to excellent rinsing performance. We often use those 3-colored Cascade detergent pods which obviously dissolve in the wash cycle - but, if you forget to twist off and rinse the filtering screen the dissolvable clear packaging gel encasing the detergent pods will gradually build up on the round drain filtering screen and easily rinsed off and back to new.

mrvette 01-14-2022 8:54am

My used Maytag came from an add , about 18 years ago, lady said it was only 2 years old......kitchen remodel going on....been flawless.....

my clothes washer failed about ten years ago, used appliance dealer nearby, 150 bux got a Kenmore.....he changed the drain pump under warranty....been flawless since

NO way in HELL I would ever buy a modern/new appliance, gimme the shit that werks, not some electronic crap that blows up with every thunderstorm.....

:issues:

dvarapala 01-14-2022 9:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticCling (Post 1934052)
We need a new one.

Any recommendations?

@Mike Mercury will post 5 of them later today - pick one.

YW

DJ_Critterus 01-14-2022 10:34am

Your best dishwashers come with smaller tits so they can see what they're doing. :yesnod:

Rodnok1 01-14-2022 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1934119)
Your best dishwashers come with smaller tits so they can see what they're doing. :yesnod:

Took long enough...

I just keep mine in chocolate and wine coolers and works fine, can't afford the alimony for a new dishwasher.

DJ_Critterus 01-14-2022 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1934124)
Took long enough...

Exactly, this place is slipping. It's not like the mods here close down a thread for some frivolity.

DAB 01-14-2022 10:45am

Our GE still works fine after 9 years. Quiet too

Aerovette 01-14-2022 11:34am

My dishwasher is 14 years old and aside from some scaling that I spray with CLR, I have never had an issue or a repair needed. Whirlpool.

ratflinger 01-14-2022 11:49am

Replaced my Bosch with a LG. The LG is quieter. I was tired of repairing the Bosch, the Bosch in the previous house gave us zero trouble, in 7 years I've had to repair this on 3 times. Like the Bosch, the LG does not have an exposed heating element in the bottom.

DJ_Critterus 01-14-2022 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratflinger (Post 1934153)
Replaced my Bosch with a LG. The LG is quieter. I was tired of repairing the Bosch, the Bosch in the previous house gave us zero trouble, in 7 years I've had to repair this on 3 times. Like the Bosch, the LG does not have an exposed heating element in the bottom.

My parents have all LG appliances and they turned out to be complete crap after a 2-3 years. The side load washer is the worst, but the dishwasher, for some reason, always burns out the control panel.

04 commemorative 01-14-2022 11:56am

Bosch here and very quiet and happy with it

Dan47 01-14-2022 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1934146)
My dishwasher is 14 years old and aside from some scaling that I spray with CLR, I have never had an issue or a repair needed. Whirlpool.

Mine's turning 49 on Jan 20 and I've been having all sorts of issues, especially with her bad attitude. :yesnod:

I'd like to get a replacement but 14 sounds way too young... Maybe 30-35~? :D

NEED-A-VETTE 01-14-2022 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1934077)
@Mike Mercury will post 5 of them later today - pick one.

YW

Well played. :funny:

NEED-A-VETTE 01-14-2022 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1934124)
Took long enough...

I just keep mine in chocolate and wine coolers and works fine, can't afford the alimony for a new dishwasher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1934126)
Exactly, this place is slipping. It's not like the mods here close down a thread for some frivolity.

Dvar beat you both. Subtle, but clever.

theandies 01-14-2022 1:03pm

Bosh was way overpriced for us when we decided to replace our 20 year old Kenmore. That was a great washer. We went with Frigidaire Gallery series to match our gas stove we bought a few years ago. Not top of the line as it's a plastic tub but it washes great and is very quiet.
We know it works good because after we washed our big tumbler glasses they came our crystal clear as opposed to the less than clear look coming out of the old dishwasher.

Funny thing is I'm a mechanic through and through. There is nothing that intimidates me when it comes to taking it apart and attempting to fix. My wife has wanted a new washer and dryer for decades. Every time one of them breaks down I always fix it. We bought our washing machine in 1994 and it still works today. I finally had to get a new dryer because the motor went out and they wanted $250 for a new one. I looked at prices for a new dryer at the time and for another 200 I could get a brand new one. She was happy to get a new dryer but she didn't get the washer. Now about once a month she says the washer is making funny noises. LOL

DJ_Critterus 01-14-2022 1:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1934167)
Dvar beat you both. Subtle, but clever.

clever, but he went subtle. I went for crass and crude. :yesnod: