The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   [Woodworking] Santa may be getting busy soon (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124154)

DAB 11-22-2020 12:52pm

[Woodworking] Santa may be getting busy soon

10 Attachment(s)
just had a request to make 3 (Three!!!) cutting boards. :faint:

so for your viewing pleasure, a sampling of prior boards:

DAB 11-22-2020 12:57pm

2 Attachment(s)
a few more:

DAB 11-22-2020 1:00pm

i do consider requests, but i don't take orders. there's a difference.

you can PM me with questions/comments, and we can go from there.

RonC5 11-22-2020 7:48pm

You are truly and artist Doug.

Egnalf 11-22-2020 8:38pm

i admire your craftmanship, much like i did the sanford knives at the other place. if you are opento a little more business, pm budget when you get time. there is no rush on my part so it neednt interfere with the holidays.

JRD77VET 11-22-2020 8:44pm

I thought number 7 looked familiar :cool1:

Belt bucket holding up?

DAB 11-22-2020 9:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1825613)
I thought number 7 looked familiar :cool1:

Belt bucket holding up?

Yup. :DAB:

DAB 11-22-2020 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1825602)
i admire your craftmanship, much like i did the sanford knives at the other place. if you are opento a little more business, pm budget when you get time. there is no rush on my part so it neednt interfere with the holidays.

It depends on size, wood selection, complexity, and how broke my gun fund is. :dance:

markids77 11-22-2020 9:47pm

I would like to know how you sand pieces like The Vette Barn board where the grain runs everywhere but parallel? Belt sander? Orbital?

dwjz06 11-22-2020 10:48pm

Douglas,

The third pic from the top. What kind of wood? Ever work with purple heart wood? Is there certain kinds of wood that work better for these boards. Like if used a bunch or better for a decoration? Great craftsmanship:cert:

BOTY 11-22-2020 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1825551)
You are truly and artist Doug.

Absolutely. :yesnod:

IB4TL 11-22-2020 11:38pm

Quality craftsmanship :seasix:

How much time do you typically spend on each one?

DAB 11-23-2020 9:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1825678)
I would like to know how you sand pieces like The Vette Barn board where the grain runs everywhere but parallel? Belt sander? Orbital?

Progressive glue up, belt sander and random orbital sander.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1825726)
Douglas,

The third pic from the top. What kind of wood? Ever work with purple heart wood? Is there certain kinds of wood that work better for these boards. Like if used a bunch or better for a decoration? Great craftsmanship:cert:

That was made for Iron Chef, walnut in the center, maple, then Purple Heart. Most any hardwood works, just a matter of money and design desired.

:DAB:

Blademaker 11-23-2020 9:21am

Know the deal.
I took a commission to make 3 blades a week ago for Christmas 2020. 1 large kitchen knife, and 2 smaller knives that had to be forged from a bolt picked up by from some R.R. tracks "When I was a child." Gawd only knows what kinda steel it is.
I usually don't take orders for Christmas after September, but this covid scamdemic........

Giraffe (He/Him) 11-23-2020 9:22am

1 Attachment(s)
DAB, you’ll appreciate this perhaps. My sister’s FIL made this dog urn for me.

RMVette 11-23-2020 9:25am

Excellent work and craftsmanship!

DAB 11-23-2020 10:41am

1 Attachment(s)
that book matched one (6th from top), made for Sea Six some years ago, has 10 different woods, and this pic shows what kind of woods were used:

DAB 11-23-2020 10:50am

true story:

years ago, when we still lived in MD, a relative had spent a year in China on business, and part of the deal was that the company would ship back a 20 foot Conex full of whatever stuff they had bought over time there. cool, nice perk. so at some point, they acquired a supply of Burmese Teak, and we eventually ended up in my basement shop making some pieces for his boat. and there was leftovers, which they gave me! woot!

i then turned those leftovers into a small (9x9) cutting board, end grain, and gave it back to them. she looked at it, and said those famous words: "it's too nice to use"

it's teak, one of the hardest woods around, you aren't going to ruin it by using it.

dwjz06 11-23-2020 3:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1825805)
Progressive glue up, belt sander and random orbital sander.

That was made for Iron Chef, walnut in the center, maple, then Purple Heart. Most any hardwood works, just a matter of money and design desired.

:seasix::cert: very nice.

DAB 11-23-2020 3:34pm

it is rare that a cutting board comes out of the clamps perfectly flat on both faces. i have a scrap piece of granite countertop material (the cut out for the cook top in our kitchen) that i use to test flatness. if it rocks, i mark the high spots with chalk and then sand them down with the belt sander. test again, and repeat as needed until the face sits flat, then do the other face, same process. that way, the cutting board won't rock on your counter top when you use it. this can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a frustrating hour, and consume several sanding belts and sanding disks.

i have seen videos of others running their end grain cutting boards thru a planer or flat bed sander, but if you don't take precautions, you'll get tearout on the trailing edge, and ruin the last 1-2" of the board. and that assumes the face that is down is flat too, which is a poor assumption. my method works for me.