The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I can't believe it. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137067)

ThePirate 03-27-2024 10:58am

I can't believe it.

We have a 3 pane sliding glass door from our bedroom to our pool enclosure. There is a sliding screen door on the outside of one pane so that we can leave the door open at night and have the screen protect us from bugs and snakes. Have had 4 snakes somehow get into our pool enclosure over the years. The screen sliding door has rust all around the metal frame and we want to replace it.

Here is the real problem. NO one, and I mean NO one, sells, or constructs these doors. The door is 48" X 95 inches. I have called dozens of screen installers, window installers, etc but none sell or make what I need. It's only a 4 piece frame with screen inside , and rollers on the door. Can't get anyone.:thomas:

Any suggestions?

Rodnok1 03-27-2024 11:04am

Metal fabricator to modify an off the shelf unit? I'd go aluminum if possible.

LATB 03-27-2024 11:27am

The guys who doo pool enclosures and screened rooms should be able to help you.

ThePirate 03-27-2024 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2238006)
The guys who doo pool enclosures and screened rooms should be able to help you.

Nope. Have called them all. If you buy a sliding glass door it will come with a screen but no one sells them seperate. Maybe with your background you could make some suggestions? :kimblair:

6spdC6 03-27-2024 12:52pm

Have you considered calling those Rapid Response type contractors. The ones that advertise they will come right to your house/business and secure it after a catastrophe.(flood/fire/ violent wind) They just might have a guy or know of one.

CurtP 03-27-2024 1:05pm

You can give these guys a call: https://www.metroscreenworks.com
(800) 413-2579

No idea if they're going to be any cheaper than the $700 quote you already got, especially if it has to be shipped.

I don't think your quote is unreasonable, all things considering. You could try building one yourself if you're really wanting to try to keep it under $400. I don't think you're going to find someone to make one for that price.

LATB 03-27-2024 1:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePirate (Post 2238030)
Nope. Have called them all. If you buy a sliding glass door it will come with a screen but no one sells them seperate. Maybe with your background you could make some suggestions? :kimblair:

Sometimes a local hardware store does screen repair and they have the extruded aluminum parts to make frame.

04 commemorative 03-27-2024 1:30pm

Home Depot and Lowes sells all different size screen doors

jw38 03-27-2024 2:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePirate (Post 2237990)
We have a 3 pane sliding glass door from our bedroom to our pool enclosure. There is a sliding screen door on the outside of one pane so that we can leave the door open at night and have the screen protect us from bugs and snakes. Have had 4 snakes somehow get into our pool enclosure over the years. The screen sliding door has rust all around the metal frame and we want to replace it.

Here is the real problem. NO one, and I mean NO one, sells, or constructs these doors. The door is 48" X 95 inches. I have called dozens of screen installers, window installers, etc but none sell or make what I need. It's only a 4 piece frame with screen inside , and rollers on the door. Can't get anyone.:thomas:

Any suggestions?

This was pretty easy to find:

https://www.bestcustomscreens.com/sh...d-custom-made/

theandies 03-27-2024 4:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePirate (Post 2237990)

Any suggestions?

Try this:

https://blindandscreen.com/diy-slidi...ding-your-own/

Quote:

Customization for Different Sizes
One of the key features of sliding screen door kits is their flexibility in size customization. Whether you’re dealing with a standard doorway or a unique, oversized opening, these kits can be adjusted or trimmed to ensure a perfect fit. This adaptability makes them an ideal choice for both new installations and replacements, accommodating the variances often found in both residential and commercial properties.

Raazor 03-27-2024 4:41pm

call the guy

/thread

ZipZap 03-27-2024 4:48pm

We had two 96" storm doors custom made for the front entries.

$Jeebus$

Pretty much any custom size is a factory build off the internet these days. It's either a company that will install it that will get it built, or you can try the internet. The several companies that had great products would not deal with me 1 on 1 at all.

I'm surprised that you have no installer that can figure this out.

ThePirate 03-28-2024 9:17am

Thanks for all your help. Finally found a company that will build it. That took 6 months to do so. Now 2-3 week wait. Only cost $700. :faint:

Ronins2ndCuzzin 03-28-2024 9:30am

Posting a pic would be helpful to maybe find a temporary solution as I was struggling to picture what the issue actually is. But hey, if you got it sorted...dead thread now.

Raazor 03-28-2024 9:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 2238215)
call the guy

/thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePirate (Post 2238476)
Thanks for all your help. Finally found a company that will build it. That took 6 months to do so. Now 2-3 week wait. Only cost $700. :faint:

You're welcome

simpleman68 03-28-2024 9:50am

Quote:

Doesn't sound too bad.
We just got a quote to replace 14 sliders (house to lanai) and 15 windows for the excellent price of $202,000 :drunk:

Scott

KenHorse 03-28-2024 9:56am

Snakes on a pane?

LilRedCorvette 03-28-2024 8:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtP (Post 2238063)
You can give these guys a call: https://www.metroscreenworks.com
(800) 413-2579

I have used this company before with great success for my screening needs…everything I ordered was spot-on accurate, quality was top-notch, fast turnaround time, excellent customer service also. :yesnod: :seasix:

Yadkin 03-29-2024 9:16am

Quote:

You lucked out.

A window/ door manufacturer will make any size that you want, down to the 1/8" ;), or even less. But it will cost you.

For my addition, we ordered an exterior door from their catalog, hurricane rated, two leaves, 7'-4" high, curved top. I was quoted $9000.

GTOguy 03-29-2024 11:31am

1 Attachment(s)
Where's Big Bob to chime in when you need him? Attachment 99184