The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Good kitchen knives. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33299)

Mirroredshades 04-25-2012 5:53pm

Good kitchen knives.

Who do you experts like for good sharp as feck kitchen knives?

I've been cleaning out the cabinets and I've discovered that I have an addiction. I buy sharp knives, decide I don't like them and stick them in a drawer some where and never use them again. I've found about 60 that never get used. It's time buy the best and throw the rest away.

Slicing cheese, cutting tomatos, apples, etc. Maybe a some good steak knives too.

:)

RonC5 04-25-2012 7:26pm

I like Henckels, the ones made in Germany, not the ones made in Asia or Spain.

LilRedCorvette 04-25-2012 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 645120)

:iagree: That's what I have in my kitchen, too. :seasix:

kingpin 04-25-2012 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 645120)

Yupp. For an above average knife that doesn't break the bank the German Henckels work great.
It use to be easy to tell. If there was on "h" stamped on they were the good ones. If it was 2 they were the cheap ones. Or vice versa.

I have a real expensive 7 piece set that I also added a Henckel chef knife to that was on sale at a place going out of business. I bought it for $45 regularly $250. Also a set of 4 steak knives for $65 that were regularly $215.00

Keep your eyes peeled and there are lots of deals to be found on them.

jda67gta 04-26-2012 11:55am

Wüsthof Classic. :seasix:

Mirroredshades 04-26-2012 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jda67gta (Post 645654)

I have one of those and I really like it.

I had no idea the Henkles cost that much. Holy mackeral.

:barnbabe:

Poog 04-26-2012 4:00pm

Quote:

:iagree:

MrPeabody 04-28-2012 1:18pm

Quote:

Yep. Had mine nearly 20 years now. Get their hand sharpener, sharpen often and they are great knives.

Iron Chef 05-02-2012 9:12pm

Wusthof and Henckels are nearly identical. Both good quality knives. I have Wusthof Classics but no argument about Henckels.

Keep in mind that most chefs in professional kitchens use Globe knives. They are super sharp with phenolic handles and can take a beating. However, most home chefs want to look like they apprenticed for Wolfgang Puck. :rofl:

Something to keep in mind: Sharpening them is a task. Only certain sharpeners will work. If you aren't good with sharpening knives, leave it to a pro. The only home sharpener I've found that works on these blades is called Firestone. It looks like the cheap Chef's Choice model you can buy in a department store, but has diamond impregnated stones.

jda67gta 05-03-2012 3:05pm

Warthog by V-Sharp....

http://www.wyfoodtrust.com/wp-conten...2/IMG_0713.jpg

:seasix:

Vette Jockey 05-03-2012 4:23pm

My wife has some Wolfgang Puck Knives she has never been happy with. Cold Steel is out here in Ventura and has a parking lot sale a couple of times a year. They had a set in a wooden block with six steak knives.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2210_14755271

Anyone that has used a Cold Steel Knife knows that they are very sharp. I bought them and told her not to cut herself because they are very sharp. Well, that was the second to the last time she cut herself with them.

A year later, she is still happy with them and they are still sharp. :D

Mirroredshades 05-03-2012 7:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 651340)
Something to keep in mind: Sharpening them is a task. Only certain sharpeners will work. If you aren't good with sharpening knives, leave it to a pro. The only home sharpener I've found that works on these blades is called Firestone. It looks like the cheap Chef's Choice model you can buy in a department store, but has diamond impregnated stones.

Good info. :seasix:

I suppose it's time for me to learn how to sharpen knives. I'd probably like some of the knives I already have if I coould put an edge on the damn things.

:needcoffee:

Jobaka 05-08-2012 11:12am

Quote:

:seasix: Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one online. That gives me a few days to stock up on peroxide and band-aids.

Quote:

Keep in mind that most chefs in professional kitchens use Globe knives. They are super sharp with phenolic handles and can take a beating. However, most home chefs want to look like they apprenticed for Wolfgang Puck. :rofl:

I can't fine Globe. Did you mean Global?

Iron Chef 05-08-2012 9:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 655552)
:seasix: Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one online. That gives me a few days to stock up on peroxide and band-aids.

I can't fine Globe. Did you mean Global?

Yes, sorry...Global knives is the brand. You'll be pleased with the sharpener. Four or five swipes and you're good to go. :seasix:

LilRedCorvette 05-08-2012 10:57pm

Quote:

Wusthof and Henckels are nearly identical. Both good quality knives. I have Wusthof Classics but no argument about Henckels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 655552)

Can either of you share a link to where you bought said sharpener? Thanks :cert:

Jobaka 05-08-2012 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 656387)
Can either of you share a link to where you bought said sharpener? Thanks :cert:

I ordered mine from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DZ10O/ref=pe_175190_21431760_A1_cs_sce_dp_1
I'm only assuming it's the one IC was talking about.

Iron Chef 05-09-2012 4:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 656399)
I ordered mine from Amazon.Amazon.com: Mcgowan Firestone 2-Stage Knife Sharpener: Kitchen & Dining

I'm only assuming it's the one IC was talking about.

Nope...this is the one I have. Same brand but electric:

http://www.amazon.com/Mcgowan-Firestone-Electric-Sharpener-Black/dp/B0002CHGDU
I wasn't aware that they made a manual sharpener...sorry!

By the way...regarding your knives...they are hand wash only (at least the Wusthofs and Henckels that I was referring to). DO NOT put them in the dishwasher as the soaps and high heat will ruin the phenolic resin handles.

LilRedCorvette 05-09-2012 8:56am

Thanks for the info you guys :seasix: I only hand wash my knives but they definitely could use sharpening, something I've been afraid to do myself! :willy:

Bucwheat 05-11-2012 2:33pm

Anyone ever use the Ceramic knives that have shown up lately? Any good?

Iron Chef 05-11-2012 3:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucwheat (Post 658952)
Anyone ever use the Ceramic knives that have shown up lately? Any good?

Ceramics...for example Kyocera...can be extremely sharp, however you have two drawbacks with them: One, being ceramic, if they are dropped they can break a lot easier than a steel knife and two, sharpening them usually requires returning them to the manufacturer.

I don't know a thing about sharpening intervals however. I'd guess it depends upon how...and how often...they are used.