The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A.O.Smith Water heater issue (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124213)

04 commemorative 12-02-2020 9:23am

A.O.Smith Water heater issue

After Super Storm Sandy came through and under our home doing over $250,000.00 worth of damage I was forced to move the water heater and hot air furnace up into the attic (Insurance) so anyway it is 7 years old and has been making crackling and thumping sounds from inside the tank when you are using hot water and either turn on the cold water or flush the toilet (makes no sense to me) Wife looked it up on google and said we probably needed to flush the tank and then a local and very good Plumber confirmed it so....I shut heater off let it cool down awhile,opened two hot water faucets to get air flow into tank and drained it totally into the bathtub....then ran the cold water feed into it a few times and drained it again.
While doing all this I was surprised how little debris came out....I guess being on the barrier island the water is very soft. Anyway I refilled tank,turned on the burner and reheated the water.
Still making the sounds...plumber says he does not believe it is a dangerous thing and we did everything correct. His advice was either live with noise or he can install a new water heater,then it will all be on him.
So what do the fine folks here that know plumbing think ?

z06psi 12-02-2020 9:24am

icnlt

Strats-N-Vettes 12-02-2020 9:33am

I drain the tank from the tank valve, not the faucets.

Stevedore 12-02-2020 9:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1828418)

Exactly. Hot water leaves from near the top; sediment is on the bottom.

Rodnok1 12-02-2020 9:40am

Nothing dangerous about water heaters as long as over pressure valves working.
Perhaps it's a pipe making noise not the tank?

He said opening faucets to allow air in, pretty sure he drained from the tank drain.

Strats-N-Vettes 12-02-2020 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1828420)
He said opening faucets to allow air in, pretty sure he drained from the tank drain.

Hey alky...he said he drained it into the tub...put the shine down and focus.

Quote:

I shut heater off let it cool down awhile, opened two hot water faucets to get air flow into tank and drained it totally into the bathtub

:funnier: :funnier: :funnier:

Bill 12-02-2020 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1828419)
Exactly. Hot water leaves from near the top; sediment is on the bottom.

We have hard water in our area. So sediment, like calcium scale, seems like it would be a benefit, providing a protective layer so the bottom of the water heater doesn't rust out.

Mike Mercury 12-02-2020 10:16am

https://pics.me.me/they-be-like-just...ed-8921013.png

mrvette 12-02-2020 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1828423)

I NOT going back to read the OP again, but I seem to recollect he said the WH was put/moved to the attic, SO I assume the attic is above the tub used to drain the WH......:issues:

Mike Mercury 12-02-2020 10:25am

Quote:

Hey alky...

https://memegenerator.net/img/instan...alky-alone.jpg

Strats-N-Vettes 12-02-2020 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1828433)
I NOT going back to read the OP again, but I seem to recollect he said the WH was put/moved to the attic, SO I assume the attic is about the tub used to drain the WH......:issues:

So; the bathtub is in the attic is your hypothesis?
:bigears:

Rodnok1 12-02-2020 10:41am

Quote:

It's Mr Alky if you're gonna be nasty about it gator fluffer....

04 commemorative 12-02-2020 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1828418)

I did, if you read the post I opened the hot water faucets to get air into tank so it would drain :seasix:

thecornerman 12-02-2020 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1828415)
After Super Storm Sandy came through and under our home doing over $250,000.00 worth of damage I was forced to move the water heater and hot air furnace up into the attic (Insurance) so anyway it is 7 years old and has been making crackling and thumping sounds from inside the tank when you are using hot water and either turn on the cold water or flush the toilet (makes no sense to me) Wife looked it up on google and said we probably needed to flush the tank and then a local and very good Plumber confirmed it so....I shut heater off let it cool down awhile,opened two hot water faucets to get air flow into tank and drained it totally into the bathtub....then ran the cold water feed into it a few times and drained it again.

While doing all this I was surprised how little debris came out....I guess being on the barrier island the water is very soft. Anyway I refilled tank,turned on the burner and reheated the water.

Still making the sounds...plumber says he does not believe it is a dangerous thing and we did everything correct. His advice was either live with noise or he can install a new water heater,then it will all be on him.

So what do the fine folks here that know plumbing think ?

The sediment sits on the bottom in a goey jelotness mass.
Drain the tank as you previously did, remove the inlet pipe at the top of the water heater and pour in 2 gallons of white vinegar then let it sit over night. The next day with all the faucets closed and the drain on the heater open turn the water back on, shit should come out the drain.
While the water is off find the lowest point in the delivery system and have that open, then open every faucet in the house. This will allow all the anti water hammer cushions to drain

Grey Ghost 12-02-2020 11:28am

A.O. Smith built both the Corvettes I once owned.

"Many new mid-year Corvette owners
aren’t aware that there were
TWO plants that built ’64-’67 Corvette
bodies; half were built at St. Louis,
and half were built under contract by
the A.O. Smith Corporation in Ionia,
Michigan."

04 commemorative 12-02-2020 11:39am

Nice to know but does not help me :slap::lol:

Rodnok1 12-02-2020 11:45am

You haven't noticed any pressure loss have you.

Strats-N-Vettes 12-02-2020 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1828446)
I did, if you read the post I opened the hot water faucets to get air into tank so it would drain :seasix:

I did read it Pinky :spdchk:.... opened for air displacement, then, you drained into the bathtub.

opened two hot water faucets to get air flow into tank and drained it totally into the bathtub

Steve_R 12-02-2020 11:50am

I've never simply drained a water heater, I flush them by leaving the water supply on while opening the drain. That seems to flush any sediment out better than just gravity draining would.

Strats-N-Vettes 12-02-2020 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1828440)
It's Mr Alky if you're gonna be nasty about it gator fluffer....

My apologies Mr. Alky

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1828460)
I've never simply drained a water heater, I flush them by leaving the water supply on while opening the drain. That seems to flush any sediment out better than just gravity draining would.

Thanks
Pocket protector collectors forum -------------->