The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MCM Hood VS knockoff...opinions??? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115)

matt3310 11-22-2009 8:06pm

MCM Hood VS knockoff...opinions???

I want an MCM hood for my Vette. I thought I had a hood bought, but I got the e-mail today I cant get that one.

So now Im torn between the MCM hood, or the Ecklers copy of the hood. Anybody know of any fitment issues with either? Is the Ecklers ok to go with??

What about Corvette Creationz hood? Anyonr know anything about them?

Matt

WKMCD 11-22-2009 8:27pm

Most people end up paying as much to get the knock-offs to fit as they would to just buy the MCM in the first place. My MCM fits better than than the OEM did.

My $.02

Culookin 11-22-2009 9:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKMCD (Post 14117)
Most people end up paying as much to get the knock-offs to fit as they would to just buy the MCM in the first place. My MCM fits better than than the OEM did.

My $.02

:withstupid: My MCM hood fitment is top notch per my body guy. I know MCM is no longer owned by the original guy that started the company, and don't know if that means there has been any changes in production quality...

Y2Kvert4me 11-22-2009 10:21pm

The Eckler's version fits just as well as the MCM.

The cost difference is it is fiberglass, not carbon fiber. MCM was asked to make a 'glass version of their hood, they refused, but instead allowed Eckler's to produce it.

It really is not a copy, it is an exact duplicate based off the MCM mold. For the 15# or so weight difference, the Eckler's hood is a good buy for the money, and it will fit well.

I too have a real MCM CF hood, and it fits well. But I know of several that bought the Echler's fiberglass equivalent, and they had no complaints with the fit.

:cheers:

Evil_C5 11-23-2009 10:31pm

I want a MCM so bad! I keep waiting to have extra cash to get one, but im afraid it might be another 16 years for that....

Sneaks 11-24-2009 1:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil_C5 (Post 14298)
I want a MCM so bad! I keep waiting to have extra cash to get one, but im afraid it might be another 16 years for that....

Sell the Rolex. Jus sayin......:leaving:

Peter Pan 11-25-2009 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 14371)
Sell the Rolex. Jus sayin......:leaving:

:rofl::rofl:

71corv 11-25-2009 8:46pm

Have had the MCM hood for several years. A perfect fit right out of the box. Can't say yea/nay on the other hood now, but I do know when I purchased the MCM there were problems with the other hood's fit. YMMV

Gene :drivingskid: