The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   small town excitement-had to stop for train-1st time since I moved here in 03 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118416)

JRD77VET 01-15-2019 9:54pm

small town excitement-had to stop for train-1st time since I moved here in 03

1 Attachment(s)
I was pleasantly surprised to actually have to stop for a train on my way home tonight. We moved here in October of 2003 and this is the first time I've had to stop for the train on Station Rd. This crossing is about a mile from my house.

It's just a single track for bringing products to a few local business and only runs a few times a week.

It wasn't a long wait, it was the engine plus three tankers :lol:

On the signal above the word "STOP" is the blue sign with the phone number and track location Loco Vette mentioned in another thread. :cool1:

MrPeabody 01-15-2019 10:28pm

Not one foot of railroad track has ever been laid in the county where I live.

LilRedCorvette 01-15-2019 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1656013)
On the signal above the word "STOP" is the blue sign with the phone number and track location Loco Vette mentioned in another thread. :cool1:

I've been at a few RR crossings since his post and found that sign, too :hurray: good info :seasix:

87 Ragtop 01-16-2019 2:59am

I grew up in a small town where waiting on a train was an expectation... Don't miss it LOL. Cool to see though.

Just discovered they have a live stream now :willy:

87 Ragtop 01-16-2019 3:09am

Video of one of the train enthusiasts. I don't doubt his number of 70-80 trains over 24 hours. They called it the cross roads of the B&O.

Antfarmer2 01-16-2019 6:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1656028)
I've been at a few RR crossings since his post and found that sign, too :hurray: good info :seasix:

What info is that for those that missed it.:confused5: Or forgot.:sadangel:

04 commemorative 01-16-2019 7:58am

:seasix:

6spdC6 01-16-2019 8:42am

We live rural and if coming back on a certain way leaving the city area there is a good chance of getting cought by a very slow freight train. We normally do not take this route home as the tracks take the train through a large chemical plant and there is a sharp turn right after.

You get cought there and it could be a hour wait, or a turn around and a lot of backtracking. The natives know the trains schedule as it is posted but most other drivers do not. As stated we hardly use that route.

mrvette 01-16-2019 9:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1656023)
Not one foot of railroad track has ever been laid in the county where I live.

Because if the survey is off 1/4 of an INCH, that covers 6 acres of ground.....

:issues::rofl:

mrvette 01-16-2019 9:31am

Watching that Ohio vid. reminds me of here in OP, there is a north/south route following the St. Johns river, through middle of town, and there are houses backed up right to the tracks, I was doing a job in one when a train went through, a slo freight....that house rumbled like a major combat was happening next door, Rock and ROLL!!!!

I"d just imagine when one of the much faster passenger trains goes by.....

I live about 2.5 miles from the track, and hear the trains all the time, at all 3 major crossroads......they have rebuilt all 3 of them about 4X each since I been here....TWO 3 lane roads, each side, and one just a single lane each side...in the middle....
AND too boot, the local billionaires keep their own private rail coaches on a siding here in OP.....stepson in the HVAC trade gets to work on the gear in the coaches when prepping for use.....which has been declining in recent years....many of the mansions have been sold off and vacated to other use with time passing on.....

:shots:

LilRedCorvette 01-16-2019 11:28am

Found it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antfarmer2 (Post 1656035)
What info is that for those that missed it.:confused5: Or forgot.:sadangel:

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...47&postcount=6

:seasix:

Cybercowboy 01-16-2019 2:43pm

Until the city of Joplin built a couple of big-ass viaducts for the train to chug along on/under, getting stopped by very long and annoying trains happened all the damn time. You can still get caught in a couple places, but most savvy locals know what to do if they see one coming and can divert to a short detour.

simpleman68 01-16-2019 9:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1656013)

It wasn't a long wait, it was the engine plus three tankers :lol:

Cool train. Three tankers must've felt like nothing at all to that engine.
Scott

JRD77VET 01-16-2019 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1656104)
Cool train. Three tankers must've felt like nothing at all to that engine.
Scott

:iagree:

The train speed limit is 15 mph too :lol:

We can see the RR tracks from the house and if we have to go that way with the train moving that way, there is another road that has a RR bridge we can drive under :seasix: