The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   <PSA> "Reagan" Documentary on HBO (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7980)

Sea Six 02-09-2011 6:49pm

<PSA> "Reagan" Documentary on HBO

7pm CDT

Family members, biographers and historians discuss the life and legacy of President Ronald Reagan.

:flag:

:patriot:

cdg2000c5 02-09-2011 7:05pm

I have my dvr set for the one on history channel.. sometime tonight I believe

lspencer534 02-09-2011 7:24pm

Try as they may, the media, pundits, and critics have doggedly tried to minimize Ronald Reagan. They have been determined to mar his legacy and to portray him as a hapless, unscholarly, dimwit with charm. They miss the point: Reagan was elected at a time when National morale was at its nadir, inflation and interest rates were out of control, little tyrants kidnapped Americans and held them in Iran with impunity.

A friend of mine once asked me what was my "best" vote for President. I replied, "Ronald Reagan" without hesitation. He was a leader; he gave America what it sorely needed at the time--someone who believed in people, who caused them to realize that they had the power and the ability to be great, and who placed America on a pedestal that it rightly deserved.

No, he wasn't an intellectual or perhaps even a deep thinker. But, he was exactly what this Country needed. And what he did and believed in worked; the economy improved, the U.S. became powerful again (the Iran hostages were released immediately upon his election), people were proud again. He single-handledly brought down communist Russia without firing a single shot.

People seem to think that Obama is trying to act more like Clinton. No, it's Reagan. It's a disingenuous disguise, but it's working. Reagan considered it a victory if you got 80% of what you wanted. Reagan understood and believed in compromise as the only way to get anything done. (That, and a generous supply of Jelly-Bellys.) I loved Ronald Reagan, and I do consider him one of our greatest Presidents.

Blademaker 02-09-2011 7:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 134838)
Try as they may, the media, pundits, and critics have doggedly tried to minimize Ronald Reagan. They have been determined to mar his legacy and to portray him as a hapless, unscholarly, dimwit with charm. They miss the point: Reagan was elected at a time when National morale was at its nadir, inflation and interest rates were out of control, little tyrants kidnapped Americans and held them in Iran with impunity.

A friend of mine once asked me what was my "best" vote for President. I replied, "Ronald Reagan" without hesitation. He was a leader; he gave America what it sorely needed at the time--someone who believed in people, who caused them to realize that they had the power and the ability to be great, and who placed America on pedestal that it rightly deserved.

No, he wasn't an intellectual or perhaps even a deep thinker. But, he was exactly what this Country needed. And what he did and believed in worked; the economy improved, the U.S. became powerful again (the Iran hostages were released immediately upon his election), people were proud again. He single-handledly brought down communist Russia without firing a single shot.

People seem to think that Obama is trying to act more like Clinton. No, it's Reagan. It's a disingenuous disguise, but it's working. Reagan considered it a victory if you got 80% of what you wanted. Reagan understood and believed in compromise as the only way to get anything done. (That, and a generous supply of Jelly-Bellys.) I loved Ronald Reagan, and I do consider him one of our greatest Presidents.

Well said :above:

Sea Six 02-09-2011 7:30pm

It took a Carter to get a Reagan.

:angel:

Will 02-09-2011 8:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 134838)

No, he wasn't an intellectual or perhaps even a deep thinker.

Actually he was, and that's part of what made him great. Unlike Obama, Bush, etc. the guy had a mastery of the issues. He was also extremely well read, probably more so than the past few presidents combined.

F40 02-09-2011 8:11pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be watching:cheers:

lspencer534 02-09-2011 8:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Will_ (Post 134927)
Actually he was, and that's part of what made him great. Unlike Obama, Bush, etc. the guy had a mastery of the issues. He was also extremely well read, probably more so than the past few presidents combined.

You may make a good point...I did not know that. His brillance was sometime masked by his rather simplistic (and naive-sounding) statement of the issues. I'll never forget when Reagan was asked what he thought about the size of the deficet, which had grown under his administration. He said, "Well...I think it's about right for a Nation this size." Everyone was so non-plussed that they were speechless, while Reagan began to look a little peeved, like, "Let's move along to the important issues."

F40 02-09-2011 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdg2000c5 (Post 134822)
I have my dvr set for the one on history channel.. sometime tonight I believe

I think OP said HBO?:skep:

ChasC5 02-09-2011 8:24pm

:D :above: :D

Z06PDQ 02-09-2011 8:56pm

:sleep:

ChasC5 02-09-2011 9:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z06PDQ (Post 135044)
:sleep:

Oh come on, your not going to do single hand yanks on the couch to Da-God. :D

Sea Six 02-09-2011 9:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by F40 (Post 134962)
I think OP said HBO?:skep:

It was showing up on HBO2 on Cox Cable. It has :45 min left. I'll check to see if it appears again in the near future for you.

Sea Six 02-09-2011 9:04pm

3:05 am - 5:00 am on HD HBO2.

:thumbs:

Will 02-09-2011 9:05pm

Not to veer off course, but as long as he's in the news, let's take a moment to totally discredit the 2 major slanders being bandied about by the left:

1. Reagan was a hypocrite when it came to government spending, and was responsible for a major increase.

FALSE

The slanderers usually use the same idiotic figures, the total $$$ amount of the U.S. national debt.
Like this:

http://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/le...gy/natdebt.gif

Imbeciles. Ever hear of INFLATION??? :lolsmile:

The FACT is, while Reagan was NOT superman and able to single-handedly solve the problem, he did drastically alter the direction of spending. Annual budget increases PLUMMETED under President Reagan, and the national debt increase was more a product of the run-up in spending preceding him. From an average increase of 10.65% under Nixon/Ford, to 13.5% under Carter. Reagan signed budgets with an average increase of under 7%. He LITERALLY halved the annual budget increase trend he inherited from the Carter years:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...tIncreases.png

2. Reagan didn't care about the poor or the working class, "trickle-down" economics was a scam, only the rich benefited.

WRONG again. Sorry leftists, but LBJ's "Great Society" was an abject failure. Reaganomic's rising tide did indeed lift ALL boats:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...holdIncome.png

The latter 2 graphs are my own work, using hard data from GPO Access and the Census Bureau, respectively. If the links no longer function, you can easily find the information from their home pages---they update and re-do their sites constantly, so links don't always last forever. The data does, and historical data tables are always available.

MrPeabody 02-09-2011 9:05pm

There is also one on the History channel. It just started.

Sea Six 02-09-2011 9:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 135062)
There is also one on the History channel. It just started.

Cool! Thanks. I guess that one will have commercials, though.

ChasC5 02-09-2011 9:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Will_ (Post 135060)
Not to veer off course, but as long as he's in the news, let's take a moment to totally discredit the 2 major slanders being bandied about by the left:

1. Reagan was a hypocrite when it came to government spending, and was responsible for a major increase.

FALSE

The slanderers usually use the same idiotic figures, the total $$$ amount of the U.S. national debt.
Like this:

http://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/le...gy/natdebt.gif

Imbeciles. Ever hear of INFLATION??? :lolsmile:

The FACT is, while Reagan was NOT superman and able to single-handedly solve the problem, he did drastically alter the direction of spending. Annual budget increases PLUMMETED under President Reagan, and the national debt increase was more a product of the run-up in spending preceding him. From an average increase of 10.65% under Nixon/Ford, to 13.5% under Carter. Reagan signed budgets with an average increase of under 7%. He LITERALLY halved the annual budget increase trend he inherited from the Carter years:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...tIncreases.png

2. Reagan didn't care about the poor or the working class, "trickle-down" economics was a scam, only the rich benefited.

WRONG again. Sorry leftists, but LBJ's "Great Society" was an abject failure. Reaganomic's rising tide did indeed lift ALL boats:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...holdIncome.png

The latter 2 graphs are my own work, using hard data from GPO Access and the Census Bureau, respectively. If the links no longer function, you can easily find the information from their home pages---they update and re-do their sites constantly, so links don't always last forever. The data does, and historical data tables are always available.

:rofl::lolsmile::rofl:

Sea Six 02-09-2011 9:14pm

My personal favorite RWR quote:

"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."

Amen to that.

ChasC5 02-09-2011 9:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by prseasix (Post 135079)
My personal favorite RWR quote:

"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."

Amen to that.

Boy did we see that this week. :lolsmile:

Hay, how are those Jobs coming? :D