The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Take Good Care of Your Current Cars (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137349)

dvarapala 04-16-2024 9:41am

Take Good Care of Your Current Cars

Pretty soon you won't want to ever buy a new one.

GrandSportC3 04-16-2024 9:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 2246900)
Pretty soon you won't want to ever buy a new one.

They can already shut most new cars down remotely. Most new vehicles have connectivity and could be remotely shut down.

GTOguy 04-16-2024 9:49am

I have a '61, a '65. a '66, a '67, an '83, and an '05 (the last two are pickups) so no worries here. Have had a few of these 40 years or more. They are in top shape.
The last time I thought about buying a new car was 1987 when the Grand National GSX or whatever it was came out. Re-painted a GTO instead. :seasix:

vettemed 04-16-2024 9:49am

If I ever need to or want to replace my '02 and '04, it will be to go to something older, not newer.

ptindall 04-16-2024 10:54am

I've been driving cars from the 2000-2004 era since 2006 and have no plans to change. I do have up to 40 more years of driving in front of me. I'm not sure how that's going to play out. Maybe I will eventually get more modern cars or maybe I will be like GTOguy at his age.

tjfontaine 04-16-2024 11:25am

I wouldn't worry too much about this ... if EVs fall on their face which is likely we will still be able to get internal combustion engine powered vehicles ... Toyota as an example has been purposely slow on EV adoption ....GM and Ford are being bullied into EVs by the FJB administration. And if Trump wins that BS will come to a screeching halt.

DDSLT5 04-16-2024 11:25am

My '22 Silverado is the only vehicle that could be 'shut down' remotely. Everything else is on its own!

Yadkin 04-16-2024 11:30am

There will be a work-around.

GrandSportC3 04-16-2024 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 2246933)
I wouldn't worry too much about this ... if EVs fall on their face which is likely we will still be able to get internal combustion engine powered vehicles ... Toyota as an example has been purposely slow on EV adoption ....GM and Ford are being bullied into EVs by the FJB administration. And if Trump wins that BS will come to a screeching halt.

Not sure what this topic has to do with EVs?? It doesn't matter if your motor is powered by electricity or combustion. If the car is remotely connected to a mothership (and most modern cars are), they can shut down the car already. it doesn't matter if it's electric or gas.

DDSLT5 04-16-2024 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 (Post 2246938)
Not sure what this topic has to do with EVs?? It doesn't matter if your motor is powered by electricity or combustion. If the car is remotely connected to a mothership (and most modern cars are), they can shut down the car already. it doesn't matter if it's electric or gas.

It assumes all future cars will be EVs. I'm not in agreement.

dvarapala 04-16-2024 1:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptindall (Post 2246921)
maybe I will be like GTOguy at his age.

I wouldn't wish that on anybody. :D

Aerovette 04-16-2024 1:21pm

If the government can do it, hackers can do it.
I am sure the government would not want hackers to shut down government vehicles
Therefore, there must be away to disable the ability.
If there is a way around it, it will be made available to the public one way or another (except in California :D)

dvarapala 04-16-2024 1:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 2246969)
If the government can do it, hackers can do it.

Maybe - if those hackers are backed by nation-state resources. Joe Average Hacker isn't going to have access to electron microscopes and other equipment necessary to reverse-engineer modern cybersecurity.

GrandSportC3 04-16-2024 1:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDSLT5 (Post 2246957)
It assumes all future cars will be EVs. I'm not in agreement.

Again, what method of propulsion has nothing to do with the topic of this post. Gasoline powered cars have an electric system and that system can be shut down remotely as well if they have connectivity. This is a general problem. Right now, car manufacturers won't usually shut down a car without a court order. We can't allow government or any government agencies to get access to shutting down cars without following due process.

lrobe22 04-16-2024 1:53pm

Which cars can currently be shut down remotely?

Aerovette 04-16-2024 1:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 2246974)
Maybe - if those hackers are backed by nation-state resources. Joe Average Hacker isn't going to have access to electron microscopes and other equipment necessary to reverse-engineer modern cybersecurity.

I don't think it would take that level. You just have to trick the system in to thinking it is not moving when it is, or is going left instead of right, or is in the driveway, etc.

Just like you can trick an O2 sensor, or an electronic transmission to alter shift points, or a speedometer to read differently.

DDSLT5 04-16-2024 1:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 (Post 2246983)
Again, what method of propulsion has nothing to do with the topic of this post. Gasoline powered cars have an electric system and that system can be shut down remotely as well if they have connectivity. This is a general problem.

Duh.

DDSLT5 04-16-2024 1:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 2246988)
Which cars can currently be shut down remotely?

Any car with OnStar. That's a start.

GTOguy 04-16-2024 1:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2246937)
There will be a work-around.

Your workarounds are sitting in your garage. The '64 Z-code Thunderchicken and the '74 Pasta-Rocket.:)

RedLS1GTO 04-16-2024 2:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 (Post 2246938)
If the car is remotely connected to a mothership (and most modern cars are), they can shut down the car already. it doesn't matter if it's electric or gas.

There's a difference between cars that have a remote connection and cars that won't function without it.

My Audi "communicates". It does not require that communication to function. My 2015 truck "communicates" with GM through OnStar. It doesn't have to in order to function. In the case of the truck, many people have simply unplugged the antenna wire. Boom, no more "remote connection".

I could remove any remote connection to any of my vehicles in about 10 minutes with no downside whatsoever. Will a Tesla function without being connected to Elon?