The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   "HONK if I'm paying your..." (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29486)

Mike Mercury 02-09-2012 10:25am

"HONK if I'm paying your..."

cell phone bill ???

Tax Payers Footing the Cell Phone Bill for Millions of Low Income Americans
Last year, a federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover free cell phones and the monthly bills of 12.5 million wireless accounts. The program, overseen by the FCC and intended to help low-income Americans, is popular for obvious reasons, with participation rising steeply since 2008, when the government paid $772 million for phones and monthly bills. But observers complain that the program suffers from poor oversight, in which phones go to people who don't qualify, and hundreds of thousands of those who do qualify have more than one phone.

Last summer, a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review story shed some light on a government program that relatively few Americans knew existed. (Read more about it here.) The Lifeline program provides low-income Americans with free cell phones (basic ones such as those made by Tracfone, not smartphones) and covers up to 250 free minutes each month. As many as 5.5 million residents in Pennsylvania alone could qualify for the program, which is funded primarily by the Universal Service Fund fee added to the bills of land-line and wireless customers.

The program came to be after the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was passed, and the FCC created the Universal Service Fund to help "to promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable, and affordable rates," among other things. All telecommunications carriers must pay into the fund, and many do so by tacking on a fee to each of their customers' bills. It's probably added into your monthly wireless bill and your landline bill, if you still have one.

The Universal Service Fund provides discounts on phone services, or in some cases, entirely free services to low-income Americans. The fund helps pay for landlines or cell phones, whichever the recipient prefers. There's also a one-time discount of up to $30 to cover an installation fee or a cell phone. Considering how cheap some cell phones are nowadays, the money more than covers the costs of a basic phone. Then, the fund covers phone bills to the tune of $10 a month, which typically translates as 250 minutes for wireless plans of the types of phones we're talking about. Americans who receive food stamps, Medicaid, or other federal aid, or who earn up to 135% of the federal poverty guidelines, qualify for the program.

Now, Bloomberg Businessweek reports, we have a pretty good idea of how much the program pays out -- and how quickly it's growing as more and more people find out about it. In 2011, Lifeline paid out $1.6 billion, more than double the amount paid in 2008 ($772 million).

What's more, an FCC audit of the program last year showed that many participants in the program were taking more than their fair share. According to Businessweek:

269,000 wireless Lifeline subscribers were receiving free phones and monthly service from two or more carriers.

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) has been taking a closer look at the program since she personally received an invitation to apply for a free, government-subsidized cell phone in the mail. McCaskill has asked the FCC to investigate Lifeline. As a result, the FCC is building a database to see if a subscriber has more than one subsidized phone. In other words, until recently, such a database didn't exist.
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...g8gfo1_400.jpg

LATB 02-09-2012 10:33am

60 million Americans receive government handouts/assistance/welfare/entitlements...

this country is at a tipping point.

this fall's elections maybe the most significant since the election of Lincoln...in terms of saving the republic and the country's direction.

onedef92 02-09-2012 10:36am

No doubt part of Obama's re-election strategy and shit....

wicked_c6 02-09-2012 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 570635)

I'd put a lil cream in her coffee. <Sir Mix Alot>So ladies if your butt is round...and you want a wicked_c6 throw down... </Sir Mix Alot>

kingpin 02-09-2012 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicked_c6 (Post 570654)
I'd put a lil cream in her coffee. <Sir Mix Alot>So ladies if your butt is round...and you want a wicked_c6 throw down... </Sir Mix Alot>

You Nastyyyy! :yesnod:

6spdC6 02-09-2012 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 570635)
cell phone bill ???

Tax Payers Footing the Cell Phone Bill for Millions of Low Income Americans
Last year, a federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover free cell phones and the monthly bills of 12.5 million wireless accounts. The program, overseen by the FCC and intended to help low-income Americans, is popular for obvious reasons, with participation rising steeply since 2008, when the government paid $772 million for phones and monthly bills. But observers complain that the program suffers from poor oversight, in which phones go to people who don't qualify, and hundreds of thousands of those who do qualify have more than one phone.

Last summer, a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review story shed some light on a government program that relatively few Americans knew existed. (Read more about it here.) The Lifeline program provides low-income Americans with free cell phones (basic ones such as those made by Tracfone, not smartphones) and covers up to 250 free minutes each month. As many as 5.5 million residents in Pennsylvania alone could qualify for the program, which is funded primarily by the Universal Service Fund fee added to the bills of land-line and wireless customers.

The program came to be after the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was passed, and the FCC created the Universal Service Fund to help "to promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable, and affordable rates," among other things. All telecommunications carriers must pay into the fund, and many do so by tacking on a fee to each of their customers' bills. It's probably added into your monthly wireless bill and your landline bill, if you still have one.

The Universal Service Fund provides discounts on phone services, or in some cases, entirely free services to low-income Americans. The fund helps pay for landlines or cell phones, whichever the recipient prefers. There's also a one-time discount of up to $30 to cover an installation fee or a cell phone. Considering how cheap some cell phones are nowadays, the money more than covers the costs of a basic phone. Then, the fund covers phone bills to the tune of $10 a month, which typically translates as 250 minutes for wireless plans of the types of phones we're talking about. Americans who receive food stamps, Medicaid, or other federal aid, or who earn up to 135% of the federal poverty guidelines, qualify for the program.

Now, Bloomberg Businessweek reports, we have a pretty good idea of how much the program pays out -- and how quickly it's growing as more and more people find out about it. In 2011, Lifeline paid out $1.6 billion, more than double the amount paid in 2008 ($772 million).

What's more, an FCC audit of the program last year showed that many participants in the program were taking more than their fair share. According to Businessweek:

269,000 wireless Lifeline subscribers were receiving free phones and monthly service from two or more carriers.

Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) has been taking a closer look at the program since she personally received an invitation to apply for a free, government-subsidized cell phone in the mail. McCaskill has asked the FCC to investigate Lifeline. As a result, the FCC is building a database to see if a subscriber has more than one subsidized phone. In other words, until recently, such a database didn't exist.
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...g8gfo1_400.jpg

Gee Tim how are you going to feel when the government in all its major largess starts giving out laptops or possibly full size with free internet to all that ghetto garbage.

If I go to a store close to a city its nothing unusual to see a welfare slug or 2 on the phone from the time they get out of their car, doing shopping and paying with an EBT card then getting back in their jalopy with 24'' rims and still yacking. Sort of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling!

Chris Fowler 02-09-2012 11:09am

cell phones are a right, you know.

It's right there in the bill of rights. Freedom of speech. There is no limit specified on the distance, so cell phones are definitely a right.

onedef92 02-09-2012 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 570672)
Get your relocation plans ready folks. This country doesn't have much longer, sadly.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Idiocracy.jpg like a mofo.... :sad:

C5SilverBullet 02-09-2012 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 570672)
Get your relocation plans ready folks. This country doesn't have much longer, sadly.

My plan was put in motion almost 3 years ago, I moved to the Republic of Texas. :lol:

onedef92 02-09-2012 11:15am

Now I'm starting to see why America isn't mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

Rotorhead 02-09-2012 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 570718)
My plan was put in motion almost 3 years ago, I moved to the Republic of Mexico. :lol:

Fixt

onedef92 02-09-2012 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 570727)
There is a reason. :yesnod:

She's not going to be around to help Israel defeat the armies of Gog and Magog (Russia and China) at Megiddo. A has-been nation fallen off into irrelevance and obscurity. :sadangel:

The only thing holdin' this joker together is the prayers and deeds of faithful Christians and once we get raptured out, it's over like rover....

Oh, glorious day! The marriage supper of the Lamb!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...rl/Rapture.jpg

Vette40th 02-09-2012 11:33am

The FCC says they are no saving us money. How liberal of them. Save us by cancelling the program altogether is the right thing to do.
My fee to allow these people to have free phones is 3.61 a month atSprint.
Lifeline and Link Up: Affordable Telephone Service for Income-Eligible Consumers | FCC.gov

Bucwheat 02-09-2012 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 570650)
No doubt part of Obama's re-election strategy and shit....

The more people he has on the welfare dime the more votes he gets from them.

Yerf Dog 02-09-2012 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 570714)

One of the scariest movies I've seen. It's pretty accurate. :willy:

onedef92 02-09-2012 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yerf Dog (Post 570768)
One of the scariest movies I've seen. It pretty accurate. :willy:

I was stunned by how prophetically insightful it is, too. For a comedy, it makes some good points.

onedef92 02-09-2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucwheat (Post 570759)
The more people he has on the welfare dime the more votes he gets from them.

That's the major thrust behind Obamacare, too.