The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   CAT people, help..... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123629)

mrvette 09-13-2020 2:31pm

CAT people, help.....

Surely I have posted about wife loosing her mother last spring, and then not two months later, we lost her Chiwawa, and then the sister to the cat in question just got really sick and ran off......

SO the larger male brother of the run off cat has taken maybe a week to totally change his habits.....will not eat solid food, licks up the sauces/grease/whatever in the bowl, but damn little actual solid FOOD, drink water ok......but we have tried all sorts of different foods to help him out, he has lost a bit of weight some months ago, but seems ok.....

He jumps up on my lounge chair arm many times a day....maybe 20 or so....never did it before maybe once a WEEK if that....

SO I wonder what is going on.....he sense something about MY health?? having spinal surgery and all....or is it HIS health??

mystery.....:issues::dance::shots:

Shrike6 09-13-2020 2:51pm

He misses his companion, and it affects his appetite. He also is trying to substitute your companionship. He’s upset. Cats are like that.

6spdC6 09-13-2020 4:03pm

He is lonesome. He might just start pooping and peeing on the floor close by but not into the cat box. (If Indoor cat) Its what they sometimes do.

We had Maine Coon Cats and one died at age 12 and the 11 YO one did that attention gambit!

We went to the county shelter and took home a 10YO to keep the coon happy

A good solution, after the obligatory cat noises they get along well together.

99 pewtercoupe 09-13-2020 4:18pm

Yup. He is lonely. Contrary to what a lot of people may think, cats do better when they are with other cat(s). Same with dogs.
Years ago we had a Samoyed/Golden Retriever mix. My wife and I both worked and the dog would get lonely and bored. Would get into things and just make a mess. We ended up getting a cat and he settled shortly. They became great friends

Rikki Z-06 09-13-2020 4:28pm

Yup, he's lonely. :yesnod:

MikeB 09-13-2020 6:18pm

How old is he?

We're having a similar problem with one of our cats whose 14 y/o (SO is down to 8 now).

Rotting teeth, can't eat solid food.

mrvette 09-13-2020 6:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touringmike (Post 1805601)
How old is he?

We're having a similar problem with one of our cats whose 14 y/o (SO is down to 8 now).

Rotting teeth, can't eat solid food.

Bo is about 14 y/o as was his litter mate sister that died off a few months ago......and wife did mention if his teeth were well or not

but the food is all mush wet, greazy, smelly....but not the dry hard stuff they both ate off for some 14 years.....

:sadangel:

Bill 09-13-2020 6:50pm

Gene, it sounds like you need another cat. Can I mail you Fuzzball?

No returns, no refunds.

99 pewtercoupe 09-13-2020 6:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1805625)
Gene, it sounds like you need another cat. Can I mail you Fuzzball?

No returns, no refunds.

I KNEW this post was coming. Was just a toss up between BD and Snide as to who would reply first :funnier:

Raazor 09-13-2020 7:05pm

Yup... misses the mate. Luckily, it's just a cat :thumbs: We lost ours recently.

Rikki Z-06 09-13-2020 7:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1805638)
Yup... misses the mate. Luckily, it's just a cat :thumbs: We lost ours recently.

:funnier::funnier:

:kick:
You ain't right. :yesnod:

dvarapala 09-13-2020 7:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrike6 (Post 1805503)
He misses his companion, and it affects his appetite. He also is trying to substitute your companionship. He’s upset. Cats are like that.

At the very least. He may also have a health issue of his own. Keep a close eye on him OP. :yesnod:

snide 09-14-2020 6:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1805631)
I KNEW this post was coming. Was just a toss up between BD and Snide as to who would reply first :funnier:

I thought about offering to mail my two cats, or posting a "chicken" recipe. :shrug:

Stevedore 09-14-2020 6:45am

Have him examined by a veterinarian, might be a tooth issue. :island14: